gear selector segment

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shawn kloker

Reaction score
Has anyone converted their older max with the pins and tin star holder segment to the newer one piece redisigned piece.I was wondering what all needs to be replaced for it to work or is it adirect replacement.It really blows that pins can fall out,The star can get all mangled.What really sucks is that my local dealer has sold me 3 new segments and pins and covers and never said anything about a redesigned part.Hell I still have a complete new one at home.I won't put it in though. Thanks,Shawn

shawn kloker said:
Has anyone converted their older max with the pins and tin star holder segment to the newer one piece redisigned piece.I was wondering what all needs to be replaced for it to work or is it adirect replacement.It really blows that pins can fall out,The star can get all mangled.What really sucks is that my local dealer has sold me 3 new segments and pins and covers and never said anything about a redesigned part.Hell I still have a complete new one at home.I won't put it in though. Thanks,Shawn

wouldn't you know it Shawn. I keep the parts in stock though you can get them from university too.

You need:

4NK-18185-00-00 SEGMENT Qty: 1
93604-12037-00 PIN, DOWEL Qty: 5
93604-16092-00 PIN, DOWEL Qty: 1

A simple install from there.

one2dmax said:
wouldn't you know it Shawn. I keep the parts in stock though you can get them from university too.

You need:

4NK-18185-00-00 SEGMENT Qty: 1
93604-12037-00 PIN, DOWEL Qty: 5
93604-16092-00 PIN, DOWEL Qty: 1

A simple install from there.

Thanks again Sean!

Sean/Shawn, what do you use for a clutch holder when removing the entire clutch?

i do belive that you can put it into gear and stop rear wheel from turning then you can undo ctutch center
nut that way

pete

ratmax said:
i do belive that you can put it into gear and stop rear wheel from turning then you can undo ctutch center
nut that way

pete

Not quite. Without the pressure plate exerting pressure against the clutch pack all you woud get is a form of clutch slip.

However,

If you have an air compressor a simple hit or two from the impact will knock the nut loose (as Shawn said). Don't just hold the gun on full blast, you need to just pull and release the trigger in short spurts.

Don't try to hold it by the raised standoffs where the bolts go as you'll end up buying a clutch basket when you break them off.

Same thing when you go back togehter. You can just bump the trigger and let it spin or hold it carefully in your hand (experience comes into play here or your hand is going to get chewed up).

Later,
Sean

Ok,wednesday night I took my max to the strip for test and tune night.I thought it was alright because I wasn't having trouble finding second gear anymore.I get there and on my first run I can find second till the third try.Second run was the same thing.Pretty embaressing missing two gears on two passes.It ran 110 and 115 mph this shitty way then I tried a second gear start and it was even worse,100,I had to fan the clutch like crazy trying to get rpm's.I put it on the trailer and took it home.
Today I found the tin star over the segment all bent to shit,3 pins ready to fall out,but man what a releif.Pulling the motor to repair gears does not excite me.I had Fast by Gas backcut this tranny because second gear did go out in the fall of 04.
I had a complete old style segment here so I put it in and plan to order the newer style this week and replace it again.It launches and shifts like a new one again.Can't wait till the next test and tune night,hopefully the humidity stays away for awhile longer.I'll post pics of the mangled one tomorrow. Shawn :th_biggun:

Attachments

• segment.jpg
    segment.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 593
Last edited:
Crappy that this topic comes up and then you suffer that exact problem. I'm glad to hear you sorted it out fast without too much trouble. I hadn't realized the piece was updated either... I guess I never ran into it before. Lucky to have this forum! Looking forward to pics.

G Man

G Man said:
Crappy that this topic comes up and then you suffer that exact problem. I'm glad to hear you sorted it out fast without too much trouble. I hadn't realized the piece was updated either... I guess I never ran into it before. Lucky to have this forum! Looking forward to pics.

