Flickering, pulsing lights

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goatman

Reaction score
I have a 91 with 36,xxx miles, the lights don't have a steady glow. This is all the lights, and the pulsing changes with rpm, higher rpm's means faster
pulsing. It is not dramatic, but definately noticable. I have received lots of
help from this forum and am looking for some more. Thanks.

Thanks for the replies, yes there is definitely some kind of fluctuation going on. The battery is pretty new and should not be a problem. I thought I would try the "crimp fix" that I have read about on here also.

I wonder if the regulator/ rectifier that is for sale on the VMOA buy/ sell/ swap section is any better than a old style factory unit. I know the non VMOA members won't be able to see this but here is the ad. VMOA Reg/ Rect
Or would the R1 reg/ rect mod be a better way to go? Gleno's R/R mod

8% better performance... Ooooo Watch out!

I'd do the normal checks... RR and battery.

The crimp fix is always good to do.

I did the crimp fix, and it made a big difference. The fluctuation in the lights is only noticable when dropping rpms down to idle. When at a constant rpm the lights do not flicker like they did before. I did notice a crack in the bottom of one of the coils. At some
point I will do the COPS mod and R1 regulator, but the crimp fix made a nice improvement for now. Thx.

Run the positive and negative wires coming out of the R/R unit directly to battery. Do NOT mix up polarity!!
If you are still using the old style unit that has no ground wire, run a wire from where the unit bolts onto the footpeg bracket, and run that directly to the negative battery post. Doing this gives the electrons a better chance to actually make it to the battery, and negates the need for the "Crimp Fix"...

Back