Hard Start when warm

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Provided your battery is still fully charged, and it's only doing this AFTER the motor is warmed up and/or completely hot, it is time you pulled that starter off and improved the brush plates' contact with the starter casing.

i agree...pull the starter and bend up the lil tabs on the brush plate.....

there is a tutorial in the how to section. easy job.

Pulled starter....cleaned and bent tabs. Cranked 5-6 times and then nothing. Sounded like the garbled rocks then nothing. WTF did I do wrong? Assembled starter wrong?

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Pulled starter....cleaned and bent tabs. Cranked 5-6 times and then nothing. Sounded like the garbled rocks then nothing. WTF did I do wrong? Assembled starter wrong?

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Kyle, responded to your PM. That rocks noise is the starter clutch kicking back and occurs when the battery is too week to turn the engine over. The starter is pretty easy to put together but you could always remove it and then turn it over to make sure the gear spins freely. I'm betting that the charging system and/or battery is the issue. We'll get it taken care of.

Yeah, if that's a brand new battery, and it's still fully charged, and still not cranking a cold bike faster than that....you got problems. Check the condition of your brand new battery. Put it back on a charger for a bit, and go have it load tested. Would not be the first time a brand new battery wasn't good. If you put a brand new battery in it, then started up the bike, rode it around some, then it cranked like this the next time you went to ride, it could be a couple things. It could be the new battery don't hold a charge. It could be you have something on the bike draining the battery while the bike is shut off. Or it could be the bikes' charging system is weak. Lot's of causes for a weak charging system.

Yeah, if that's a brand new battery, and it's still fully charged, and still not cranking a cold bike faster than that....you got problems. Check the condition of your brand new battery. Put it back on a charger for a bit, and go have it load tested. Would not be the first time a brand new battery wasn't good. If you put a brand new battery in it, then started up the bike, rode it around some, then it cranked like this the next time you went to ride, it could be a couple things. It could be the new battery don't hold a charge. It could be you have something on the bike draining the battery while the bike is shut off. Or it could be the bikes' charging system is weak. Lot's of causes for a weak charging system.

Have you tried jump-starting your bike from a car, with a known good battery? (car should NOT be running when jumping). If it cranks over well and starts, you will have eliminated the starter as the cause of your problem.
Cheers!

Well, Mark came over yesterday and we solved the problem. Turns out even the new P.O.S made in China maintenance free battery was DOA. Cleaned the starter out, re soldered some 'iffy' connections and voila!! Lesson learned: always start with the simple things (battery). Thank you for all your input fellas!

Latest posts

Back