free sloppy clutch lever fix

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ninjaneer

Reaction score
i was going to try out joelyons50023's idea

i had a huge problem with this and I had an old mechanic friend of mine show me a pretty cool trick. instead of messing with bearings and a lot of searching for stuff just get a set of feeler gauges and find the one that fits pretty snugly above the lever, mine was .016'' take that one off and make a circle out of a chunk you cut off and drill a hole a little bigger than the bolt in the middle. mine has worked great for 7 months or so hopes this helps someone out that did not want to go through the hassle of the regular mod.

i had selected a feeler and was just about to cut it, when i spied one of those copper washers used for the banjo bolts lying on the ground. it was deformed and had been smooshed into an oval. "hmmm, those washers are pretty soft," i said to myself.....wait a sec!

i took the deformed washer and pushed it in, but it was too far gone. so i took another one and beat the crap out of it with a hammer until it could fit tight between the bottom of the lever and the master...

P4031469.jpg

greased up the lever housing and then, with the flathead that i use for the a/f mixture, lightly tapped the washer until its hole cleared the bolt hole
P4031471.jpg(this pic was after the fact, as one can clearly see that the bolt and nut are already in place, but i'm sure you get the idea)

screwed in the bolt and nut and
boo-yah-787.gif
no more sloppy lever

Good info there ninjaneer, I will remember that when I get ready to tighten mine up a bit.......

They are very handy those little copper washers, I swapped my clutch master for a TL1000 one, but a Suzuki Bandit lever, and used 3 of them all lubed up as spacers, now it works perfectly with minimal movement

Thanx man....needed a better solution and replacing a washer every once in a while sounds good to me.....already got one foot out the door to try this one.

D:clapping:

Great Work. I was just thinking about the same issue while I was rebuilding the clutch master of my 89... Now I've got a simple solution.....:biglaugh:

I'll this a try since I have a few of the copper washers laying around after my brake and clutch, then later the front calipers upgrade! My clutch lever is slooopppy!:biglaugh:

Right on, we got the idea now, most mods can be made better. I will use this one for now, good thinking.....

Last edited:
just fyi--my slop was apparently just shy off the height of the standard banjo bolt washer. i'm thinking if yours isn't as bad, you'll be doing some serious whacking. i'll bet one of you clever lads'll figure out another flattening technique.

Press the washer down on a fine mill file with your thumb and rub it back & forth....as Prez said, copper is very soft and will file down surprisingly quickly.

It is very easy to file unevenly so check the washer every few swipes to make sure it's flat.

I used a very thin wave washer, it springs against the gap and stops the lever sloppies. Found it at a chevy dealer, just told them what my prob was and the guy said hmm, and came back with a box full of different sizes.

Sure. take the wind outta my sails with my first fix that could've put me in with you "cool" kids. :rofl_200:

It took me a while to understand meaning of this post correctly.

For a first tought I could say it was something like "to sting" or insult even - also I was not sure about the direction...but thats just me, a person who cant eat the western coast jargon :confused2:

So dont mind me tho.

It took me a while to understand meaning of this post correctly.

For a first tought I could say it was something like "to sting" or insult even - also I was not sure about the direction...but thats just me, a person who cant eat the western coast jargon :confused2:

So dont mind me tho.

it was just teasing, he didn't mean anything serious by it.

ya prez, i wasn't insulting you. i meant absolutely nothing by it. it was more like making fun of me and my delusions of grandeur. hence the laughing emoticon. there's no jargon to get. just a different sense of humor or a different delivery of the same humor. my family over in europe don't understand my jokes most of the time...shit, most americans don't understand them either. :rofl_200:

No no no guys, I didt say anybody was insulting me for sure, it was just a slightly imagination LOL
I forgot to add an emoticon there like: :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Its all good but, it was very dificult to translate LOL

which part was tough. "wind in my sails"? i could see that tough, because 'blowing hot air' could probably translate similarly...

prez - ... please be aware that sometimes I may not get the true meaning of what you said ... enlighten me!
ok let me "enlighten"
biglaugh.gif
. i was making a play on words in the expression "taking the wind out of my sails". when one is sailing a boat everything is great and life is good as long as your sails are full of wind. however, once the wind stops your sails deflate and life is not as good anymore. so i was feeling good about myself b/c i thought i found a cool fix and as such "my sails were full". but then the thought of my fix not being so great caused my "sails to deflate" or "the wind was taken out of my sails".

which part was tough. "wind in my sails"? i could see that tough, because 'blowing hot air' could probably translate similarly...

Its ok now, I've asked my friend Tom from Niles/Chicago. He lives there for about
25 yeras and hes very good with english but he forgot the polish grammar so we are helping each other!

He explain it to me very good. But I must say as I know SOME - I HOPE! - engilsh, I have no problems with understanding everything but...slang or jargon (or so called) cant be transalted - you must just know some thins cuz for GAIJIN it may seems to have no sense at all.

:punk:

Back