Fork Spring Help

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmax1

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had the springs replaced on my 85 Vmax before I had found this sight and they used stock springs. All of the seal etc are new. Would I be able to just change out the springs with progreessive type? If so what oil and any other things will I have to change? And last can I do this while the forks are still on the bike? I am A heavy rider at 260lbs. Any suggestions would be helpfull.:confused2:

yes, just pop the top caps off, and change the springs. oil can be drained thru the little screws on fork lowers. more detailed info regarding what oil and how much air, if any, to use should be included with the springs i guess.
i run wp springs with 7.5 oil and no air.

Yes, you can just replace the springs. It's easier if you can jack the front end to relieve spring pressure. Plus, easier to get fork caps back on. I have a long grabber tool to get the springs out. Otherwise, need to compress somehow.

If you just swap the springs you won't be getting the best out of them - you MUST set the static sag as well.

If you're gonna do springs, I would also highly recommend you check out the Ricor Intimators - they made a difference on my skinny forks/progressive springs setup that I liked very much.

Alternatively, you could leave the stock springs, put the Ricor inserts underneath, and then use air in the forks to add preload to help with your weight.

Still, I think you will like the Progressive springs better.

If you're gonna do springs, I would also highly recommend you check out the Ricor Intimators - they made a difference on my skinny forks/progressive springs setup that I liked very much.

Alternatively, you could leave the stock springs, put the Ricor inserts underneath, and then use air in the forks to add preload to help with your weight.

Still, I think you will like the Progressive springs better.

I too have the progressive springs lowered internally 1" with the ricor intimidators. Its like night and day with this swap out. I followed the recommended mfg spacer lengths and my sag is fine! If you run just the progressives, you dont need any air anymore and just cut to the proper recommended spacer size. I have done this 3 times over on various vmax's and all set up perfectly.

Latest posts

Back