Front wheel/speedo options with USD?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Birdoprey

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Anyone running a newer USD with the larger front axle(25mm IIRC)? If so, what are you doing for a speedo?
I'm running a ZX-9 USD on my 89 V-Max. It uses a smaller axle and had a speedo drive on it. I love it, but it weighs in just 1/2lb shy of the stk setup!(the complete front end). The front wheel/tire/brakes alone weigh in just shy of 40lbs! The fork legs are also a lil shorter than i would like(lowered the front a lil too much for my taste). I'm considering running a newer USD setup with lighter front wheel but dunno what can be done to retain my speedo. I would conder other speedo options if there are any?

I've seen guys put the bicycle speedos on motorcycles before... check out this link: http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=81326

Then you could put a monster tach and shift light in place of the speedo and put an oil pressure gauge or something else in place of the stock tach.

You just need to make sure you know the OD of your tire.

Jeff

Got the busa front with extensions. I've currently got an Autometer pro cycle speedo with a magnetic sensor pick up on the rear brake rotor but at higher speeds the needle really bounces around. I've been told this is not typical but i don't know what to do to correct this. I'm switching to a GPS speedo (which I just got) to see if i can avoid this problem..hopefully no problems with this one

Got the busa front with extensions. I've currently got an Autometer pro cycle speedo with a magnetic sensor pick up on the rear brake rotor but at higher speeds the needle really bounces around. I've been told this is not typical but i don't know what to do to correct this. I'm switching to a GPS speedo (which I just got) to see if i can avoid this problem..hopefully no problems with this one

Got any pic's? What tripples are you running? Where didja get the extensions?

Look in gallery under Maximus...mods listed on there as well. Triples and extensions from Otec

We have used a royal star rear diff and procycle speedo. Works perfect.

Sean

I don't have an usd but I use an Acewell tacho/speedo and the transducer runs off the rear rotor .Odometer,tripmeter,fuel gauge and you can get one's with indicators,oil pressure light,hi beam etc.There is a pod shaped one which will fit in the original vmax speedo shell.Have a look on the UK site vmaxchat there is a good writeup.Have a look at the Acewell site ,as well. Cheers Kevman

Hey, now that might be the ticket! The price is in the neighborhood of doable. Got a link to the vmaxchat? I'll see if i can search and find it. Thanks!!!

How about an SPA tach. These also fit in the stock speedo housing as does the Motogadget. There are quite a few maxxers using the SPA including myself.

They light up cool in blue or pink or blue and pink combined. these have some cool recall info. You can make the needle flash at whatever RPM you set it at as well as the whole face. SPA have some other nice gauges, boost, oil/water temp, and so on. The pics on the site are poor quality though.

http://www.spatechnique.com/product_pages/tachometers.cfm

http://www.spatechnique.com/index.cfm

Back