How do you think this ... um... thing looks?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bazwell

Reaction score
Here's a picture of the speedo I put on Veronica.

IMG_0079.jpg

I've been toying with the ides of fitting this plastic thing to her to tidy up where all the wires and top triple clamp are.
I'm thinking of cutting it down about 3/4" or 1" and mounting it kinda like this.

IMG_0089.jpg IMG_0093.jpg

Do you think it will look good? I can't make up my mind. Maybe it will just look crap. :ummm:

Doesn't look too bad, paint it body color and some simple red pin striping to match the flames.............................Tom.

sorry. not doing it for me. wind and fly screens are difficult. i, too, have been struggling to find the "IT" one.

The first thing that I would do is re-route the throttle cables, so that they run behind the trees.
Then I would forget about that shroud, and find a smallish dark smoked flyscreen to fit, one that extends down on each side of your aftermarket headlamp (which looks good).
I remember thinking how much more streamlined the stock max looked with the tinted OEM fly, over the bare speedo-exposed appearance, so that was my first accessory purchased. If the bike had been equipped with a large side by side tach to match the speedometer, I would have thought differently.
Guess I'm still sweet on the Eighties stylin'
Just my humble opinions. The bottom line is - do whatever YOU like.
Gotta run. Just got a new Loverboy cassette. Think I'll take the Duster out for a spin, and light it up.
Cheers, Mate!

Doesn't work for me too. Classic headlight and modern fly screen don't match.
The position is a bit too vertical, the end of the fly screen should eventually come on top of the headlight.

No worry, as Greg mentioned, finding the right fly screen is a pain when you have an aftermarket headlight. I still struggle finding something for my 2 projectors but in a vertical setup I think it's kind of hopeless. I just don't want to mess up the look.
If they were side by side I would have good a street triple fly screen.

how about if you flip the flyscreen upside down and cut it so it follows the countour of the headlight?

Not my favorite look. I actually like the stock flyscreen and Gustafsson Plastics in St. Augustine FL can make you a taller one if you wish, and then you can cut it to whatever shape or height you want. Choose your color & height.
+5" +2"
http://www.bikescreen.com/search.asp

That would look ok with the twin headlight setup... How is your vector running? Any issues? What kind of RPM sensing lead did you use?

Thanks guys, it's a no! :biglaugh:

It is very hard to find something that will suit this. The headlamp is so much further away, there would be no conventional screen that will fit.
I just had to go and buy a stretched headlamp. :confused2:
v with marks.jpg

But that's OK because I wanted it to be different. :biglaugh:

But that area really needs a cover. Either that or it needs a nicer looking triple clamp that fits and looks finished.

If I get the idea right I'll probably just form something out of aluminium plate, but I haven't worked it out yet. Maybe bat wings. :biglaugh:

It just gives me the willies like that!

That would look ok with the twin headlight setup... How is your vector running? Any issues? What kind of RPM sensing lead did you use?

Oh, it works. This one doesn't have the tacho for some reason. The one with the tacho on it (looks almost the same) was 30% more.
I was going to buy a similar shaped one from that bloke in the UK that everyone gets those RX2n speedo's from. He trial fitted it and worked out what bracket I needed, and I sent an email saying "yes, I want it, and the bracket too. How do I order it?". After 2 weeks and a follow up email, no reply.

This speedo was just the cheapest of 2 from that manufacturer, because it was the only ones I could find in the heart of Melbourne when I was there last Friday. I just wanted something so I could ride it and be "legal". It kinda attracts the cops attention, and my original speedo was unmistakenly very broken....

I have the one with the tach and other than the tach being goofy at times I love it! I have a shift light that works fine so its no big deal... I like the Vector all by itself, I'm with everyone else though leave the cover off...

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

"Thanks guys, it's a no! :biglaugh:

It is very hard to find something that will suit this. The headlamp is so much further away, there would be no conventional screen that will fit.

I just had to go and buy a stretched headlamp. :confused2:
View attachment 28699

But that's OK because I wanted it to be different.
:biglaugh:

But that area really needs a cover. Either that or it needs a nicer looking triple clamp that fits and looks finished.

If I get the idea right I'll probably just form something out of aluminum plate, but I haven't worked it out yet. Maybe bat wings."
:biglaugh:

Bazwell, that is one beautiful bike! The headlight looks so much better than the stock one!
Have you considered making your own flyscreen? I've made five, out of different thicknesses of plexiglass. It not a difficult job, once youv'e made one or two. I've always used dark plexiglass, so that scratch resistance and clarity are not big issues, since the screens are not really designed to be looked through. I did make a windscreen extension out of clear Lexan, a much more scratch resistant material, but this material does not bend as easily as plexiglass.
Cheers!

Attachments

• P1010687.jpg
    P1010687.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 30
How about this? :ummm:

Attachments

• 20120925_201415.jpg
    20120925_201415.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 42
  • 20120922_182318.jpg
    20120922_182318.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 45
  • 20120922_182348.jpg
    20120922_182348.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 44
Everyone has their own tastes- so you won't like mine. The mini fairing hides the classic headlight. To most, it will just seem like a stocker with a mini shield.

now I'll really put my foot in it... If it were me, I would go to a 7" headlight... I think that would really give it a great look

Attachments

• 7inhead.JPG
    7inhead.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 24
  • 7inheadwscreen.JPG
    7inheadwscreen.JPG
    29.9 KB · Views: 24
It's better than the old one, but is that with your new headlight fitted? It's kinda hard to tell without it and it looks like it's not in there, or am I dreaming?

It's better than the old one, but is that with your new headlight fitted? It's kinda hard to tell without it and it looks like it's not in there, or am I dreaming?

That's a mock up with the standard headlight. I'm still in the deciding phase.
Deciding if I can make it work. :ummm:

Back