Hindle exhaust issues.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tahoe99

Reaction score
IMG_0589.jpg

IMG_0591.jpg

Hindle exhaust 4-1 with titanium muffler.
Is this normal after being on a bike for 11 miles? :damn angry: I keep the bike garaged. I understand about condensation and all but man, I paid almost 1k for this exhaust! They mentioned using cleaner to get the rust off. If it does not come out then they will replace it.
I wish I would have went with my original decision and got the Holeshot system.

I don't blame for not being happy - that just doesn't look right to me either - I thought the Hindle header was made out of stainless?

Mike

For Some Reason the phase, "Money doesn't buy Happiness", comes to mind.

I'd definitely look into having them replaced, if it was me. Cause that... just aint right!

My "stainless" UFO system did the same thing, took longer than yours but less than a year. I took it to a ceramic coater this winter and it looks 100% better for $150. We'll see how that holds up, If not, I'm just going to wrap them and call it good.

:ummm:Stainless will do that almost every time. Eventually.

My UFO's takes about 400-600 miles of riding before it starts. If I polish the headers every time I wash the bike it's failry easy to keep up with.

If you let it get away from you it can be tougher but it will come out. You're gonna have to use a polsih that's abrasive enough to get it done.

I've used various grits of Clover valve grinding compound with good results but others work also.

It will polish out with a little work.

Too do it in 11 miles sounds a little premature to say the least:ummm:. Are you sure you wiped all the grease and handprints off of them after the install? Any foriegn material left on them will "cook" in in a hurry.

Another approach is to wipe the headers with WD-4o after a good cleaning and regularly let it burn in, they'll turn a nice golden yellow color. The key to this is keeping them wiped down with wd-40 regularly.

Rusty

Isn't the purpose of stainless to prevent rust? My stainless headers are going on 3 years and no rusting at all.

I would take those headers and hit Mr. Hindle and Mr. Cornell over the head with 'em.

Mark

There's an easy test to see what type of stainless it's made out of - there's 2 types of stainless; 300 series & 400 series - the 300 series stainless is made of non carbon metals - ie; nickel, etc... and will never rust. The 400 series is made with a base of carbon steel, than coated with nickel, etc... and will rust, how fast depends on coating thickness.

Therefore, a magnet will stick to 400 series stainless , but not on 300 series.

Mike

Isn't the purpose of stainless to prevent rust? My stainless headers are going on 3 years and no rusting at all.

I would take those headers and hit Mr. Hindle and Mr. Cornell over the head with 'em.

Mark

That's what I'm getting at, a lot of times it is not rust at all but merely burnt in foriegn stuff, road grime etc.....there ARE different grades of stainless that's for sure...no idea how that plays into the equation...

Rusty

Mark

Trust me if I had the choice I would have a different exhaust setup on the bike right now. When I purchased the system I didn't find this site until after I purchased it.
They said there wasn't many options for exhaust. It was either Kerker or Hindle...shoulda went Kerker.

Hopefully U-Motors will work with me on this. They have been one of the best dealer experiences I have had so far.

The Kerker is no better.

Salt will just about eat through anything and make it rust. If you ride your bike in the Northern states during the winter months make sure to completely wash the exhaust off before putting it away. The salt from the roads will eat through whatever coating you have and rust the pipes if you let them sit. My Kerker started to rust the first winter I had the bike. I got it ceramic coated this winter, rode it a couple of times, always tried my best to wash off the salt and it is rusting again in between the pipes where I apparently didn't get to.

The Kerker is no better.

Salt will just about eat through anything and make it rust. If you ride your bike in the Northern states during the winter months make sure to completely wash the exhaust off before putting it away. The salt from the roads will eat through whatever coating you have and rust the pipes if you let them sit. My Kerker started to rust the first winter I had the bike. I got it ceramic coated this winter, rode it a couple of times, always tried my best to wash off the salt and it is rusting again in between the pipes where I apparently didn't get to.

Don't forget, Urea. Quite often it is mixed with the de-icer. Yup it is what it sounds like, and it causes rust, like you wouldn't believe.

When I still had my chopper in Southeast Alaska, I had to replace spokes, bolts, hell you name it cause of the stuff.
and it got contaminated during the leftover residue in the spring.

YEA, YEARS AGO I HAD A MUZZY STAINLESS STEEL SYSTEM ON MY KAWASAKI ZX1100, IT WAS GREAT ! NEVER RUSTED , JUST GOT A LITTLE BIT DISCOLORED
THE FIRST 4-6 INCHES OFF OF THE HEAD ! YOU COULD BARELY SEE IT ! PS. ( SUPER FAST BIKE ):cheers:

Latest posts

Back