Gas coming out from where it shouldn't

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr Gumby

Reaction score
Went for a ride with the wife yesterday to get her some riding gloves and a tank bag for me and after a short jaunt on the freeway it didn't sound right at all. Rather flat and almost like a misfire but more like a weak cylinder. Compression checked out fine, 170-180 on all 4 so I pulled the filters off and watched the carbs. On the number 3 cylinder (top left as you're sitting on the seat) gas is coming out of the needle jet. Can this be fixed without pulling the carbs off or can I only access it from the float bowls?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I think I've seen this fixed with an eye dropper of seafoam.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Can't view. But I'll take a stab at it. There is a sealing washer for the needle jet that passes through the jet block. I've not often seen the seal bad. You have to remove the bowl to check the tightness of the nut. I'd have carb parts ready. Off come the carbs. A Sync tool also needs to be handy.
Steve-o

Thanks guys, I'll have to work on the link when I'm not on my phone. I was figuring I'd have to pull the carbs but hoping I didn't. sdt-thanks for the tip!

Actually Steve-o I find that o-ring brittle and cracked quite regularly....Think it's often neglected in rebuilds. Anyhow, the fuel level shouldn't be that high in the carb anyway, it runs 15mm - 17mm below the witness mark on the casing...well below the needle jet (main nozzle).

MrGumby the left front carb (sitting on the bike) is #2, they go like this:

Front

2 4

1 3

Rear

corrected I stand. Maybe it's cause my stuff gets changed often, before the cracking sets in.
Can't a running bike suck fuel by there if it's loose or missing the part?

Could be a stuck float too. I worked on one a few weeks ago that was doing what gumby described. Had some crap stuck in the needle. Took several tries to flush it out.

corrected I stand. Maybe it's cause my stuff gets changed often, before the cracking sets in.
Can't a running bike suck fuel by there if it's loose or missing the part?

A good policy Steve-o, the fuel we're having to use now seems to drastically acellerate o-ring deterioration.

I believe it could if the float was stuck, letting fuel get above the brass screw, I'd like to see the video.

It makes sense that it's a stuck float, I'll disable the fuel pump and then run it. Still working on the video settings

Yep that's what the one I worked on looked like too. I disconnected the fuel line to that carb, opened the drain line and poured sea foam through it to flush it out. I also put some slight air pressure behind it with my air compressor set at 10-15 psi. Took several tries, but it broke loose and started working correctly.

I had gas puking from the carbs on my '85 earlier this season. /very intermittent, but leaked like hell when it did leak. Use Seafoam like you're using Holy Water at an exorcism, and you'll likely get it cleared.. At least double strength, and a couple tankfuls to be sure..

Then, when it leaks again, as mine did - replace every fuel line (mine were original since '85 and were falling apart inside (thanks to the swill gas with the Ethanol we're stuck with). Once the lines were replaced - problem solved...

A good policy Steve-o, the fuel we're having to use now seems to drastically acellerate o-ring deterioration.

I believe it could if the float was stuck, letting fuel get above the brass screw, I'd like to see the video.

You're my man for carb. advise Brother. And lot's else. I love this forum and the knowledge available to us.

Latest posts

Back