Fork rebuild questions

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

midmoraider

Reaction score
Hey all, I am in the process of lowering my forks internally. I watched Sean's vid and got the first one apart no problem. The issue I'm having is that the top of the lower section of the fork, where the oil seal goes, was rusty. The spring clip that holds the seal in also had some rust on it. See pics 1 and 2. Should I just clean them up and not worry too much about it? The previous owner had put progressive springs in but didn't lower it. Instead of the metal tubes for preload, there was 1" pvc. Is that common with the progressive kits? Lastly, should I replace the "collars" that are in pic 3? Thanks.

Attachments

• Pics.jpg
    Pics.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 34
  • Pics 002.jpg
    Pics 002.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 30
  • Pics 004.jpg
    Pics 004.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 35
Nevermind about the pvc preload spacer question. I found that answer on another thread.

IMO the slider collars look good. A little wear but nothing serious for an 04. Rust on the top spring clip is normal. Apply some oil or grease during reassembly to help keep the moisture at bay.

Does the race in the first pic that has the rust on it need to come out? On Sean's video he shows reinstalling it with the pvc driver tool. Didn't see it come off on the disassembly vid though.

No, that isn't coming out.
When you dissassemble the forks, the bushings, washer, and seal all come out in one step

When you re-assemble the bushing goes in w/ washer on top and driven with the PVC driver, then the seal gets driven in the the PVC driver. Your not going to do both of them in the same step.

i think mine went all together in one step.

Ok, its possible to do it that way, not advisable. I would drive the bushing w/washer on top. You can" hear" when the bushing is seated. Then do the seal. You know its seated when you can see the recess for the retaining ring.

Ok, its possible to do it that way, not advisable. I would drive the bushing w/washer on top. You can" hear" when the bushing is seated. Then do the seal. You know its seated when you can see the recess for the retaining ring.

yea i didn't know any better. the bushing thing didn't take much to seat, and my oil seal didn't either so i wasn't too worried about it. plus its not leaking..

Latest posts

Back