Fork seals

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+1 to cleaning. Fork seals should last a long time as long as the fork tubes are in good shape. Dirt or bug parts can work in there under a seal lip and cause some minimal leakage. A piece of old film cut into the shape of a "J" can be used to clean in there. Old dirt bike trick to fix a leaking fork seal. Doesn't always work but its worth a shot.

How many miles/years since the bushings were replaced? I see a lot of forks that have leaking seals, and when I go to change them the bushings are wore. That could allow the fork to move forward/backward and cause excessive wear to the seals.

Another thing on conventional forks is to ensure the seals are well greased. Even as periodic maintenance, you can pop the dust seals with a small screwdriver, chisel or other thin edge tool; clean the top of the oil seal and apply new grease. It often cuts down on stiction as well, and can help keep your oil seals going well for a long time to come.

I do have the seal mates on hand too. Probably bad more due to age then mileage. You can try the seal mate first though!

Sean

Latest posts

Back