Gas Mileage

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwood

Reaction score
My last tank of fuel when the reserved kicked in was 122 miles... Over 45 mpg! When I run the tboost on at 3000 rpm only getting high 20 to low 30 mpg... :banghead:

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Every so often I get a "fluke" tank that runs past 120mi to the fuel light. Best I ever say was 43mpg. Typically it's in the 110ish range, or like 38ish mpg.

I spent some time on the super-slab yesterday running between 80 - 90 mph the whole time and my light came on at 108 miles.... approx = 35 MPG

Last edited:
My last tank of fuel when the reserved kicked in was 122 miles... Over 45 mpg! When I run the tboost on at 3000 rpm only getting high 20 to low 30 mpg... :banghead:

122 miles / 3.2 gal (usable fuel in OEM tank down to the reserve light) = 38.13mpg.

If your OEM speedo is off by the 3% factory error that my 85 is, that would mean your actual miles travelled would be closer to 118.34 actual miles.

118.34 miles / 3.2 gal = 36.98 miles per gallon.

If you went 122 miles and got 45mpg, it would only require 2.71 gal to fill, and therefore, your fuel light should not have come on yet.

Am I doing the math incorrectly? :ummm:

I think another variable is the fill level - it's kinda funny on the Max..

My 'ol 86 did exactly 105 miles to the reserve light, again and again. And that involved a lot of highway @ 90+mph, and a bunch of boost in 2nd and 3rd gears.

I was going to post my crappy results a little while ago too.

I got three tanks in a row with the light coming on at 95 miles!! Extremely poor......then the last two have been at 105. Much better but not impressive......besides the obvious of staying of the throttle, what is the next thing to check/adjust? Last winter the winter before last I went through and adjusted my float levels. I think they're good..............Gonna do a shotgun and sync soon.......

After deciding to create carb day for the archangel, I tweaked, adjusted, and tweaked the setting some more. I've averaged 42 and some change/mpg for the last 3 fill ups, riding half-assed normally. 38 and some change if I'm screwing around.

When me and the Michigan Maxers get together it's not uncommon for my light to come on at 80 miles, so we spend a little extra in fuel but the fun is well worth it. I don't think the Vmax was ever intended to be a gas sipper....

122 miles / 3.2 gal (usable fuel in OEM tank down to the reserve light) = 38.13mpg.

If your OEM speedo is off by the 3% factory error that my 85 is, that would mean your actual miles travelled would be closer to 118.34 actual miles.

118.34 miles / 3.2 gal = 36.98 miles per gallon.

If you went 122 miles and got 45mpg, it would only require 2.71 gal to fill, and therefore, your fuel light should not have come on yet.

Am I doing the math incorrectly? :ummm:

The light was not on, i just knew i was getting close, it took just under 3 gals to fill her up...

the best i got was 110 :clapping:the worst was 58......lmao.....:biglaugh:

My best was in low 90s, my average is around 80s. When the sync is off and/or I am not easy on the throttle, then in the 70s. I cannot believe some of you are getting 110+ before the light comes on. I cannot believe mine is so bad. I mean even if the carbs are sync'ed and adjusted properly and I ride mellow, I could never reach 100 even.
Could stage 1 jet kit have caused this?

Is it common for this bike to really suck gas when the v-boost butterfly's are completely removed? I'm getting about 40 miles per tank (in town) and this seriously concerns me. I was expecting to get about 30 mpg not 13. Mine also has the stage 7 kit.

Is it common for this bike to really suck gas when the v-boost butterfly's are completely removed? I'm getting about 40 miles per tank (in town) and this seriously concerns me. I was expecting to get about 30 mpg not 13. Mine also has the stage 7 kit.
Wow, you have some issues at 13mpg... You should post up a thread to get some experts on here to help you out, post up something like '' help 13mpg'' explain your set up in the post.

I'm surprised it even runs worth a damn using that much fuel....it must be just blasting raw fuel out of the exhaust.

If you have the stage 7 then it was tuned very poorly. Stg 7 is known to be a little thirstier than stock but certainly not that bad.

Dig into your carbs and see what you're running for needle position, turns of the a/f screw, mains, and air jets. Sure someone else here with stg7 can recommend settings.

My V-boost butterflies and controller are removed. I have a stage 7 kit with K&N filters and Kerker 4 into 1. I do at least my share of getting on the throttle, and I've done a good bit of idling too. I smell fuel just a tiny bit at 1,000 rpm idle, and it idles kind of rough. Sounds like it has a big cam or something. Revs quick with no hesitation when you open the throttle. I haven't filled up for the second time to check my mileage yet, but the light came on at 90 miles.

My best was in low 90s, my average is around 80s. When the sync is off and/or I am not easy on the throttle, then in the 70s. I cannot believe some of you are getting 110+ before the light comes on. I cannot believe mine is so bad. I mean even if the carbs are sync'ed and adjusted properly and I ride mellow, I could never reach 100 even.
Could stage 1 jet kit have caused this?
Stage 1 is a gas hog for sure. Last yr going to Riico-O-Rama w/stage 1 my light was on at 95 miles. I've gone 122 miles with stock needles.

Back