First bike/mods

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1934CA

Reaction score
OK, this is my first time posting and I'm a new member as I just got my 2000 Max last weekend, but have wanted one for over 20 years. I've read a bunch of the postings about what should be changed and why, but I haven't found an answer to a couple of questions.

1. Why is the stock fork brace so bad? Too thin? I have a Bridgeport and CNC mills at work so think I could make my own - anybody try, other than UFO?

2. Is it possible to have the V-Boost on all the time? I haven't seen a kit for that here or on eBay.

I'm going to try the fork brace and leave the bike stock until I can afford an exhaust system change. At least that's the plan for now - I tend to get carried away with modifying things!

OK, this is my first time posting and I'm a new member as I just got my 2000 Max last weekend, but have wanted one for over 20 years. I've read a bunch of the postings about what should be changed and why, but I haven't found an answer to a couple of questions.

1. Why is the stock fork brace so bad? Too thin? I have a Bridgeport and CNC mills at work so think I could make my own - anybody try, other than UFO?

2. Is it possible to have the V-Boost on all the time? I haven't seen a kit for that here or on eBay.

I'm going to try the fork brace and leave the bike stock until I can afford an exhaust system change. At least that's the plan for now - I tend to get carried away with modifying things!

Welcome to the forum and post some pics of your new max!

1. The stock fork brace is not the weakest area on the max - I would say, if you still stock fork springs, that would be well worth changing to Progressive or Racetech springs and 15wt oil - this will improve front suspension alot.

An easy and cheap way (free) of having vboost on all the time, is to unplug the vboost controller and/or the servo motor - the controller is located under the left scoop the servo motor is under the airbox, in front of the carb bank - both are a round plug connection. Turn the key to the on position and unplug the connection after the first weer sound (vboost opening, but before the sound weer sound, vboost closing. Leave the connection unplugged and you have full vboost all the time.

Mike

Welcome! The stock fork brace is weak. I added the UFO and it seemed to help steady the front out some at higher speeds. As you will see, the Max eats gas like crazy. I wouldn't want the boost on all of the time. You can get the switch to have it come on at 3k instead of 6k. Earlier than that seems a waste of fuel to me. You can add some slip-ons without needing to jet it. You would just tune the mixture screws. it worked for me anyway. I'm running supertrapps with 8 discs each. They saved me about 28 lbs too. Good luck!

I guess you need to clarify that the Max "eats gas like crazy". A well tuned max will get 35-40+ mpg which is not all that bad in my book. Switching the V-boost on all the time will actually not increase speed or power even though it may "feel" like it is.

The stock fork brace is not the strongest part for sure but far from the weak link. With your mill access you should be able to fab up a better part for sure.

UFO, Superbrace, and a few others are available if you don't feel like making one.

Adding an aftermarket system will enhance the bike with both lighter weight and more power (more power only with full headers - not just slip-ons). Jet kits (either mine or stage seven) are only really useful with the full header change too.

Seats will add more comfort. Better wheels/tire combinations will help handling as well as suspension changes like progressive or racetech parts. Better braking is available with braided lines and even some other changes like masters and or calipers.

Sean

Regarding my gas statement, I'm getting about 97 - 100 miles before my warning light comes on. We run them fairly hard, but not often for extended stretches. Does this mean that I'm that far out of tune? I know I'm not getting 40 mpg for sure, probably a hair more than 30. Thanks.

it's possible that you aren't set to ideal tune which could gain you a bit more mileage. It may be that you haven't tried a constant cruise as well to see what max mileage could be,

Sean

Personally,I say get some pipes first.The V-Max is just not the same without a good growl. Wont do much for performance in any way but still...thats just me. First thing you should do is find a tight winding road to practice on and find out what her quarks are. The V-Max doesnt handle like a sport bike but they can CARVE for their weight if you get familiar enough.Just get to know her before you decide what you need to brace and change.

With my '92, I felt the best route was to upgrade the brakes (HH pads, larger rotors, SS lines) before adding to the performance too much. My brakes were scary at times trying to stop this heavy beast. I also purchased grippier tires (Shinko's) and braking is much better, but not where I want it. I am going rebuild master cyl and add hayabusa 6 pot calipers, which, in combination with HH pads, larger rotors, SS lines should be the fix. The stock fork springs were too weak so I upgraded those too with progressive springs, which was a major improvement in handling. I would also upgrade the rear shocks, I just added progressive 440's and should have done it when I did the fork springs. Ialso added a fork brace, I did notice a little more steering precision but it wasn't the night/ day difference I thought it might be.
I would save your $'s for a full exhaust, maybe a jet kit, but first get the handling and braking up to speed then add the engine performance mods.
Congratulations on finally getting your Vmax and I'm sure you'll find it very enjoyable. You've also joined the best damn Vmax forum on the net!:punk:

Last edited:
I say get some pipes first.The V-Max is just not the same without a good growl. Wont do much for performance in any way ...

