Good front tire match for Avon AM-42?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heretic

Reaction score
I am currently running a 150 90 15 Avon AM42 out back and a factory Dunlop up front. I do not mind the Dunlop, but I am looking for suggestions for a good tire to go with the Avon. Avon only has a 100 and a 120 for the front, no 110. Has anyone ran the Avon 100 90 18? I have a SPA tach so speedo and odometer readings are not a concern as I can change the settings to read for a different size tire. I am not stuck on getting the Avon so any and all suggestions for tires welcome.

Thanks!

I ran an avon venom 120 front tire and it was huge.It would pick up small stones and grind them the whole way around under the fender.It was very close.I would get the 100.

The big thing to be aware of is that in a lot of cases the the front tire sheds the water for the rear tire. Both of my bikes are this way. The Max is running Avon Azaros on it and the SV is running Metzler Roadtec Z6's.

If this is the case you will want to stay with the Avon's. You can look into the ME880 also, but I like sticking with like tires with like compounds.

I want the front to stick as well as the rear and vice-versa...

Good luck!

Heretic

I just ordered a set from this site both V-rated and both Avon
Rear Venom AM42 150/90/15 Front Super Venom Am20 110/90/18
As you know this is the correct size that the bikes come with and I
was pleased that I found V-rated tires which we all know we need
when exploring the MAX's upper limits. Ha HA I have ran Avons in the past on other bikes and was very pleased with handling and tread life.We'll see how they stand up to the Max!

tuner

Heretic

I just ordered a set from this site both V-rated and both Avon
Rear Venom AM42 150/90/15 Front Super Venom Am20 110/90/18
As you know this is the correct size that the bikes come with and I
was pleased that I found V-rated tires which we all know we need
when exploring the MAX's upper limits. Ha HA I have ran Avons in the past on other bikes and was very pleased with handling and tread life.We'll see how they stand up to the Max!

tuner

I just bought my '92 max 2 weeks ago and it had cracks (weather checking) on both tires. I have put 1200 miles on so far but I do not like pushing the limits with them in that condition.
I ordered this same set of tires from Bikebadit.com for $220. I hope they get here today so I can install them on Sat. morning and test them out in the afternoon. I am going to attempt some burn outs tonights to get the rest of the mileage out of the ol' bridgestones.

Last edited:
I just bought my '92 max 2 weeks ago and it had cracks (weather checking) on both tires. I have put 1200 miles but I did not like pushing the limits whith those tires.
I ordered this same set of tires from Bikebadit.com for $220. I hope they get here today so I can install them on Sat. morning and test them out in the afternoon. I am going to attempt some burn outs tonights to get the rest of the mileage out of the ol' bridgestones.

Good luck!

Remember to tread lightly for a bit on the new skins... I too am picking up new skins for my SV today!

The wheels are ready for me to mount up and ride!:banana:

Back