How to break it off with your employer

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kozy

Reaction score
How do you tell a company that you've been working with for a grand total of about 45 days that you're wanting to quit yet still leave yourself an out in case you need to come back?

I was offered a highly-desired position with another company in the field that I want to be in, and I'm most definitely taking it. But I'm not sure how I can tell the current employer that I'm leaving for a better position (I won't tell them THAT part though LOL) and still leave myself the opportunity to come back if something should happen.

This is like trying to break up with a girl after 45 days. Ugh.
I've never had to do this before! I've always not given a shit about the company I was leaving because it was never a career, only a job to get me through college. This will be a CAREER, so I've got to take it a bit more seriously.

How do you tell a company that you've been working with for a grand total of about 45 days that you're wanting to quit yet still leave yourself an out in case you need to come back?

I was offered a highly-desired position with another company in the field that I want to be in, and I'm most definitely taking it. But I'm not sure how I can tell the current employer that I'm leaving for a better position (I won't tell them THAT part though LOL) and still leave myself the opportunity to come back if something should happen.

This is like trying to break up with a girl after 45 days. Ugh.
I've never had to do this before! I've always not given a shit about the company I was leaving because it was never a career, only a job to get me through college. This will be a CAREER, so I've got to take it a bit more seriously.

Just read that 2nd line again , you have to do whats good for you . But of course you tell your boss you really love the job but i have always wanted to do this . Prob solved , it seems your heart is with the new job so you wont need a back up .

The worst case senario you get to ride more ..... :punk:

I agree with gunrunner, but to add to that.
Give them as much notice as possible to hire a replacement, that will go a long way with them as well.

Agreed! Tell them the truth and be fair....you aren't responsible for their reaction.

Same thing applies with ending relationships too, btw.

Honesty is the best policy! I am a manager for a company and have been there for 27 years. One bit of advice I can give is. Don't tell anyone where you are going, at least until your situated with your new job. Coworkers are funny some times. After seeing people come and go over the years, a cold hard fact that I've learned is... most have a hard time remembering your name after a year or two has gone by.

:punk:Kozy, tell them like you told us, they are grown- ups also. That's the business owners life. Hey, and good luck at the new job. Don't you love this Az weather? Stay Safe, Spur

I agree, just be honest, with yourself and the employer. You have your future and your happiness in the balance here so do what is right.
I have used this saying a to help with decisions over the years:
"Always do right. This will satisfy some of the people and astonish the rest." - Samuel Clemets

Just make sure your new job/career is in the bag and 100% before your give your current employer as much notice as possible. I gave San Jose Unified school districe 9 months to fine a replacement metal shop teacher----- after I left they turned it into an art/photo lab.
Good luck in you new position.

Lew

Thanks for the advice guys. The job that I'm leaving isn't something that they have to replace immediately. Since it's a collections job, there are TONS of people already there. It's not a specialty job or something that needs immediate replacement such as a metal shop teacher in high school.

I will just sit down with HR and tell them about the other opportunity. The training for this other opportunity is supposed to last 5-7 weeks, and I'm fairly confident in my ability to be able to pass through it with flying colors (just as I'm doing with this current job) but JUST IN CASE, I want to be able to have that option of coming back to this current company if I can't make it through the training class successfully.

:punk:Kozy, tell them like you told us, they are grown- ups also. That's the business owners life. Hey, and good luck at the new job. Don't you love this Az weather? Stay Safe, Spur

Oh yeah, compared to the weather back in Indiana right now, this is awesome. It's in the teens and snowing back in NWI. Out here is in the 60s during the daytime. Although my need for a house with a garage is imminent. My bike wouldn't start Friday morning thanks to the cold weather. And I have no way of leaving the tender hooked up overnight, especially since it would be sitting outside and in plain sight where anyone could steal it.

That sounds like a very reasonable approach. If it's a decent company I don't see how they could deny you this opportunity to improve yourself.

If they have issues with it, screw-um, you don't want to be there anyway.

Good Luck!
danny

Keep it very simple.

Explain that you do enjoy your current job and you appreciate the opportunity they have given you.
Continue to explain that you have been offered an opportunity in a field that you have always wanted to pursue.

Thank them again for the employment. Remain humble.
Firm hand shake.

Done.

It also helps to have 100% confirmation that you have secured your desired position.

I know this is off subject but what collections company do you work. Just ask cause I also work for a collections company and we have an office in the Phoenix area.

As far as leaving the door open. As long as you give appropriate notice and have been hitting your numbers you should remain re-hireable. I know in our office most people are welcomed back if they were a budget hitter. Some of them, even after leaving under bad terms.

I know this is off subject but what collections company do you work. Just ask cause I also work for a collections company and we have an office in the Phoenix area.

As far as leaving the door open. As long as you give appropriate notice and have been hitting your numbers you should remain re-hireable. I know in our office most people are welcomed back if they were a budget hitter. Some of them, even after leaving under bad terms.

LOL if you're in Houston, and the company you works for also has an office in Phoenix (Tempe to be specific) then I'm 110% positive we both work for the same people. How funny!

Well there are lots of collections companies these days, so you never know. I work for ER Solutions in the Quality Support. Spend my time putting together recording for clients and answering BBB and AG complaints, along with other reports for clients.

HONESTY IS THE BEST POLICY! I would shoot it straight. Tell them why... Tell them you really enjoyed your job with them and that you'd like to leave on a positive note and apologize.

Chris

Well there are lots of collections companies these days, so you never know. I work for ER Solutions in the Quality Support. Spend my time putting together recording for clients and answering BBB and AG complaints, along with other reports for clients.

Ahh I didn't realize that collections companies are a dime a dozen! I work for GTS. And I was wrong, we have an office in Ft. Worth, not Houston. I enjoy the people I'm working with, but I believe that this will be a better career move.
I'm just gonna tell HR the straight up truth the beginning of my last week.

Back