Handlebar mod

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jedi-

Reaction score
My 1990 has drag bars which I like but sometimes cause a bit of discomfort because my shoulders are a but stuffed these days so I'm making a unique mod to pull the bars back.
I have attached a design of one of the parts which I'm laser cutting and will follow up as it progresses. I know it will work Ok and I'm hoping it will look as good as I have visualized it. It does involve cutting my handlebars in half !:surprise:
Stay tuned...:biglaugh:

Attachments

• handlebar.jpg
    handlebar.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 99
The other option is a threaded extension placed under the riser. We have seen/used them before and they do work well to bring the bars up and back. Easy to make and no bar modifications are needed. Simply unbolt the current riser - lift it up - thread on the extension - lower it back into place and rebolt to the extension bolts. Might have a picture somewhere.

Genmar also makes a riser adapter that bolts into the current clamp area then shifts the bars up and back and you reclamp your dog bone back on. Again, a very simple bolt on part that you could make.

Sean

Genmar also makes a riser adapter that bolts into the current clamp area then shifts the bars up and back and you reclamp your dog bone back on. Again, a very simple bolt on part that you could make.

Sean

I have a Genmar, very nice piece, fit & finish is great, but kinda pricey! I tried it with Flanders drag bars but guess the ol' shoulders are too damaged and had to go back to oem bars with the Genmar.

Much preferred the Flanders for looks but I can ride for 2 - 3 hours comfortably with the current set-up.

Odieoh has the risers I want. He did a nice write here on them. When I get home, I'll post a pic of my drag bar with riser set up that I find comfortable. I even have a rebuilt shoulder! Dang Danny, how old are you! LOL. I shy away from modded/ two piece stuff when it comes to steering unless they are clip ons. Hope your mod willwork and be worth the effort as opposed to buying off the shelf. Patmax

I'm aware of other ways to do it and could make it no problem but I want to do it this way because it's unique. If it doesn't look right then I'll move to plan B.:scooter 1:

For sure get some pics as always. I do like the stuff you come up with. I still need to get with you about getting some driveshaft extensions made (if not the whole thing actually).

Sean

Hi Jedi, I love that people try new and cool stuff and the Max is the perfect candidate for cistomizing. I wish I had your talent and tool shop! I hope I did not piss on your idea. I see some of these Harley guys backyard mods and think the gene pool is shallow over there! Hope you post pics of it and it turns great! Patmax

not perfect but works. gets bars back to me in a comfortable spot, are beefy, and I run forward controls

Last edited:
Odieoh has the risers I want. He did a nice write here on them. When I get home, I'll post a pic of my drag bar with riser set up that I find comfortable. I even have a rebuilt shoulder! Dang Danny, how old are you! LOL. I shy away from modded/ two piece stuff when it comes to steering unless they are clip ons. Hope your mod willwork and be worth the effort as opposed to buying off the shelf. Patmax

Haha!! After years of jackhammers, backhoes and 60k - 80k miles a year looking thru the windshield......just slightly over 100 on some days!!!:rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200:

Hey Buster. Bar is up six inches from top of triple to bottom of bar and back just under two and my bar has a slight sweep back, not a true straight across drag bar.

Most drag bars have bends back at the grips. The true bar that is all the way straight across is the "broomstick" bar and not very comfortable at all.

Sean

Broom stick bars will ruin your wrists in a red hot hurry.Mine are close but I threw a TINY curve on them when I made my bars to correct this issue.However mine are the TOTAL opposite of what youre trying to do.

I call em "reaper bars" because my buddy told me "You look like the f******* reaper with those bars on there!"They are the step between drag bars(way more lean) and clip-on's(little less lean) basically.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 117
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 129
The clubman bars are made with the same concept in mind but even more drastic.

Sean

the risers on CLIMAX are the ones over racing in japan sells. they are outrageously expensive, but that's the way i like them lol! i try to buy parts that are out of the normal guys price range-so i dont see the same stuff when i go to the rallies. most max riders dont have much of a problem identifying the aftermarket stuff on the bike.

enjoy
later odieoh24

Taking shape, did some machining tonight. I've used stainless so I can polish it and not worry about corrosion or cost of chrome.

Attachments

• 009 (Large).jpg
    009 (Large).jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 79
I think I see where you are going with this, should be interesting.

Keep us up on the progress.

thanks

This isn't anything new actually. They make or used to make these for clip-ons. You cut all but an inch of your clip on off and then slip these on and reattach the part you cut off.

Ok I found the ones I'd seen in the past.

They WERE made by Sun.

Chris

Attachments

• Sun clip-ons.jpg
    Sun clip-ons.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 82
  • Sun clip-ons #2.jpg
    Sun clip-ons #2.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 80
  • Sun Clip-Ons #3.jpg
    Sun Clip-Ons #3.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 64