Fuel tank filler extension for Corbin seats

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naughtyG

Reaction score
I didn't do this myself - it came with the bike. However, it looks pretty simple to put together and is immensely helpful to anyone using a Corbin seat on their Max.

Anyone know:

- where to source the fuel cap (a lockable one would be better)

- what type of glue to use between the extension and the cap?

See the pics..

Attachments

• P1080735.JPG
    P1080735.JPG
    188 KB · Views: 143
  • P1080737.JPG
    P1080737.JPG
    141.8 KB · Views: 131
  • P1080740.jpg
    P1080740.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 128
  • P1080742.JPG
    P1080742.JPG
    191.3 KB · Views: 129
If you were closer I would just extend the original neck on your tank for you. By just welding in a longer section of tubing between the tank and the original cap. It could be done very easily as long as you know the angle and the length that it needed to be. I do have another tank but I am not too sure of how good it is.

Gannon

I have a Corbin seat and had a section welded in place some years back, had free access to a machinist and shop at the time, took him about two days to get all the angles etc correct, then tap bolt holes to fix "drag" type cap in place.

http://www.thefind.com/cars/info-motorcycle-gas-caps

Just remembered, if you do extend the filler, dont fill the tank all the way up, or extend the overflow, set fire to the bike just after I did it when I filled up with gas, the staff all ran away, used the bucket and rag they used for cleaning car windows to put the fire out, melted a few wires, nothing too serious!

A write-up on this was in a V-Boost article at least 10 years ago. I and all my friends with the old style Corbin have made this mod. It is not on my current Max with the new style Corbin as it is not needed.

Any marine supply store should have deck gas fillers. You can buy with or without locking caps. The rubber reducing extension was purchased at a plumbing supply store. Just measure the tank fill pipe and the deck filler pipe and get the proper connector. Don't remember the exact sizes but it like 1.5" to 1.25" reduction. Two stainless steel hose clamps are used to assemble. No glue of any sort is needed. I also grounded the cap to the frame to be safe from static electricity. There is a grounding screw on the deck filler. (At least on the ones I have purchased).

Very useful as I have a Corbin seat that came extra with my bike but I removed it after trying to put gas in it for the first time. I don't care for the look of it either...I think Sean will get my stocker to do some work to it and somebody else will get the Corbin...The 1 piece doesn't work for me...I find the stock seat makes the V-max as much as the scoops!

thanks all. for now I have been removing the seat to fill. I need to fine a 5mm T bolt of some sort so I don't have to mess with the bolts all the time. no way am I not having the bolts in or bye bye seat. I just went through the bike top to bottom and got it inspected. Its supposed to be 70 here tomorrow and I might get the wife on it for the first time. great bike. I love it. it has a bunch of mods and I will post pictures as soon as i figure out how. thanks again. mike. .

Last edited:
Back