hot start problems?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sidwin

Reaction score
Ok so the mod bug is in full force. i put in the my v-boost switch yesterday which BTW doesn't feel that much different but I guess i don't have any power mods on the bike that would take full advantage.

I put my bar end mirrors on. Do most guys have the mirrors pointing down or up? i noticed my right hand is more comfortable is the mirror is pointing down.

I went ahead and wired a fan switch while I was at it. First time i hooked it up i hooked up the temp gauge instead of the fan switch ;)

last, i went and dead the crimp fix. I pulled it all the way back and solder a crap load into the wire and into the crimp itself.

Today i went for a ride and when i pulled over i noticed i couldn't hot start my bike. WTF!!!! The battery should be only a year old. I had no problems starting the bike when it stat of almost a week not being on a charger so i can only think it must be hot start of because i had my fan on my during commute.

So what next... if i replaced my rectifier would all my pain go away? Can someone post the exact part they bought on ebay? I love this bike.... but this is retarded!

Thanks,
Sid

hopefully the wire didnt unsolder if you ended up with crap loads on it. how is your fan wired, can you leave it on all the time(hot wired) maybe you left it on and it drained down yoru batt. how did you start it after that, push start? does it run fine after that. if you can start it put a meter on it and see what the charging voltage is to try and narrow down the issue.

maybe starter issue/clutch. did you try and jump the solenoid and see if it will turn over?

Batteries can go bad within a year, it's not unheard of.

Before you go replacing your R/R, do yourself a favor and measure the voltage at the battery with the motor running. If it's low then maybe your R/R needs replacing, but to be honest on an '01 I wouldn't think so.

Then try hot-starting the bike while jumping with a car battery - if it goes straight away then it's your battery that's dead, not the R/R.

If you replace your battery, go for an AGM or gel battery - they don't spill, they don't dry out and they last a lot longer and the acid bath ones. I got a Panasonic under $50 for mine and a year on it's still going great.

I put a switch on the fan switch and it is switched power.

I stalled the bike coming to work and noticed she was hesitant to start. when i got to work i decided to do some more testing. That is when i noticed she was having a hard time cranking over.

I have a AGM in my fz and i'll order one up.

Thanks,
Sid

there's not a power increase with the vboost switch, which one do you have a t-boost? i usually use mine just to turn it off on the long runs but now that i have it wont buy it again, doesn't do much for me. actually made my vboost come in a couple hundred rpm higher now not sure why?

have you check for a loose batt connection, maybe its loosened over time, that might cause the weak crank over

I'd check charging voltage at your battery while running FIRST.

You should have a bare minimum of 13.25 volts at idle, I believe. Probably more if the batt is slightly less than full charged when you check it.

Then, as you increase throttle, the volts should go up from there, maxing out at around 14.5v. If so, there's probably nothing wrong with the rectifier/regulator.

If the starter will crank the motor over easily AFTER it sits and the bike cools down a bit, you have the dreaded 'dirty starter' disease.

There are plenty of posts on this forum regarding starter removal/cleaning and re-assembly, and what to look for in the terms of trouble spots while inside it.

If you do need another battery already, I recommend doing the batt box mod and putting in a larger battery. After 25 years of owning my 85, this mod is really the ONLY mod I have done or even wanted to do. It's an unseen mod, so it didn't bother me as much. That's just me. I love my 85 stock.

Well started the bike for lunch to go get my new 120/170 tires put on. Bike started up fine. Definitely a hot start problem. This time i left the fan off. So now what???

Should i go ahead and get a new battery?

Thanks,
Sid

Sidwin,
the main "hot start problem" with my 06 was the ground cable from the engine (right side next to the oil fill plug) to the battery / frame. When I cut the black plastic covering at the ends, found the connector end was just crimped onto the copper wire. Soldered both ends and it solved my problem. When the engine got hot, the connector got hot too and expanded to make a poor ground connection with the wire / battery. Thus the lack of starter turnover.

Back