How to clean grease-crusted calipers?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elimax

Reaction score
Hi all. I hope everyone's doing okay and getting some good rides in before Mr. Winter attacks...

I was just able to purchase two VERY used front brake calipers for my '86 FZX700. The problem is, it looks like these were baked for a LONG time in a grease-filled oven. They're just completely covered in crappy old oil that's a bee-otch to remove.

So, my question...I've split the calipers and removed the pistons, but is there a chemical dip I can submerge these into to get all that crud off and make 'em look as good as new?

Thanks very much!

Elimax

A lot of guys boil or soak Carbs in Pine-Sol/Water, it might work on your calipers also.

I've used the aerosol....but it would take me about 10 cans of it to get all of the crud off! Maybe I'll try the Pine Sol/water mix.

Elimax

Remove the orings/seals and put them in fresh brake fluid while you work on the calipers. Then bead blast and paint the calipers to look as new. Reassemble while polishing up the pistons and they will work great! OR, my Hayabusa adapters also work on the Fazers! I think you can use your 280mm rotors from the Vmax with the busa adapters and be in great shape. Then the 298mm adapters with the busa calipers on the Vmax! Breaks all around!

Hi Sean:

The calipers I'm using are actually from a '95 Yamaha YZF600...they're 4 piston calipers that are sort of the pre-Blue Spot version. I actually transplanted a YZF600 front end to the Fazer...it has beefier forks, a smaller wheel, and much better brakes than the Fazer.

But, can I send you these calipers to bead-blast 'em? I've already split them, and removed the pistons and the O-rings...I'd love to have them looking good again.

Let me know! Thanks.

Aaron

No problem...I'll find out if there's a reputable source out here first...if not, I'll send 'em your way.

Aaron

Fantastik all-purpose cleaner works well too, soak in a strong solution and check for loosening of deposits, then rinse thoroughly, do not leave for prolonged periods w/o checking for effectiveness (like overnight). Works for carbs too. Soaking shoud be minutes rather than hours.

I don't know why carb soak wouldn't work, either.

Maybe a bicarbonate of soda blaster? Check-out the cheap HFT hopper gun in post #6.
http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=28195&highlight=soda+blaster

http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=21096&highlight=blaster
Another bit of info from personal experience.

Back