GSXR 600 Conversion

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The weld is done in depth so when it gets remachined the excess is removed for perfect finish. Even though the rough weld its not visible the fact that i know its there bothers me... Why not doing it perfect instead of acceptable?

Prez sorry for the thread hijack...

No problem - I will cut my discussion here as I already said to much LOL
Dont wana hurt my bisness!

So according to my experience this rim is not centered.
About 6-10mm offset to the right.

You have a keen eye mate... LOL. In fact you are correct

This wheel was then remachined to lower the hub in 7mm. this was teh first experiment and we left it like that to check. We knew we had to go for a second pass on the lathe either way after welding... Its been corrected now...

Either way i wonder how can you guess that? Unless you know which wheel this is... Most common GSXR mid nineties of course...

The hub is the same for all 3 spoked suzuki rims...ask how many of these I have made!

This rim was used in gsxr 750 and 1100 for some years - also there was 2 version of them, identical by the
apperance - however one was heavy and one was light.

The hub is the same for all 3 spoked suzuki rims...ask how many of these I have made!

This rim was used in gsxr 750 and 1100 for some years - also there was 2 version of them, identical by the
apperance - however one was heavy and one was light.

That of one being light and the other not i did not know. Why is that? Different alloys?

The new rim has to have a hub a little bigger than vmax so i can fit the machined one inside. The rim is machined to leave a lip where the new machined hub seats to be perfectly lined up, its then welded to become part of the new wheel and then remachined to specs (its all one part), then the wheel goes for stripping and PCoating on the desired color. It should be getting ready by now.

Wow.

2 very different methods.

Thanks to both of you! This is very informative, and will certainly make everyone appreciate the difficulty of the job.

FYI, front CBR six'spokers are almost direct fit.
They are avaible in 17 and 16 inches very cheap on ebay.
Hers the example with 16" on v-max:

Obraz%20027_jpg.jpg

Just for the record. It doesn't really matter much, but It is a 17" wheel. Next time try to read more carefully the description on your native language web page you are borrowing yourself pictures from.

Cheers,

Im not interested from where "google images search result" came from. You can ask admin to remove them if you want - I dont care...also I dont care about your opinion.

Hmmm. I just googled those 6 spoke rims. I think the 6 spoke rims look nicer than the 3 spoke ones. I loved the RC30 :biglaugh: but 8 spokes only looked good on the single sided swing arm. 6 spokes would look similar on the max to me. :biglaugh:

The rears look like a better match to the '85 front wheel.
But then again, a pair of 6 spoke CBR rims would look good too.

Prez, do you use the Honda disks (front and rear) in that case? I have the bigger disks on the front of mine, not the original ones.

I love VFR rims a lot - especially single sided ones lol
Little to high on the back but that was only the quick mock up!
Took that pics couple months ago.

zdjcie017xw.jpg

No all mt rims include rotor adapter to retian the v-max rear brake.
Of course in anytime you can take off the adapter and try to match the donnor's brake.

Not sure about front rotors size?

I love VFR rims a lot - especially single sided ones lol
Little to high on the back but that was only the quick mock up!
Took that pics couple months ago.

zdjcie017xw.jpg

No all mt rims include rotor adapter to retian the v-max rear brake.
Of course in anytime you can take off the adapter and try to match the donnor's brake.

Not sure about front rotors size?

A sneak peek!
How is the belt drive coming?

Slowly! Cant get anough funds for the rear sprocket(~500$). Also Im stucked with gas tank which Im bulding from a scratch - need to have some free time to finish this.
I have sprockets for chain which can be installed in anytime and ready to ride!
But the main point was the BELT!

Here are another ones:

dsc07174x.jpg

dsc07175i.jpg

dsc07176.jpg

Hard to see what is going on there with the mono shock mount. Are you going to need a custom exhaust now?

Very cool project Przemek!

My 4-2-1 mark needed some refabing but its already done. Everything else is also done.
Frame straightened, PC'd. all SS bolts polished(not perfectly but I dont care) and new fork extensions by the idea wildweasel gave me:

newforkextensions.jpg

Only tank, rear sprocket and belt active tenisioner.
Cant show to much but my chain/belt mod is evolutionary I must admit.
I dare to say its a first proffesionally made conversion!

Very cool project Prez but you might get into trouble due to the high torque and snaping the belt. I have a friend that has a highly modified wildstar 1600 and he snapped the belt 3 times until he decided to go chain. Bare that in mind because belts are expensive... Is that monoshock VFR also? Good work nonetheless... If you're looking for a pulley tell me how many teeth/diameter and i might be able to help you find a used good one around here.

EDIT1 - Have you tested the suspension extension yet? Its a clean mod i should say... and no worries of the stanchion leaving the seats on the inside wall of the outer tube... Did you make the extension hollow? Otherwise you need to recalculate the oil quantity...

Its gates poly chain carbon belt which was designed to take 200kW including heavy impact loads. Everythign was calculated trough gates software. Belt cost me aorund 300$.
I also have an ACTIVE belt tenisioner on the way but...snaping, rock or another deadly dirt can happen I must admit. Anyways I have a positive toughts.

Anyways if you can get the sprocket for GATES GT profile then please check your price for 67/68 teeth and design something like that attached. Carbon steel - will be chromed on the end.

Attachments

• rear sprocket crown.pdf
    249.1 KB · Views: 13
EDIT1 - Have you tested the suspension extension yet? Its a clean mod i should say... and no worries of the stanchion leaving the seats on the inside wall of the outer tube... Did you make the extension hollow? Otherwise you need to recalculate the oil quantity...

No, havent tested it yet.

Hollow indeed.

In this case its only 10ml more of oil each. And no problems like with upper extensions.

EDIT:
No its not VFR shock, its a CBR 929 one with hydraulic preload aded.

Last edited:
Its gates poly chain carbon belt which was designed to take 200kW including heavy impact loads. Everythign was calculated trough gates software. Belt cost me aorund 300$.
I also have an ACTIVE belt tenisioner on the way but...snaping, rock or another deadly dirt can happen I must admit. Anyways I have a positive toughts.

Anyways if you can get the sprocket for GATES GT profile then please check your price for 67/68 teeth and design something like that attached. Carbon steel - will be chromed on the end.

My friend used to buy ?250 belts as well and he got pissed when he broke 3 on hard acceleration (not even shifting down when hard braking). None lasted with him and then he went chain... Lets hope you don't get nagged by that
Is it a steel pulley? thought you would be using cast alloy... I'll see of that

Im sure it was not carbon belt or was 8mm pitch...or maybe he did something wrong?
Buel runs with with regular belt and 1125R puts 146 RWHP on very regular goodyear belt - of course they tend to broke somethimes but chaines and shafts brakes with simialr rate - nothing excessive here my friend.

Steel cuz I want to chrome them. I will never accept chrome on aluminium.
I accepted the weight comes with steel pulleys long ago!

I have a local company that can make me that crown for around 500$.
Anything saved here would be great.

Back