G Man
Gary,I already had a good idea this was up and stupidly took it to the strip anyway.Luckily none of the pins fell out and down into the motor.I found three pins in my oil pump screen when I tore the motor apart last winter to rebuild it. Shawn

Ok,A week later and only about 100 miles and my new old style segment and star and pins is junk already.It doesn't want to go into 2nd under power.Its definately not my backcut tranny.I think I am just a little too aggressive on my shifting.
How bad does this suck right before test and tune night?I have already placed the order for the new style parts.This should have been done last week.:th_biggun:I recommend anyone with the old style parts should upgrade before pins fall out and leave you stranded.Sean has already listed the part numbers in this thread.Here is the clutch cover gasket # 3JP-15462-00-00 gasket crankcase cover 3

Last edited:
shawn kloker said:
Ok,A week later and only about 100 miles and my new old style segment and star and pins is junk already.It doesn't want to go into 2nd under power.Its definately not my backcut tranny.I think I am just a little too aggressive on my shifting.
How bad does this suck right before test and tune night?I have already placed the order for the new style parts.This should have been done last week.:th_biggun:I recommend anyone with the old style parts should upgrade before pins fall out and leave you stranded.Sean has already listed the part numbers in this thread.Here is the clutch cover gasket # 3JP-15462-00-00 gasket crankcase cover 3

If you had the budget I could overnight some too you. I have them in stock.

I wonder if your shift shaft is "walking" back and forth too much and pulling the pins out. Probably why they upgraded it in the first place.

Sean

one2dmax said:
If you had the budget I could overnight some too you. I have them in stock.

I wonder if your shift shaft is "walking" back and forth too much and pulling the pins out. Probably why they upgraded it in the first place.

Sean

Sean,If Iwould have known that you got some in I would have had you send them.Last week you did not have them yet.My shifter shaft does have some end play.I rode and raced motocross most of my life and shift pretty hard.I did plan on getting more than 3 rides out of the parts that I just put in.I already ordered the parts last night from G.Mccoy,I did tell him that I want to overnight them but thats only good if he has them in stock.It blows missing this weeks test and tune since I can only go every other week when I'm not on call.Thanks

:th_stophierPeeingIn Ok,I finally got this stupid ass thing upgraded to the new and improved design.My friend Paul had all the parts that I needed and even a new gasket,Now I do not have to wait for them to come.I will even make it to the strip tomorrow night.

Now if these break, maybe you the problem is you, lol.

Seriously, I hope this in the end to the problems. Be sure to let us know how the newer internals hold up.

Calimus said:
Now if these break, maybe you the problem is you, lol.

Seriously, I hope this in the end to the problems. Be sure to let us know how the newer internals hold up.

A few of my friends have also asked me what the hell I am doing too.I have rode and raced motocross bikes most of my life and probably ride and shift alot harder and often than the average vmax rider.Too me if you have to baby something it is not worth riding,I'm hard on everything.Like riding a harley is about as much fun as riding a lawn mower around the yard!

shawn kloker said:
A few of my friends have also asked me what the hell I am doing too.I have rode and raced motocross bikes most of my life and probably ride and shift alot harder and often than the average vmax rider.Too me if you have to baby something it is not worth riding,I'm hard on everything.Like riding a harley is about as much fun as riding a lawn mower around the yard!

I am also blaming the rotella 15-40

shawn kloker said:
I am also blaming the rotella 15-40

Why are you blaming rotella? is it too thin? or does it get thin with use?
I am using amsoil but it is $8.00 a quart, the mechanic at the dealer has an FJR and is also using amsoil.
I have used rotella 5-40 diesel synthetic for 3 oil changes and it actually felt smoother than the ansoil but since it is not motorcycle specific I decided to use amsoil and pay ~$40 for oil change, its a pain because I have to order it online.

Last edited:
firefly said:
Why are you blaming rotella? is it too thin? or does it get thin with use?
I am using amsoil but it is $8.00 a quart, the mechanic at the dealer has an FJR and is also using amsoil.
I have used rotella 4-40 diesel synthetic for 3 oil changes and it actually felt smoother than the ansoil but since it is not motorcycle specific I decided to use amsoil and pay ~$40 for oil change, its a pain because I have to order it online.

Mine just seemed to shift really hard with the rotella.Normally I run castrol gtx 20-50

Back