First ride 2016

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tothemax93

Reaction score
The temps are getting better around the western NY area. It got to the mid 50's today, so I pulled out the max, I always keep it in a "ready to go" state. I'm going to credit Kyle with this common sense observation, from a thread he started last year. I checked my tire pressures. Rear tire had 10 lbs. I'm glad I didn't go ripping around. A few other observations. I forgot how amazing it sounds, with my Marks 4-1. 95 mph is pretty fast when you haven't been there in a while:eusa_dance:

Cool! How were the road heaves and seams Tim? They always feel a little pointier this time of year. :punk:

I took the '85 out yesterday to see if 2nd gear was good...which it was but holy shriveled stones it was cold!! I'm going out Wednesday for positive and get a few miles in tho....s'posed to be hi-60's possible 70's!!! :worthy:

Cool! How were the road heaves and seams Tim? They always feel a little pointier this time of year. :punk:

I took the '85 out yesterday to see if 2nd gear was good...which it was but holy shriveled stones it was cold!! I'm going out Wednesday for positive and get a few miles in tho....s'posed to be hi-60's possible 70's!!! :worthy:

We've had a pretty mild winter. I think I snow blowed 3x. Just a few days with below zero temps. The roads I was on were good. Still a bit of salt around. Were supposed to get some rain this week. Get the salt washed off. It's supposed to be in the 60's the next few days.

What is snow?:confused2:

This has different meanings in different parts of the country. In the US/Canadian border area, this is a crystallized white powder of solid form which accumulates on the topography, and which causes hazardous driving conditions. It is associated with zero degrees Celsius/thirty-two degrees Farenheit, or less.

In south Florida, the crystallized white powder of solid form is an entirely different type of problem, to wit:

It's a quiet Wednesday evening, and in a nice home in a nice residential area of northwest Homestead, Fla., a neighborhood Crime Watch group is holding its first meeting.

Addressing the citizens are the Homestead chief of police, Curt Ivy, and the police department's Crime Prevention Officer, Charlie Crumpler. They're standing on a nice patio next to a nice pool. They're talking about the kinds of things the citizens should be on the lookout for, the clues that might indicate possible criminal activity. Chief Ivy is saying that this is a pretty quiet area, where not much illegal activity goes on. But the chief is having a little trouble making his point, because of the engine noise from a low-flying plane.
"So I look up," Ivy recalled later, "and this plane is coming, and it's low. It's VERY low. Then I see a package come sailing down."

And of course the package turns out to be a 75-pound bale of cocaine. Falling out of the sky. During a CRIME WATCH MEETING.

This would not happen in any normal place. This probably would not happen in a work of fiction.

"It's too unbelievable!" an editor would say. "It would never happen!"
Except in south Florida, where EVERYTHING seems to happen; where a twin-engine plane fleeing from U.S. Customs aircraft dropped half a ton of cocaine bales before landing at the Homestead General Aviation Airport, where the two men in the plane were arrested.

In other cities, it's big news - press-conference time - when police capture somebody on the ground with a few measly little bags of cocaine. Here we have cocaine packages the size of Pee-wee Herman falling out of the sky.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/392575/ONLY-IN-FLORIDA-DOES-COCAINE-DROP-FROM-SKY.html?pg=all

This has different meanings in different parts of the country. In the US/Canadian border area, this is a crystallized white powder of solid form which accumulates on the topography, and which causes hazardous driving conditions. It is associated with zero degrees Celsius/thirty-two degrees Farenheit, or less.

In south Florida, the crystallized white powder of solid form is an entirely different type of problem, to wit:

It's a quiet Wednesday evening, and in a nice home in a nice residential area of northwest Homestead, Fla., a neighborhood Crime Watch group is holding its first meeting.

Addressing the citizens are the Homestead chief of police, Curt Ivy, and the police department's Crime Prevention Officer, Charlie Crumpler. They're standing on a nice patio next to a nice pool. They're talking about the kinds of things the citizens should be on the lookout for, the clues that might indicate possible criminal activity. Chief Ivy is saying that this is a pretty quiet area, where not much illegal activity goes on. But the chief is having a little trouble making his point, because of the engine noise from a low-flying plane.
"So I look up," Ivy recalled later, "and this plane is coming, and it's low. It's VERY low. Then I see a package come sailing down."

