Front fork metal

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bayoublaster

Reaction score
I'd like to paint the bottom of my forks on my 85 Max. Anyone know off the top of their head what kind of metal the bottom section of the forks are made of? Would it be aluminum by chance?
I'm aware of the different methods used to prep various metals for paint, but I haven't stripped the paint off of the forks yet.
Thanks for all the help!

Appreciate the help. I have everything I need to prep aluminum as I am going to paint other various aluminum parts on the bike as well. Thanks again

I'm about to do the same, what did you use to strip the paint? I don't fancy sanding it all before powder coating! Paint stripper?

I'm about to do the same, what did you use to strip the paint? I don't fancy sanding it all before powder coating! Paint stripper?

Never used it myself - but there has lots of references to using AIRCRAFT Paint Stripper. Especially good if you are stripping parts that have been clear-coated, such as the scoops and rims. Clear coat is a bugger to remove by sanding alone (this I know from experience)
Cheers!

I've used paint stripper which worked well and has not had any adverse effect on the aluminium.

If the parts are going to be powder coated I would have expected the re-finisher to do the prep....at least the chap I use does. I just remove the bits that need to come off (seals etc.)
Best to check with them first and it may save you a whole load of unnecessary work.

They bead blast quick. I considered using clear gloss powder over the blasted aluminum it looked so nice. But found a close match to stock,powder, I liked.

Correct, your powdercoater of choice will do all the prep work (we can even provide the legs done up on exchange with our without complete assembly - without is a lot cheaper to ship back and forth). When we paint the sets we do we have it plastic media blasted then it can be easily painted (this can even be done assembled). Same process we do our engines with.

Back