Headshake?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cliffclaven

Reaction score
Seems like the max wants to. A lot of the time. Nothing crazy tho. Air pai is even at 7. Steering head bearings maybe?

Headshake, welcome to owning a v-max.

Worn/cupped tires, low tire pressure, loose steering stem bearings, bad/notchy stem bearings are some of the more common culprits to check. Lowering the forks an inch, or sliding the tubes up in the tree 3/4" sometimes helps as well.

Honestly though, it's been reported that some of these bikes came mis-aligned from the factory, as in not-straight frames, in which case you'll never really cure it short of getting it professionally aligned at a compu-trak shop. I tried absolutely everything on my '97 (short of alignment) and while I made progress, it was never really cured of the high speed wobbles.

OK, so not just me. Wobble comes on at about 105 and is down right scary by 120. I have not had the courage to go past that. B-A-D shake. Like, this would do a better job than the paint shaker at Home Depot.

Glad it is is known deal.

C

Yep....check out Seans video in the 2nd post. Mine had a shake when I first bought it...I dont anymore.

Last edited:
OK, so not just me. Wobble comes on at about 105 and is down right scary by 120. I have not had the courage to go past that. B-A-D shake. Like, this would do a better job than the paint shaker at Home Depot.

Glad it is is known deal.

C

So put it on the center stand, or lift. Start it up and idle it up to a couple grand rpms in 2nd or 3rd gear. See how bad your BACK tire wiggles. Please report back - I'm curious.

Definitely DO inspect your neck bearings and adjust according to Sean's video. It helps tremendously to control whatever is causing your bikes' headshake. (in my experience, always a worn/crooked back tire)

Others have had different experiences.

This sounds like a test for a Darwin award. My wife will not allow a motorcycle in the living room.

So put it on the center stand, or lift. Start it up and idle it up to a couple grand rpms in 2nd or 3rd gear. See how bad your BACK tire wiggles. Please report back - I'm curious.

Definitely DO inspect your neck bearings and adjust according to Sean's video. It helps tremendously to control whatever is causing your bikes' headshake. (in my experience, always a worn/crooked back tire)

Others have had different experiences.

This sounds like a test for a Darwin award. My wife will not allow a motorcycle in the living room.

WTF???? Is that some way of calling me stupid because I suggested you go test your back tire for wobbles? AFAIC, you can take your Vmax problems and shove them up your..........:bang head:

No I WAS not calling you stupid for your test. It was my way of cracking a joke. Some people (not myself, I am a bit more open minded) may take your test as a tad dangerous. I have not done your test since my bike isn't running right now due to some carburetor issues.

I AM calling you a damn child for your chosen response to my post. You could have PM'd me or asked for clarification on my message, but you chose to act like a 3 year old and throw a fit.

I WILL take your advice to check for rear tire wobble when the Max runs again.

In the mean time, you can take your crummy attitude and shove it up your .........

:punk:

C

WTF???? Is that some way of calling me stupid because I suggested you go test your back tire for wobbles? AFAIC, you can take your Vmax problems and shove them up your..........:bang head:

The main thing is "don't get excited" or is it the main thing is to maintain...lol Have a nice day

Text without context. Makes me think of text messages with the wife. Way too much room for interpretation and it all relies on the current state of mind of the individual reading it.

It was an entertaining read either way. :punk:

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

My V65 had the wobble from the back, could be felt as a low frequency side to side oscillation of the whole bike working its way from back to front like someone was wiggling the rear fender side to side while you sat on it.
If pushed harder/further it would then develop into a front head shake (and ultimately the full blown tank slapper that me spit off at 140 mph and should have killed me)

Checking it with the ass of the bike off in the air is a very good, valid test. That comes with risks of shaking it off the center stand but only if you revved the crap out of it like an idiot (which no one on here is) instead of slowly bringing it up to control it, and abort, if it gets out of hand.

I've never felt the Vmax do this. It's always been a straight up head shake from the very start.

putting 17inch wheels seem to fix it for me ask Boxenstop

I noticed the same thing. When I put the front matching 17" wheel on, it became a different handling ride. Steering is quick, but straight line stability is right on. Of course everything mentioned above has to be right. Like don't shove things up your keister sideways. Bad tires and loose/bad head bearings are common. A stocker without mods should be comfortable into the triple digits with good tires. Most don't stop there, me included. Radials are big, solid mounts, frame bracing, they all contribute.
Steve-o

I noticed the same thing. When I put the front matching 17" wheel on, it became a different handling ride. Steering is quick, but straight line stability is right on. Of course everything mentioned above has to be right. Like don't shove things up your keister sideways. Bad tires and loose/bad head bearings are common. A stocker without mods should be comfortable into the triple digits with good tires. Most don't stop there, me included. Radials are big, solid mounts, frame bracing, they all contribute.
Steve-o

I wonder if the 17 inch wheel helps because its smaller than stock, so it will move the geometry a bit, so in turn will move more weight forward on the front tire?

I wonder if the 17 inch wheel helps because its smaller than stock, so it will move the geometry a bit, so in turn will move more weight forward on the front tire?

I think that's a big part of it Eric. Even though the rear is also lower than stock, I still have changed the geometry and weight to the forward position more. Less rotating mass/weight also. It sure gives me a good tire selection. It was the best $400 I ever spent. Of course the PC, polishing, new bearings and tire are additional.

Back