Ghost in the Machine

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

max power

Reaction score
OK, I wanted to start a new thread for my issue as it seems pretty unique and extremely difficult to figure out. It is a continuation of this thread
http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=8484&page=7

I have been experiencing an intermittent loss of spark all summer long. It only does it when trying to start and once running, never looses spark. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to dictate when or what makes it loose spark.

I thought I had it narrowed down to the Diode pack, but I replaced it with a new one and still have the same problem. I have checked all the connections and grounds, they are clean and I dont think it can be the coils because it looses spark on all four at the same time. Seems to me to be something in the starting circuit.

I have had a plug out and cranked the engine for over a minute with nothing and then suddenly boom; spark.

Please help. This is driving me crazy. :bang head:

Make sure the battery has a full charge and is OK before doing any component testing.

Did you go thru the harness and look for loose/dirty/broken/corroded connections? Check the grounds. Check the ON/OFF switch. Sidestand switch. Clutch switch. Check the wire connections to these switches as well as the Ignition (keyed) switch.

Did you follow the testing procedures for the pick up coils and TCI? Seems like those are the two main components that could go bad and cause this.

Electrical problems can be a bear to track down. Good Luck and if you find the fix let us know.

Battery is new and on a battery tender all the time. Checked every connection on th eharness that I could find. Keep in mind that this is a 2006 bike and is kept indoors. If its the TCI, I'm setting it on fire. That thing is $650.

I dont think its TCI, newer type is very hard to burn.
Ya can get one on ebay for 200$ or less or buy Dyna 3000.

Or maybe thers one vmaxer near you so you can swap the TCI and finely be sure about this.

If spark loses on all of colis then it can be only: TCI, pickup coil, wires.

Battery is new and on a battery tender all the time. Checked every connection on th eharness that I could find. Keep in mind that this is a 2006 bike and is kept indoors. If its the TCI, I'm setting it on fire. That thing is $650.

I hear you. I'd be pulling my hair out. I have an '06 too and this scares me a little.

Did you check the sidestand switch and relay, or the clutch switch and their connectors?
Did you check the TCI and pickup coils according to the procedures in the manual and also double check their connectors?

Are all the fuses installed tight. Fuse block clean? I saw a friends HD go kinda haywire and we found that the fuse block was turning green from corrosion. It was an '05. Cleaned it up and it was fine.

OK, this is starting to look like a TCI issue. anyone know how to test it? Anyone have a good one I could install to see if the problem goes away?

sorry man, i do'n't know the technical terms for a lot of the electronics. ur talking about the main coil the spark plug wire plugs into eh? well there are 4 of them not sure which one ur talking about... if not, let me know.

Does any other Yamaha use the same TCI?
Looks like Venture one are similar. Dunno if exactly the same.

I've had one v-max on surgery about 3 days ago with spark lose.
Bike wont start somethimes. Somethimes only couple of shots into exhaust.
No problem after start, bike runs ok.

I've checked plugs, wires, colis and evrything was ok.
Also pick up shows about 120Ohm but...there are crimps on two wires where pick up coli goes. Orange and black wire.

Those crimps where full of green. After removing crimps and solder the wires theres no probmlem with start anymore.

I got an idea! Do like I do,kiss it really gently on the speedometer,stroke the tank with your left hand real soft and say "Come on baby,Ill give ya some race fuel if you start for me". Then close your eyes and hit the start button! Works some times...LMAO

Back