fuel milage ? part 2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warrior273

Reaction score
In my previous post I said i was only getting 80 miles until my fuel light came on, instead of 100 miles. Well I had the carbs adjusted and synced, and it's still the same. I also checked the milage and speedo and that all checked out. What the hell is going on? For a year I was getting the 100 miles until the fuel light and know this.

I have a similiar situation,My gas light didnt work when I bought the bike (it was in rough shape) and for a long time I spent my down time pushing my Max to the gas station for YET ANOTHER fill.When I fixed the light I found I get about 80 before hitting reserve as well.My only theory is in the form of a question...In the past year have you installed or bypassed your Vboost control unit or is it malfunctioning at all? The added fuel burn of the carb secondaries open all the time will burn gas at an accelerated rate.I know this because my Vboost is bypassed and I leave it on all the time so run down to empty close to where you do.Just an idea...oh and if you had it jetted that might also burn a bit more (also had that done on mine)hope it helped you.Good luck! -Ace

In my previous post I said i was only getting 80 miles until my fuel light came on, instead of 100 miles. Well I had the carbs adjusted and synced, and it's still the same. I also checked the milage and speedo and that all checked out. What the hell is going on? For a year I was getting the 100 miles until the fuel light and know this.

It really all depends on your riding!

If you ride mostly in town, stop-start, in traffic and use your Vboost regularly, then 80 is normal.
If you ride mostly highway and keep it at 70mph, you can expect 105-120.

Have your riding habits changed? Also, I guess you always fill it the same right? What else has changed since that year of 100 miles to red light? Slip-ons? Jets? Air filters? Floats adjustment? Anything?

Easy back-road riding, minimal boost use or conservative highway riding(70 mph) and I easily get 110-115mph before the gas light comes on. My worst ever it came on at 90 miles, which was lots of in-town riding and lots of boost use. Stock except for stage 1 kit and holeshot slip-ons.

Hello, I'm a newbe to this forum and just picked a an 86 that had some carb issues. I worked all the issues out and still was at the 90 mile mark when my fuel light would come on. When my bike got warn it would start to misfire a little. I happened to notice that the spark was jumping from the spark plug cap to the valve cover on the left rear cyl. I changed out all 4 pug wires and caps. Last fuel window was at 110. One easy way to tell if your wires and caps are as bad as mine were is to let the bike warn up and inspect it at night to see if the spark is jumping from your cap/wires to your motor etc. Mine was also making a snapping sound as the spark jumped. This may or may not help you, I'd thouht I'd throw it out there. Mark.

Easy back-road riding, minimal boost use or conservative highway riding(70 mph) and I easily get 110-115mph before the gas light comes on. My worst ever it came on at 90 miles, which was lots of in-town riding and lots of boost use. Stock except for stage 1 kit and holeshot slip-ons.
I had the same setup as you do but I went back to stock needles and springs but, my main jets are # 147.5 instead of the stock #152 and my #1 paj is #90 instead of the stock California #100.
I dont notice any loss of power but my gas mileage should improve cause I was getting that same crappy gas mileage too.:bang head:
<<Dave>>:punk:

Just got back on a 1000 km trip this weekend. Here is my canadian facts lol I was consuming 6L/100km. Now with that being said I have a K+N, Supertrapp Exhaust, and my A/F Screws turned out 3, or 3/5 Turns. Now I was just clipping along about 115 km/h average. With having a 15 litre tank that could put my stops at a around 200 km. However I usually stop about every 100 km just to stretch and walk around a little. I am not sure what that translates into for American terms, but I think I am doing pretty good.

Just got back on a 1000 km trip this weekend. Here is my canadian facts lol I was consuming 6L/100km. Now with that being said I have a K+N, Supertrapp Exhaust, and my A/F Screws turned out 3, or 3/5 Turns. Now I was just clipping along about 115 km/h average. With having a 15 litre tank that could put my stops at a around 200 km. However I usually stop about every 100 km just to stretch and walk around a little. I am not sure what that translates into for American terms, but I think I am doing pretty good.

consuming 1.5 gallons per 62 miles (41 mpg (pretty good!))

71 mph average.

4 gallon tank.

could go 120 miles but stop every 60 ish.

Yeah thats what I was thinking. I heard some horror stories on here about getting bad gas mileage, but when I was only burn 6 litres for 100 km, I got to thinking, thats not to shabby.

But like anything the harder you drive it, the harder it is on fuel lol

Problem solved. Put a new fuel filter on and added some sea foam.

Gotta love that sea-foam. Carb mechanic in a can.

I got my best ever the other day...132 miles to low fuel light. About 100 of that was two-lane back road riding at 55-60mph, and the rest was highway at 75. A few vboost moments, but otherwise easy.

When I filled up I averaged 42mpg! w00t!

i think its more to do with the consistency of the operation of the low fuel sensor. the older bikes seem to exhibit.

Back