Float setting issue

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gtotiger1

Reaction score
Ok , well this is strange - has any one had this problem , and if so what is the fix -- i have set my floats as per the dry setting thread, all is well, however twice after sitting the bike for a week one float has changed its setting so high , it allows gass to flow out the overflow on top of the carb. After taking it apart and inspecting, i find the float has raised to the point it will not shut off the needle? I have no one who could figure out how to do this as a bad joke, so some how this is actually happening, and it seems to be a different carb every time ! Any ideas????

Strange. Is the wire on the needle valve seated correctly on the float tang? Is the float sticking? Any binding on the post?

Have the same issue with the rear left carb after the rebuild....turn on the key and the fuel pump overfills the float bowl to the point that it spits out the overflow for that carb

anyone had any luck tapping on float cover? Hopefully it is just a stuck float and not a valve issue

i was too tired last night to look at it any further

it was good to hear it running again though!

I have had one set of carbs that the float support was just a bit long and was flexing when I would tighten the bowl. I ended up tightening the screws 1/2 turn at a time to even out the pressure as I put it on and keep the support in place and float level correct.

Are you sure the float isn't gaining fluid somehome and getting heavier thus causing an overflow.

Sean

I am not sure what the float is doing i have to assume something is stuck in there i hadn't thought about the float support flexing

i am going to try draining the float bowl when i get home and see if that gets it moving i have a feeling it is a stuck inlet valve

i am just trying to avoid pulling the rack out again

Have the same issue with the rear left carb after the rebuild....turn on the key and the fuel pump overfills the float bowl to the point that it spits out the overflow for that carb

anyone had any luck tapping on float cover? Hopefully it is just a stuck float and not a valve issue

i was too tired last night to look at it any further

it was good to hear it running again though!

I had that happen on one of my carbs and tapping on it with a screwdriver end cleared it up. Try the simple things first before pulling out the carbs again.

i can get these carbs out in around 10-15 minutes they look daunting but are really the easiest carbs i have had to work with on a motorcycle. the tough part is getting them back in and sealed tightly against all the rubber intakes....new intake and airbox rubber does help but it is still tricky when you are alone

the tapping did not work unfortunately rack is out and on the bench this is tough because i have never owned one of these before so i do not have anything to compare it to......everything seems fine....overflowing tells me stuck float but it does not seem to be stuck

i will start a new thread and hopefully someone else has experienced the same overflowing issue

Latest posts

Back