help! removing cross threaded screw

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ptnov

Reaction score
Hi,

I was switching pulling my carbs to change rubbers and shim my needles, while doing this i managed to cross thread the 10mm bolt that holds the fuelpump. It's now stuck and when i'm trying to remove it, it's only spinning around.

I tried lots of WD-40 and "CRC penetrating Oil + MoS" on the bolt. Didn't work. Also tried using impact screwdriver... Didn't work.

Google tells me to drill it out, but that's something I'd rather not do since i don't have drill :p

Any of you guys have any methods for removing these bolts?

The driver is spinning around on the bolt (rounded/stripped) or the bolt is spinning around in the hole (threads gone)?

Yeah the impact wrench, drill, etc. That's all for removing bolts that have had their heads rounded or stripped out but are quite stuck. If the bolt is just spinning around it's going to do that regardless of how much/fast/hard you turn it.

Once it's out, there's going to be welding or helicoiling involved to get the new one in. Might be time to start getting quotes from local machine shops and welders and start getting quotes. Nothing about this is terribly hard, but it does have to be terribly precise. If you can find one that will show you the ropes as they do their thing then even better. This won't be the last time something like this happens.

Bolts can be a mother fucker. I just got done tearing the head off my wife's Harley because an exhaust stud snapped off in it. A simple cable replacement turned into pulling the jug apart, running the head over to a machine shop, drilling it, and then of course the fun of putting a jug back together.

Before:

During:

After:

Gooooooood times.

+1 to pull and twist.

Not sure if you were working on the pump or not but, it doesn't need to be removed to pull the carbs. Heck, you don't need to remove the pump to pull the engine.

You might be able to get away with a longer bolt and a nut.

I removed the fuel pump to get clearance, so it would be easier to put on the airbox tube.

I tried vice grip pulling and twisting... didn't work, or i might have done it wrong. Now all threads are its just spinning around very loosely now. Maybe this means it's going the right way? :p

Don't pull the pump next time. Lift out the overflow tank and reach in there to put the airbox hose on. Much easier.

Sean

If the vise grips alone isn't working... see if there's enough room for you to get the edge of a screwdriver under the bolt and pry up as you undo it. Even better, get someone to help you and have them do that while you use the vise grips to pull and turn.

If all that fails... the only thing I have left is to drill it out.

If the vise grips alone isn't working... see if there's enough room for you to get the edge of a screwdriver under the bolt and pry up as you undo it. Even better, get someone to help you and have them do that while you use the vise grips to pull and turn.

If all that fails... the only thing I have left is to drill it out.

Yeah, did get a neighbor to help me. He's an old vintage motorcycle restorer, so he did everything he could. We ended up using a saw to cut the screw between the frame and mounting bracket. It did get the bolt head of but the rest is still stuck in the bracket. The threads near the bolt head where completely stripped.

I'll try to poke/screw the rest through the hole later. Think it will work because that part is tight:)

Don't pull the pump next time. Lift out the overflow tank and reach in there to put the airbox hose on. Much easier.

Sean

I think i meant that part. I just unbolted the bracket that holds the pump to get more room :)

Back