glycol versus silicone

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rebar

Reaction score
Iv used the dot 3 brake fluid and never had a leak. Now that I do have a leak Iv noticed a few spots here and there I didnt catch where the paint isnt shinny.:bang head:

Will switching to silicone dot 5 fluid prevent this? And how do I remove all the 3 as not to mix the two?

Also.. does honda bike cleaner/polish remove brake fluid without wiping it for those hard to reach areas?

correct me if im wrong guys but you cannot just switch to dot 5 if it was a dot 3 system. you can use dot 4 and 5.1 if you want to use 5 you have to switch i think the rubber hoses and maybe some items in the master such as seal/ gaskets atleast this is what ive read. you can use contact cleaner or light solvent to clean up the fluid

Dot 3/4 fluid is miscable in water. Hot soapy water does great on cleaning up spilled fluid. Keep a spray bottle handy when your bleeding in case of an accidet!

Dot 3/4 fluid is miscable in water. Hot soapy water does great on cleaning up spilled fluid. Keep a spray bottle handy when your bleeding in case of an accidet!

Sometimes accidents cant be avoided. My leak was so small I didnt notice until it had flung oil on my radiator.

It would be nice not to have paint stripper in my hydraulic systems.

Use 5.1 then... 5.0 can ONLY be used if all traces of 3, 4 or 5.1 are removed.

Chris

Use 5.1 then... 5.0 can ONLY be used if all traces of 3, 4 or 5.1 are removed.

Chris

I should have searched.. long day yesterday.

"If you were to switch to a DOT 5 brake fluid you would have to replace all the components in the brake system. I have seen situations where people have tried to flush the brake system instead and the results have not been good. If you REALLY want to try a synthetic brake fluid then try a DOT 5.1. Motul makes a DOT 5.1. That way you won’t have to change out everything."

But 5.1 is still a Poly glycol ether based fluid. Or in other words.. Paint stripper

Back