First valve adjust questions

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At least you got it running. :clapping:If you weren't 2800 miles away, I'd give it a listen. :confused2:Maybe somebody closer to you will step up. Enjoy the ride, for what it's worth.

any chance of recording how it sounds with a phone, camera or video cam? Then post and we'll all have a listen..

Ah, I would if I could....we don't have any such equipment. Heck, I haven't had a TV for going on ten years now. The Vmax is even newer than this pathetic old laptop computer I'm using.

But, I rode it all over town in the rain. It sounds a little different actually, but really not any worse. Hubby says it sounds better, but I met him at the bar and he'd had a pitcher of margaritas and several beers, so his opinion is disputable. To me it sounds just a bit more "tappy" and from what I understand, tappy is loose and loose is better than tight. Am I imagining that is sounds more even and has less of a lope?

I don't feel any difference from the delrin motor mounts but I wasn't pushing it at all in the rain, either.
The temp gauge so far hasn't creeped up near redline, the fan must be coming on sooner with the Napa thermostat.

Meh. I think I can live with this. At least it's out of the garage now so I can finally do the Honda's neck bearings tomorrow. Then the Kawasaki's valves, but I've done them before; they're much easier. THEN all my bikes will be ready for the spring season!

Thanks everyone for the help, for the worksheet, for the experience speaking, thanks Sean for clueing me in about the stator cover gasket, and the shim set. It's off to UPS to the West coast tomorow.
I hope I did a good job, because I'm not doing it again until we have a real lift and lots more lights out there!

Some of these engines seem to be a little talkative by nature, but being you mentioned starter noises earlier, I'd have a peek at the starter clutch bolts.

Can't remember who, but I was told they tend to loosen up a bit when you try and start with a low batt and they will make some noise for ya.

Thanks folks, up and riding.

The mechanic who had his '86 Vmax says it sounds good to him. Sounds good to me too, now that I'm not agonizing in the garage.

Will sound even better when I get the Supertrapps on it!

Who's got the valve shim kit? I may need that back next week if possible.

Sean

Latest posts

Back