HID Ballast location advice

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diablotin

Reaction score
Hi guys, I wanted to know where should I install the ballast ? It's not a slim one. I tried the air scope, but it looks impossible. Since I have a small headlight cowl, I just put it for the meantime behind the speedometer. But I would prefer to hide it, to avoid anybody to get a free ballast ;) Thanks by advance Diablotin

Hi guys, I wanted to know where should I install the ballast ? It's not a slim one. I tried the air scope, but it looks impossible. Since I have a small headlight cowl, I just put it for the meantime behind the speedometer. But I would prefer to hide it, to avoid anybody to get a free ballast ;) Thanks by advance Diablotin

What are the dimentions of it?

Some people may find it a little goofy but how but inside the airbox?

That's where I put the electric "air motor" for my air horns..

I't on the outside of the filter area so other than taking up a little space in there as long as the filters in place no danger to your motor.

You drill a small hole and use a grommet for the wiring and use quick connect wiring so the air box can be removed.

I'd like to hear/see more about your conversion too, very interested.

Thanks,

Rusty

the ballast looks like this type of previous model : http://www.xenonlink.com/images/ballastc.jpg I was thinking about the airbox but I was a little shy about the idea to make it. For more information, I put a single beam HID since the headlight won't allow a hi/low beam. I didn't want to replace the headlight. For the wiring, I'm planning to pluf it directly on the bulb plug but only on the high beam. Like I can get the HID started only if I switch on high beam. I know I will sacrifice the High Beam, But the HID brightness is already good enough. And like that I don't need to add an additional switch. Mika

Picture doesn't really give us the size but I think you might find it will mount on top of the ignitor unit below the upper frame section or offset to left of the ignitor unit. (remove the left hand scoop and the relay panel to gain access to this space) Don't be afraid to disconnect and re-route the wiring harnesses.

I almost got an R1 regulator to fit in this space but was just a few millimeters short of clearing the frame.

According to that site, it is 3 inch X 3 inch X 1 inch.

According to that site, it is 3 inch X 3 inch X 1 inch.

Thanks Buster. I was being slack and didn't go to the main page.

3"x3"x1" should fit like a glove above the ignitor behind the relay panel on the left hand side. :clapping:

Thanks Buster. I was being slack and didn't go to the main page.

3"x3"x1" should fit like a glove above the ignitor behind the relay panel on the left hand side. :clapping:

Thanks guys for these great info, i will check that tomorrow. To be honnest, never I thought I will find space there. I guess It might be better than under the airbox cover.

Are you using any kind of projector in your headlight? I have HIDs in my car and always it for the Max, but I didn't know how well it would work if you couldn't control the light output.

Are you using any kind of projector in your headlight? I have HIDs in my car and always it for the Max, but I didn't know how well it would work if you couldn't control the light output.

It's a regular H4 HID kit : Ballast + bulb (low beam only). Could can find some on ebay for a good price. The only pb for bike, it's the lengh of the wires which could be too small depending how you want to plug it. The headlight seems to be not deep enough for handling a motorized H4-3 (hi/low beam). I prefered not to try it. For example : http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/YAMA...001QQitemZ110212364578QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V http://cgi.ebay.com/Yamaha-HID-V-Ma...ageNameZWD2VQQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p1638.m122

before you install it make sure the AC wiring going to the bulb is shielded and grounded, it should have some type of braided metal sheating from hte ballast to the bulb covering up the wiring

If it doesn't come equipped with some very good shielding around the wiring to the bulb you have a possibilty of throwing some interference into you TCI/Ignitor box

The output on these is usually around 250-300 volts AC

AC can interfere with electronics if not shielded and taken to ground.

I found this out when I did a hap hazard installation of some NEON lighting which also uses an AC source,

The second I would switch it on my timing would fuck up and engine would run like crap, switch it off and starting running fine again.

Rusty

I really have been thinking about this....it would be a bit easier for my because I have projectors and a large enough fairing that I should be able to fit it all no problem. If you get this kit can you give me a review of the kit and the seller? Thanks

Frank

I just purchased a Euro Effects HID kit from eBay. It has a relay for high and low beam. The ballast is smaller than a deck of playing cards. Haven't had a chance to install it yet. It was good reading all the ideas where to mount it. Thanks everyone.

I just purchased a Euro Effects HID kit from eBay. It has a relay for high and low beam. The ballast is smaller than a deck of playing cards. Haven't had a chance to install it yet. It was good reading all the ideas where to mount it. Thanks everyone.

It would rule , if you would do a write up and take plenty of pictures to show how you've done it. :punk: Then show the "before and after" of the headlight.

The stock head light reflector SUCKS and I don't think it matters what bulb you put in it... HID's are nice and I'd like to see what it does but I have a hard time believing it will work right when the lens and reflector wasn't made for HID.

I have a hard time believing it will work right when the lens and reflector wasn't made for HID.

I've heard / read the same. If the bulb does not sit in the right position in the reflector it disperses the beam.

The effect is that from the riders perspective the road lights up like a Christmas tree but from the perspective of anyone heading towards you the glare is blinding.

I've heard / read the same. If the bulb does not sit in the right position in the reflector it disperses the beam.

The effect is that from the riders perspective the road lights up like a Christmas tree but from the perspective of anyone heading towards you the glare is blinding.

I will agree on the fact the OEM headlight sucks. I'm sure I don't get the best from the Bulbs but still what a nice improvement. I checked that last night and the result is quite nice. I tried to follow my gf in order to see if I was lighting the clouds and blinding the drivers, but she told me it was ok. It's also a big improvement during the day, because at least now you can be seen. Do someone knows where to find a good projector ? I didn't hear about it for bikes.

Just be careful with the motorized H4-3, are you sure the OEM headlight is deep enough ? Else you might damage your bulb and your lens.

Back