Help. Can't find VIN, how to determine year?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That engine number also looks suspect to me, I don't see the anti-tamper ripples that I would expect - below is an example of my Japaneese import

attachment.php

DSCN0210.jpg

Am I looking at the wrong spot? How come you guys can get a lot better angle ?

As far as I can remember it was pretty hard to get a good pic because of the frame or something blocking the view.

If I'm looking at the right spot, what does that strange looking number tell us then if it doesn't look like the way an engine number suppose to look?

I know its been asked, do you or do you not have paperwork on the bike?
What does IT give for a vin?

You should have no problem getting a better pic of the motor number.

Only way something is in the way is if it a California of bike with canister in the way,
If so just unbolt it and move it out of the way.

Last edited:
Hi guys,

I took a look at the paperwork. In my country here in Asia, vmax is not a model that was sold by yamaha here. So it was individually bought/imported (could be new or used) from other country. The paperwork does say the VIN was the same 5 digit numbers like on the frame.

I tried the bike. Engine (cold) started right out as soon as I hit the starter, idle is very smooth. but mid range rpm a bit rough. Engine almost feels like a new bike.

The owner of the bike doesn't know the history of the bike. He thinks this bike was a special edition unit like a demo unit or something like that. But he wasn't sure because he is not the original owner himself.

I notice a small amount of oil on the fork, it seems to be leaking. Someone mentioned here that they are the older type fork? So if I'm to replace the seal I should get the older type (I think it was the 40mm type?) How do you guys know it's the older fork?

So what do you guys think about the strange vin and engine number?
I'm a little concern about buying parts because I'm not sure about the year. Such as fork seal.

Thank you,
regards,

Honestly the year matters very little when buying 99% of the parts.

I think the forks are identifiable either because they have the little fork air manifold or because they have single pot front brakes.

Other than the starter, which us interchangeable with all years anyway, and the ignition TCI, ignition pickups and the flywheel I don't remember anything else that is not interchangeable.

There are a few differences in the shape of the forks between the years
- the older design quickly reduces in dimater below the fork seals, the newer ones have a slower change in diameter from the top
- the bottom of the forks also has a different shape, older forks finish in a V where newer ones are much more square

OLD
bikepics-28281-full.jpg

NEW
Yamaha%20V%20Max%2084.jpg

Yea, we sell them too. Can't remember off hand but want to say in the $50 pair pricing?

So what do you guys think about the strange vin and engine number?
I'm a little concern about buying parts because I'm not sure about the year. Such as fork seal.

Thank you,
regards,

It could be that in your country the original VIN plate was taken off and so the only number is whatever is in your papers / on the bike.

As far as getting parts it's no prob - the forks is either pre or post '93, then there are no other differences.
And the motor is either pre or post '90, which is the main change in TCI ignition box.
Other than that you'll find a few minor things like old-style paper oil filter or newer spin-on car type filter, and just about everything else is the same from 1985 - 2007!

Back