How Fast

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had my 94 Max at 145 and climbing when I backed off.
125 in my Jaguar XK-E
125 in my 356 Porsche SC
130 in a Ferrari 330 GT

David

Last edited:
OK I'll give you both race track and street

201.78 (in 7.409 sec) Suzuki drag bike (2 valve)
157.24 (in 8.430 sec) '69 Camaro drag car (560 + spray)

166.3 '67 Corvette (427/435) Seaney Stretch in upper Michigan (speed based on timing stakes spedo showed needle against peg)

176 '94 Yamaha FZR 1100 Seaney Stretch in upper Michigan

Fastest on V-Max is an indicated 135

I have been "around" 150 (indicated) in a number of cars including my curret Roush.

BTW My Ram Air IV (bob cat) '70 Trans Am could only get a little over 125. But it had a 3.90 rear (yeah, and it got great gas mileage too)

145-150 on the vmax speedometer on a nice deserted U.P. road 6 years ago. Now about 4-5 times a year I get up to 135 mph at a deserted army air base, but generally like to play in 0-100 range. M/C top speed may change this summer since i will have a '03 FZ-1 that has DW 4 into 1/ Stage 2 jet kit and timing advance kit to ride, it's fast at least compared to Redbone!
http://www.holeshot.com/videos/FZ1_Flyby.mpg
In a car the tops has been 130 in my buddies '84 Vette, on I-285 near the Dunwoody exit! (Rollie will recognize that area) But that is probably not too unusal for I-285 back then ('87-'88) because if you weren't doing at least 80 in the LH lane you were blocking traffic.:biglaugh:

Yep , know it well. Most of the time now during the daytime , we're lucky to do 55 it's so crowded. Maybe aroud 2-6:00 A.M. you could do it. " Suicide Circle " or the " Redneck Autobahn " , as we like to call it , is also home to the 185 Club . You can guess why they call themselves that !

154 mph indicated on a Turbo XS-11 Yamaha.
147 mph indicated on an XJ-1100 Yamaha
145 mph indicated, best guess trying to look down at the speedo on SkullDuggery.

156 mph radar verified in my own modified 89, 5.0 Mustang.

Near Mach II, Backseat of an F4 on Afterburner. Special Invitation, Joyride at the Air Force Academy.:worthy:

Yep , know it well. Most of the time now during the daytime , we're lucky to do 55 it's so crowded. Maybe aroud 2-6:00 A.M. you could do it. " Suicide Circle " or the " Redneck Autobahn " , as we like to call it , is also home to the 185 Club . You can guess why they call themselves that !
I used to run the "I-285" from Marietta over to Jimmy Carter Blvd every morning, ~21 miles would take me 45 min to 1.25 hr mostly on a 4 lane freeway!No top speeds were attained during those commutes!
I was back during the Olympics and and noticed how much the freeway system had changed. 400 now goes all the way through to meet up with I-85, Peachtree Industrial is now a freeway outside of the perimeter, hah, the perimeter has no meaning now. I suppose I would have grown with it, but it's hard to go back and see so much changed from what you've known. I do know it would be great to ride in those areas up by the Georgia/ S and N Carolina/ Tennesee borders, there are some nice roads where we could set some personal top speeds.

Redbone- you ever take m28 from m77 to Shingleton? A long time ago I went to NMU and spent a lot of time with the old speedo way to the right on that strip of road.

Car: 140 mph
Bike: 151-153 mph Started running out of road; intended to break 165 if I could.
VMax: 135 on my 2005, 135 on my 2007

Jester 42

02 vmax,pcw 1500 mtr stock speedo peged but im also running 18" wheels so not sure how accurate my speedo is. 1994 Gsxr 750 modified 162mph

Vmax 1967 what is your top speed over 2 by fours

Redbone- you ever take m28 from m77 to Shingleton? A long time ago I went to NMU and spent a lot of time with the old speedo way to the right on that strip of road.
The State Police patrol the Seney Stretch pretty good anymore so it's not so good for top speed runs. There are a few good places to run fast around here but it's not as fun as a corner laden road like:
Lakeshore Drive
M-123, Paradise to County Rd 407
County Road 58
For those that have not heard of the "Seney Stretch" here is some info:

"The portion of M-28 between Seney and Shingleton, called the Seney Stretch, is 25 miles (40 km) of "straight-as-an-arrow highway" across the Great Manistique Swamp, "though others claim it's 50 miles [80 km], only because it seems longer." The Seney Stretch is the longest such section of highway in the state, and "one of the longest stretches of curveless highway east of the Mississippi."
The road across the swamp was constructed parallel to the line of the Duluth, South Shore and Atlantic Railway (later the Soo Line Railroad). It was first numbered as a part of M-25 when that designation was used along today's M-28 east of US 41. The most significant changes made to the stretch since its original construction were the addition of passing relief lanes and a full-scale, year-round rest area in 1999."

