Fork preload adjusters

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jedi-

Reaction score
What you're looking at is type 1 and type 2 (early/late forks) preload adjusters.
I've got to make the locknuts and spark a hex drive in the ends but otherwise done.
These will be anodised after I make the nuts.

Should allow a good adjustment range.

Attachments

• 002 (Large).jpg
    002 (Large).jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 187
Are these for personal use or do you intend to go into production?

If the former would you share the dimensions? Also did you feel it necessary to put ant sort of seal between the outer and inner parts?

Perhaps it hasn't come out in the photo but there doesn't appear to be any hexagon on the outer part to help screw it back into the stanchion?

He was making these at our request. Not sure yet just how much info we want to share lol! BUT, he and I can discuss that.

Sean

I am not sure, but I think the 1987/88 FZR1000 fork is 41 mm & they have adjustable spring preload caps, was wondering about those fitting the early VMax downtubes?

I am not sure, but I think the 1987/88 FZR1000 fork is 41 mm & they have adjustable spring preload caps, was wondering about those fitting the early VMax downtubes?

I think fJ's are different. These have been around before though. I've got to look around some.

Last edited:
I just measured my 1992 VMax stock tubes they are a nominal 40 mm while the 1987 FZR1000 tubes are a nominal 41 mm, so it doesn't look like it would work, but I haven't pulled-off caps to see about actual measurements.

Done, weather permitting I might be able to give a set a blast on my own bike on the weekend.

Attachments

• 004 (Large).jpg
    004 (Large).jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 117
Awesome. Now we need to find out what colors we need to stock and a price so we can get these guys taken care of. I am sure black will work for most of them but we may want some other colors too! Silver is also going to be good for many.

Sean

That would depend on what you wanted. If you wanted the option of going softer then current I would say yes. It looks like this might add a very small amount of preload as is but Steve will need to tell us what the overall distance change is compared to the stock part.

Sean

Installing them as they are in "softest' mode will actually add a slight load of about 3mm which obviously needs to start in this position to enable them to be installed in the easiest fashion.
When wound down down they will be about 25-30 mm which does add a heap of pressure.

I knew the colour or color question requests would come and I asked when I had them anodised.A bunch of different colours are definately available but I get hit for a minimum charge for every run.Doing a batch of hundreds is fine because I can mix them up. However doing a short run of 20 simply isn't worth the extra costs involved which would have to be passed on.
So this batch is available in gold, gold and even gold if you ask nicely.
They can however be lightly painted by the end user if desired. The real purpose behind the anodising is to actually harden the material.

The pictures may not show very well but adjustment is done via an Allen key into the screw.

Installing them as they are in "softest' mode will actually add a slight load of about 3mm which obviously needs to start in this position to enable them to be installed in the easiest fashion.
When wound down down they will be about 25-30 mm which does add a heap of pressure.

I knew the colour or color question requests would come and I asked when I had them anodised.A bunch of different colours are definately available but I get hit for a minimum charge for every run.Doing a batch of hundreds is fine because I can mix them up. However doing a short run of 20 simply isn't worth the extra costs involved which would have to be passed on.
So this batch is available in gold, gold and even gold if you ask nicely.
They can however be lightly painted by the end user if desired. The real purpose behind the anodising is to actually harden the material.

The pictures may not show very well but adjustment is done via an Allen key into the screw.
Zip likes the gold and what Zip likes, Zip gets!
Somehow Zip always has it his way!:confused2:

Did somebody hear the king kong call in this thread or it's just me?

That's really cool stuff...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

A good design, beefy & easy to adjust, they look good and have lots of bearing area for the spring/spacer. I'll be looking for the pricing.

Done, weather permitting I might be able to give a set a blast on my own bike on the weekend.

Back