how many of us have an extra engine?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckridge

Reaction score
hello all ,i just wanted to ask how many owners of the vmax has an extra engine laying around?. i for one have an extra engine from a 98 with the rod bearing starting to knock, the previous owner herd the knock and took the bike to the dealer.the service mechanic dropped the pan ,removed the big end of the rod and the bearing had no babbit material left in the bearing shell.last owner was told 2300.00 - and up depending on what else was wrong when they would open it up.the owner was blown out the door in shock at the cost of repair. he could not spend the money to fix the problem so he decided to sell the bike. i jumped on it ! took the engine apart to find out that the engine was in great shape except for the bearings. even the bore was nominal. so i have an extra engine to play with. most vmaxers are gear heads , so i ask this question how many vmax owners have an extra engine?. best to you all buckridge

Only have my stock engine in my bike. I'm not to worried about ruining it though. I put about 1500 miles on it a year... lol If that...

If I get to 45,000 miles that's 30 years... LOL I won't have it that long...

Chris

I don't count them anymore. The better question for me would be how many are runnable. What they may not have seen without taking the block apart is that the thrust surface gets damaged about 90-100% of the time when a bearing spins. This is not a replaceable bearing surface so you normally have to junk the block. Now your cost just got a lot more. We can repair this surface but normally only do it to 96 and later blocks since they are more worth saving.

I use engines like that for the 1300 conversions we do.

Sean

I have a Venture 1300 motor (I think) in my spare bike which I bought to part out. It looks like it's got stage 7 carbs (individual filters) and vboost removed.

I'm gonna try to run it before I take the bike apart - I just wanna know if it's still good or not. Should be fun, might have a go at it this weekend.

My 500.00 v-max find has netted me a few spares but no extra engine. I do have a spare set of heads now though. I'm up to around 2200 with the new clutch & master cylinder, carb kits, pistons, rings, bearings, seals (god there a lot of them spendy little buggers), gaskets, machine work, tires, speedo, flasher unit (to make the starter work), and a cheapo paint job. Only a little more to go, maybe it'll run.:scooter 1:

I have a venture 1300 motor sitting on my work bench - I bought it from a local Yamaha dealer/friend - the bike was an insurance right off - motor has less than 10,000 miles on it - future project? Will just have to wait and see.

Mike

2 engines = 99 and 03
2 cranks= 99 & 85
:bang head:

Next rod that takes a shit will pretty much end my VMAX riding days.

My original 02 motor sit's under my work bench.Still ran great when I took it out, but the dogs on 2nd & 3rd gears had worn out @ 66,000mi.Replaced it with a 2004 49 stater with low miles from Penwall Motorcycle Salvage & saved a bundle of cash$$$$$ compaired to rebuilding.:thumbs up:

My original 02 motor sit's under my work bench.Still ran great when I took it out, but the dogs on 2nd & 3rd gears had worn out @ 66,000mi.Replaced it with a 2004 49 stater with low miles from Penwall Motorcycle Salvage & saved a bundle of cash$$$$$ compaired to rebuilding.:thumbs up:

Sounds like the 88 sitting on my workbench.

Back