I have been 150-155 on my Max about 8 times in the 27 years of owning my Max. On every high speed run the tach was deep into the red zone and then the oil light would come on.

I saw 145 once on my max with a venture drive, about 8900rpm on a slight downhill. Flat ground it would just stop pulling around 140. Though in reality I didn't push it that fast very often, just too squirrely. Usually I'd have to end up backing off due to wobbles.

On my Z 10,500rpm (redline) in sixth gear is 152mph with a speedohealer and +2 rear sprocket. The soft limiter kicks in and it just stops pulling.

135 on my fz1, 115 on the vtx. Never wound out the monster. Max is still too wobbly to try anything above 7500 rpm... Barely broke 80 so far.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

155-160ish I would suspect on the Vmax. Whatever 10k will get you with the 170 tire.
Can't even remember on my 92 FZR1000 but whatever it would go period. Want to say in the 170 range.
130ish I think on my old seca turbo (again all it would give)
160ish on the 95 Camaro and it had a lot more to go but the convertible top wasn't going to take much more (I could already see daylight all the way across the header bow)
100 or so in the 03 Suburban before the fuel limiter kicked in.
112 in the 92 Camaro when it's fuel cut off kicked in.
whatever 7500 rpm will get you in a 1970 Chevelle LS6 with 4 speed and 3.73 gears
145 @ 8.98 on the Suzuki Dragbike
6500 in a 67 Impala SS 427 with 3.42 gears and T-400
Can't rememeber if I pegged out the 69 GTO?
I know I haven't peggest out the 69 Bonneville but want to say in the 120mph range
7000 RPM in the 68 Camaro with the LS6 Chevelles engine in it (and 3.23 gears). Handled like ship the last few thousand RPM.
Topped out my moms 650 maxim and my dads 750 maxim but maybe only in the 120s.
85 mph on a Buell Blast and that's all it had!
80 mph on a 250 Virago and it too was struggling.
Haven't maxed out the 85 4x4 Suburban (with 383)
Haven't run the Accord all out (no real reason)
98 I think on the Saturn Vue when it limited out.
63 Biscayne I think may have hit 100 but not sure. It's a 6 cylinder with 4.10 gears and really works hard in those upper rpm's.
92 Mustang I think only hit the 130's with the supercharger and flat needed more road. Wasn't going to get much more but it had RPM's left but couldn't pull it. Needed a better gear set (was a 2.73).
38 MPH in the IMP Boat (with 327)
20 mph in an early Viper (only got to drive it around the parking lot lol).
I think I got my "K" car Chrysler to 100 but that was a long time ago and on a hill I am sure!
170's on 2004 ZX10R
Not sure on the Hayabusa's (most read waaayyyy off so even 200's isn't really that fast).
1999 Big Bore R1 probably made it into the 170's
150's on the 1029 Fazer (135 quarter mile time)
I think I got the 8042 Skytrack to mid 20's mph

22mb.jpg

b-1.jpg

125 on my vmax, but it didn't have any vboost at the time, and I haven't had a chance to try for more yet.
125 in my ratty old BMW730i. That needed a nice long flat stretch of road. :rofl_200:

*Hangs head in shame*

2.3L Ranger and 3.0V6 Ranger both 93 before the limiter kicks in
Suzuki GS750: 105 ish ( might have had more but was even scarier at speed than a Max )
I never really tried to run my FZR 600 flat out.
KLX 250: I got 93 once with a tail wind a loong road, and very tight crouch.
V-max: 135
1967 Plymouth Fury 2 door: about 20mph faster than I ever should have on unmatched crap tires.
The last B-52H off the assembly line: 420 knots true air speed. ( nowhere near it's top speed but all the faster the real pilot sitting in the Co Pilot seat would let me take it up to )

They took all the fun out of Woodward
Now out of the Seney stretch
And now Obama is destroying everything else.

I'm glad I'm old there's just no fun any more.

Well there's still the V-Max so not all is lost.

As many times as I made Very high speed runs on the Seney stretch, I never got stopped and never hit a deer and killed my self. I also had a lot of fun on the "Big Bay" run started just behind the dorms into Big Bay. That had lots of turns and I could play Rally racer.

My Brother in law keeps telling me we should write a book on all the things we used to do but can't be done today.

Latest posts

Back