Harley Touring air shocks?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoPure

Reaction score
Harley Touring air shocks? pics added

Does anyone know if these would work well on a max? I would just keep my stockers, but I'm going all black and don't want to paint the shocks/springs. I also think these look better, cleaner. These are supposed to be 13" eye-eye, but I just don't know how they'd ride. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
All you can do is try and see how they fare.. Harleys are heavy, so that's a good thing. But they're not particularly known for decent suspension, so hmm..

pretty much exactly my thinking on it. Heavy-good, ride-hmmm. I guess I'll have to try it. It'll probably be spring before I'll get to test them though.

Do the hoses connect to a pump? If you're going with a touring setup might be nice to have a adjustible suspension. What do the royal stars use for rear suspension?

Do the hoses connect to a pump? If you're going with a touring setup might be nice to have a adjustible suspension. What do the royal stars use for rear suspension?

Not sure about the royal stars. But as far as I know there's no onboard pump. I really haven't researched the Harleys any, but I think it would probably be a good idea at this piont to do that. When you say adjustable suspension, are you talking about shock rebound and compression adjustability or something else? Would'nt the air pressure in the air shocks be the adjustment if that's the case? As far as compression anyways. The only thing I really know about them so far is that they use air and oil. Going now to do some research.

Finally got this thing going. The only mod I had to do was bore the steel sleeves out some. The HD shock uses a 1/2" bolt or stud and the max was .580" or something like that, don't remember for sure now. It leaves the sleeve pretty thin. Another issue is the eyelet is about 1/4" or so wider than the max shock, so I used a little longer bolt on the top just to get more thread engagement and locktite on the lower nut. I'm running 8lbs of air per side (don't have them tied together yet) and so far I really like them. They feel a lot better than the stock shocks.
Now I need to do my front progressives.
Oh, and these are off of a Road King. I think it was a '05.

Attachments

• P1020387.jpg
    P1020387.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 33
  • P1020388.jpg
    P1020388.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 32
  • P1020390.jpg
    P1020390.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
looks like they r pretty close to the exhaust, hope they don't touch they mite burn through the rubber sleave

Ya these look pretty good, and if they work well then great!

But I agree, it does look a bit like the 'trapps mght cook the rubbers a bit.. You might want to add a couple of washers behind the slip-ons attachments.

The left side has a good 5/8" clearance. The right side is a different story. There's only about 1/16" on the right. I tried to take the header pipes apart for powder coating and got the right side cross pipe a little twisted at the joint. I'm pretty sure that is where my alignment problem is. I had one hell of a struggle just getting the left side trapp on there. But so far the rubber isn't showing any signs of being too hot. Maybe it's made outta the same shit as the cushi-hub rubbers?

Latest posts

Back