And of course the package turns out to be a 75-pound bale of cocaine. Falling out of the sky. During a CRIME WATCH MEETING.

This would not happen in any normal place. This probably would not happen in a work of fiction.

"It's too unbelievable!" an editor would say. "It would never happen!"
Except in south Florida, where EVERYTHING seems to happen; where a twin-engine plane fleeing from U.S. Customs aircraft dropped half a ton of cocaine bales before landing at the Homestead General Aviation Airport, where the two men in the plane were arrested.

In other cities, it's big news - press-conference time - when police capture somebody on the ground with a few measly little bags of cocaine. Here we have cocaine packages the size of Pee-wee Herman falling out of the sky.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/392575/ONLY-IN-FLORIDA-DOES-COCAINE-DROP-FROM-SKY.html?pg=all
Got it.

Got mine in yesterday - I live in upstate NY. A little chilly but absolutely worth it.

I ended up putting in a modded venture swingarm over the winter, so yesterday was a shakeout run. New Shinko installed as well.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1457404730.404974.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fire-medic that's the easy part of winter in mi/ca. The hard part Is driving across 402 at 5 miles per hour trying to judge wtf you r on the because you have heavy flurries and 70 kilometer winds and your head lights only go 3 ft. One night it was so cold that the flurries turn to snow dust for 10 mile and all I could do is keep going at 0 to 5mph the only way I could judge that night was do to the wind blowing against the side of the truck and trailer and I could see the edge of the road out my side window. I almost quit that night. I never want to do that again.

My first bike ride will be after salt stops and a good heavy rain cleans the roads. Than the pot hole corse starts. Yep michigan pot holes is a how you become a true hooligan.

My first bike ride will be after salt stops and a good heavy rain cleans the roads. Than the pot hole corse starts. Yep michigan pot holes is a how you become a true hooligan.
Same here in WNY.
Tim is only about 45 minutes from me so he knows the deal with road salt and pot holes too.

PS
Tim I'm glad to hear you checked the air in your tires before riding, 10 lbs. in the rear would result in a very "squirrelly ride".

I already put in for a vaca day tomorrow......72 is the latest lie by the forecasters............Work in the garage in the morning.........put a few miles on in the afternoon!!......................

Ah you guys, enjoy the snow! Go tobogganing, drink warm cocoa w/marshmallows, make 'snow angels' w/the kids, then come inside and stuff your boots w/yesterday's newspaper.

I spent >20 years growing-up in western NYS and southwestern MI, so I'm very familiar w/the challenges snow provides, but I never drove a tractor/trailer in snow for a living. I got my driver's license while learning all-about 'lake effect' snow and that a 19 RWHP VW bug (the first generation) can out-perform a 1960's muscle car all winter long. Seeing all those shots of snowbound vehicles on the interstate, and reading about that huge chain-reaction series of accidents on MI I-94 by Galesburg (my exit when I lived in MI), no, I don't miss the bad weather one bit. There's a big reason why I moved south, not just to FL, but to south FL! Now I can ride all year long, and if you treat the poorly-behaving drivers as obstacles to be avoided, you can have a reasonable degree of safety (AGATT, even in the steamy summer).

I'd rather have a hot summer than be subject to the Great Power Outage of 1965 again, I was in h.s. wrestling practice when the lights went out, not an uncommon occurance but they usually were restored after a few minutes, this time, we got sent to the showers before the boilers cooled down. It was weird, you could look north and see the ice on Lake Ontario, lit by the moonlight in the distance, a thin white line, and nearly nothing for lighting between us and the lake except for a few cars' headlights challenging the pervasive darkness. As I recall, it was many hours before the power came back, and my parents were very worried about the waterpipes bursting from being frozen. No, I don't miss the winter.

It will be a while yet for me, although it has warmed up to near 40 degrees we only lost the snow covered roads this past weekend. There is still much sodium sand on the road for my Redbone and it's resting place is still blocked by 60-70' of 2' deep snow. I'm thinking mid April may be the target for first ride 2016.

Latest posts

Back