I don't know about that, when I put my pipes on there was a noticeable difference besides the sound.

I think your meaning with slip-ons there isn't much of a performance gain.

Absolutely I mean slip-ons. I should have clearified. Slip-ons dont do a thing for performance but a full system will wake up your Max for sure...oh ya know how you can tell if an old hot rod has a small block or big block just by the exhuast resonance?Yeah youre max will sound like the big block version now instead of the small black.

Personally I have rediculous pipes that make lots of growl and shake windows,but dont do MUCH for performance compared to a system. I cant complain though!

New fork springs and oil will make MUCH more of a difference in handling than a fork brace IMO.

Ricor is selling a product called intiminators for the vmax fork. They are having a sale on them right now. Quite a few people have had great success with the product not only for the vmax, but for other bikes as well. Plus, you don't need to disassemble the fork any more than removing the top cap, fork spring, and oil. I purchase a set this summer and plan to install them soon. You can find some information on the company here in our vendor forum.

Sean Morley from Morley's Muscle (see banner at top of the forum page) can work wonders for the vmax seat. I spent $120 on having only the front section of my seat redone and it was an excellent investment. He can also get you just about anything you could ever ask for pertaining to the vmax.

I think exhaust makes a huge difference in the bike. Just the new sound makes riding the bike way more fun. Plus, if you buy a full system you'll get a few more ponies too.

Here is the short list of what I would do in order:

1. Tires-make sure tread is good, if your due for a set go for shinkos or me 880s
2. Brakes- check the pads. if they need replaced go for some ebc HH pads
3. Seat- have sean rework the front, at least. Money well spent.
4. Exhaust- it just makes the bike fun, saves weight, sounds great
5. Jet Kit- maximize the potential of the new exhaust
6. Front end- springs or intimintimators or emulators and springs

If you're looking for an exhaust or jet kit or some other stuff check out the buy/sell section. I have some stuff over there:biglaugh:

Thanks for all of the advice! Since it's a free mod, I think the first thing I will do is make a new fork brace. I've been looking at ebay and other places for exhaust systems, but they are still too expensive for right now. The wife seems to think that since I have the bike our next need is for vacation, not an exhaust system (how do they come up with this?:ummm:)
But, I'm still going to be looking around for a good deal.

I like that Green Light, improve riding skills is seldom mentioned, but good to do the mods first I'd think. My Max like most is a constant work in progress. Radials are my next project.
Steve

Yes,I can agree sdt354. I would LOVE a nice set of radials on the "Cruise Missile".:biglaugh:

I learned very fast...A V-Max does NOT corner like most bikes and knowing yours better than your friends know their bikes can not only be the difference between who gets down the mountain faster but ultimately it can keep you from laying it down.:stickyman:

Theres somthing to be said for experience,especially with a 630lb bike with a wobbly frame,too much torque, and "fair" brakes.Its not that the Max is harder to ride,just different.

The reward pays for itself though when you scream down some twisties and the sport bike guys cant shake you, and the Harley guys cant figure out how you do it!:ten_out_of_ten:
The crowd cheers,half naked women all fight to have you sign their boobs and the local Yamaha sales rep will offer to hang a life size poster of you in his show room!ER... somthing like that:rofl_200:

It's looking like a Kosmen 18 for me. It's all buget allows for now.
I'd say my best riding skill now is knowing the limitations on my bike. Radials would get me where I think it could be though. Pretty pleased with brakes and suspention upgrades, might get a set of ebc floaters for the front soon.
Steve

Welcome to the forum and Happy New Year,

It's not really a "mod" but have your "fit " the bike to you????

Loosten the handel bars and levers---- sit on the bike and find the most comfortable position for the bars. Then move the levers for best position( usually with fingers extended straight form your arms so you don't have to lift to actuate the levers.
Then it's a simular procedure for the gearshift lever and brake pedal.

After a seat change, I would go for good lighting, front and rear.
Lew

it's possible that you aren't set to ideal tune which could gain you a bit more mileage. It may be that you haven't tried a constant cruise as well to see what max mileage could be,

Sean

Cruising speed is also a big facter....When I commute back and forth to work, either the Vmax or the Venture, I avg about 30mpg but I am cruisng at 75mph. However, when I go pleasure riding and cruisng at about 55-60, I get 40 or so....couple weeks ago, got 44 on a stretch :eusa_dance:

Back