Fuel pump sound

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mopheos

Reaction score
I noticed on the youtube video, "The Vmax Thrill" when the ignition is turned on, the fuel pump cycles for what seems like only half a second, while in comparison, my 85 fuel pump cycles for at least a couple of seconds and the "ticking" sound of the pump seems much slower than the VM in the video. Should they all cycle as fast as the video, ie, go "zzzzzzz" instead of "tick,tick,tick,tick," etc?

I noticed on the youtube video, "The Vmax Thrill" when the ignition is turned on, the fuel pump cycles for what seems like only half a second, while in comparison, my 85 fuel pump cycles for at least a couple of seconds and the "ticking" sound of the pump seems much slower than the VM in the video. Should they all cycle as fast as the video, ie, go "zzzzzzz" instead of "tick,tick,tick,tick," etc?

The V-boost goes"zzzzt....zzzzt" and stops.......

The fuel pump is a very distinct set of clicks......if the bike has been sitting for a day or two......just a few clicks......let it sit a couple of weeks......more clicks....longer time.....

The Vboost buzzes.....the fuel pump clicks.....

Hope this helps:eusa_dance:

Shes old,shell tick a bit more.Mine is an 85 as well and it ticks for a few seconds most of the time as well,typically when sitting a day or two.Even when it ticks for a long time it just fires right up.

Some one will surely post shortly behind me and tell me somthing is "wrong" with it but I find the clicking rather comforting...it means I havent run out of gas AGAIN.(previous fuel light issue made some chaos)

Hope I could comfort you a bit,even if its not normal at least youre not alone.ha ha ha

Ya, Kyle pretty much hit it on the head - bzzzzzzzt is the vboost servo cycling open and shut, and tick-tick-tick-tick is the fuel pump clicking.

It will click faster if the fuel bowls are emptier (bike been sitting) and slower if they are almost full (last 2-3 click are slower as the pressure stops the pump).

Thanks everyone - it seems that my fuel pump may need the fix linked in Buster's comment. Every time I turn the ignition on the fuel pump clicks a bunch. And wouldn't you know it, the bike crapped out today, leaving my wife and me stranded for half an hour. The thing just died at a stop light, and when I went to crank it, it just cranked and cranked (didn't sound quite normal), unburnt fuel smell out of the exhaust, but no start. I'm starting to think the PO didn't tell me everything he knew about the bike. :^(

I got a question about the V-boost thing. It makes the zzt noise right? I turned the key on mine and didn't hear it. Is there a way to test to see if my module works? If not, how do I fix it?

Sorry for the hijack

I got a question about the V-boost thing. It makes the zzt noise right? I turned the key on mine and didn't hear it. Is there a way to test to see if my module works? If not, how do I fix it?

Sorry for the hijack

You'll hear three buzzes for lack of a better word. The first opens the Vboost, the second, closes it and the third noise is the slack getting taken out of the line.

Before you start tearing into things, check the electrical connections. It may be as simple as that.

i don't plan on tearing into it just yet. Is there a link to a wiring schematic or somethng I could use or could someone describe to me where the connector for it is? I have alot of dielectric grease to us. cleaning all the connectors is a part of my winter plan.

i don't plan on tearing into it just yet. Is there a link to a wiring schematic or somethng I could use or could someone describe to me where the connector for it is? I have alot of dielectric grease to us. cleaning all the connectors is a part of my winter plan.

Here is a service manual, it should have everything you need in it. :punk:
http://www.vmaxoutlaw.com/tech/VMX12-Service-Manual.pdf

I had a little different problem with my fuel pump clicking a lot after setting. The rubber boots were getting wet the cabrs were leaking slowly and after about 3 days the bowls were completely empty. I have yet to find where they are leaking. I picked up a set of 1993 venture carbs and rejetted them etc to be the same as the Vmax carbs and now after 2 days the fuel pump clicks 4 or 5 times and the choke aparatus is on the rear of the carbs instead of the front. I will take my time and totally rebuild the 85 carbs, in the meantime im riding my Vmax and it screams.
Rhoy

Thanks everyone - it seems that my fuel pump may need the fix linked in Buster's comment. Every time I turn the ignition on the fuel pump clicks a bunch. And wouldn't you know it, the bike crapped out today, leaving my wife and me stranded for half an hour. The thing just died at a stop light, and when I went to crank it, it just cranked and cranked (didn't sound quite normal), unburnt fuel smell out of the exhaust, but no start. I'm starting to think the PO didn't tell me everything he knew about the bike. :^(

Very strange, my wife and I were stranded on my 85 this past Sunday. Just bought the bike last weekend and it has run fine up to then. I heard the clicking from the fuel pump and then it stopped but when I started the bike, the clicking came back and would not allow me to give the bike any throttle or it would die. Took the seat off and tapped the fuel pump a couple times, it started up fine. Got home and it did it to me again. I let it sit overnight and have had no issues the past couple days. My fear is that the fuel pump is going out and from what I can see on eBay, the are around 80.00 used so maybe I just swap it out. Anyone else have any ideas??

The reserve works by detecting a limited amount of fuel, flipping the light on and turning the pump off. Flipping over to reserve gives power back to the pump. Before replacing the pump you may just want to check for a corroded connector or two and see if maybe it's getting a signal to shut off that it shouldn't be.

Also if it dies out again you can try flipping back and forth between reserve to turn it back on. Not a fix but it might get you out of being stranded.

Latest posts

Back