How can I check the starter clutch?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brettr77

Reaction score
The old battery was dying so I replaced it and then the old starter died so I replaced it. It started up twice with no problem and idled for a while so I shut it down to go grab the helmet to take it home to start working on her. Got back an hour later and she refuses to start... any clues to what it may be? We even ran jumpers to the starter and all she will do is spin. Seems like she isn't getting any spark. Thanks

It did before but now it will not start at all. It just keeps on turning so it seems like it isnt producing a spark. I pulled a plug and tried starting ti see if a spark would jump from the plug to a screwdriver but couldn't be certain. I guess my next move is to trick a buddy into putting his finger into the spark boot :)

The motor turns but you suspect no spark.

If you remove a plug all you need to do is rest it on the cylinder head which will be sufficient to provide an earth.
Recommend that you keep fingers (yours or a 'volunteers') away from it!

If you don't have a spark then suggest that you start by measuring the resistance of the pick-up coil.

I have the stuff to do the COPs mod so I am hoping that it will take care of everything.Would that essentially override the pick-up coil?

You are confusing the pick up coil that supplies timing for the ignition, with the coils that provide spark to the sparkplugs. Two separate animals.

As Mr Jfeagins says they are two separate animals.

The pick-up coil (mounted inside the flywheel cover) produces the signal that tells the ignition unit to cut the feed from the coil which in turn creates the spark.

If this is nor working for any reason then you Max becomes a large, mobile ornament.

I've suggested this before elsewhere, the quickest way to get something working is to do good diagnosis so that you know what is (or at least eliminated what isn't) causing the issue.
You can sometimes clutch straws and hang on but more often than not you miss and get it wrong.
Sorry, don't mean to lecture but I have suffered the pain of applying the rule of guesswork in the past and am trying to save you some pain.:th_smilie:

If you don't have a spark then start where the spark gets created.

Back