Good or bad differential?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snowprophet1

Reaction score
I wanted to put some highway gears in my 2000 vmax for longer trips, so I bought a differential from somebody, which was said to be from an 86 venture 1300 (3.33 gear ratio instead of vmax's 3.667). When I checked how many turns of the shaft to turns of the wheel, it was more like 2.9! I guess that rules out it being from a venture 86-93. I found a casting # on the inside outer plate that read 4h700. If I look at a chart on this differential section posted, I think it may be from an 80-81 XJ650? The drive shaft appears to fit the same as the the stock vmax, but the wheel's hub does not contact the splines on this different differential, because the splines are in-set instead of out at the edge like the vmax.
If I can find out what this came off, I am assuming I may be able to used the rubber mounted wheel hub from which it came if it is a 6 hole hub. If I can even find out what it is from and get the hub to get it to work, does anybody know if this 2.9 ratio rear differential will hold up to a vmax or not? I was hoping for the 3.3 that I bought, but if the 2.9 isn't so bad a ratio for the highway, I'll probably try to use it if it won't explode if I try to bang off a holeshot. If I really want to go to the dragstrip, I'll put the stock one back in, but I'm not worried about racing w/the highway gears in it. Does anyone know if I can or should try to use this? Thanks for all your help!!!! Marc.:ummm:

If it doesn't look exactly like the vmax unit it's not a venture. It does sound like the XJ or maybe even virago unit. They do have a different spline assembly. The vmax setup slides onto the stub with pins sliding into the rubber sleeves. The other type bolts onto the wheel so I haven't looked very hard into adapting it yet. It can probably be done but will require some custom work.

Sean

I think if you go that low on the rear end you stand a chance of breaking the driveshaft if you ride it hard..........all that torque has to go somewhere....

I think if you go that high in the gearing on the rear end you stand a chance of breaking the driveshaft if you ride it hard..........all that torque has to go somewhere....

I think if you go that low on the rear end you stand a chance of breaking the driveshaft if you ride it hard..........all that torque has to go somewhere.........

Well scrap that idea. I just measured from the center of the axle bolt to where the differential bolts to the swingarm, and it is much shorter. If I make a spacer to bring the differential back to the correct distance, the drive shaft will probably pop out of place and send my butt into a ditch or in the path of an on-coming semi. I'm going to send it back and give the dimensions of the vmax ones so he can send me the correct one. As far as I know, the 86-93 venture should just drop right in. Oh well. Maybe if it's nice out tomorrow evening, I'll go out to the drag strip and practice some holeshots against my little brother's 07 R6. I don't think I can take him the whole 1/4, but you never know. Thanks for the help guys!

Latest posts

Back