How to clean K/n Air filters with Recharge kit?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

medicineman843

Reaction score
Was looking under the hood and the filters are looking pretty gross. I just bought a 1986 vmax full kerker 4 to 1, K/n filters only 20,000 miles. It has been sitting for the last 3 years. It got a tune up, new oil, spark plugs, brakes, fork seals, they just didn't clean the filters. Was looking at the coolant and was looking low. What type of engine coolant would i need to get? I went and bought a K/n Recharge kit and wanted to make sure that is what i need to do to clean them. I'm guessing that i will take off the Intake cover to better get to them. Then unscrew them loose, Remove, Do as the directions say? I just wanna make sure i'm doing everything right. Very New to this bike. I have noticed that it is really has a lot of torque sometimes and sometimes not. So my main guess would be these dirty ass filters. Any help would really Help.... Thanks

It's pretty straightforward. You can use the K&N "recharge" kits, but I've always been too cheap to go buy one. I spray the filter down with Purple Power to clean/degrease it, and then rinse it with a hose. Let it dry, and re-oil it with whatever light oil I happen to have on hand. Last time it was fogging oil. Biggest pitfall is to not over-oil...as they say apply at the point of each fold and let it soak in for a bit. I do that, then remove the straw from the can and quickly mist the whole thing with oil.

Good for another year, and it never costs me anything. But if you already have the recharge kit, might as well use it. I just see it as $20 solution to a $1 problem.

As for coolant, regular green stuff is fine. Get the cheap stuff, coolant is coolant, and don't bother with 50/50 premix either. It's a clever way to sell you half as much coolant for the same price(actually usually a bit more). Buy a gallon of regular, then get two old gallon milk jugs and mix it yourself.

:punk: Hey, you need to use anti-freeze made for aluminum motors like Zerex Asian. I use only Valvoline products so that's why Zerex. Clean your filters per the instructions, not too much oil and have fun. Good Luck, Spurs

It's pretty straightforward. You can use the K&N "recharge" kits, but I've always been too cheap to go buy one. I spray the filter down with Purple Power to clean/degrease it, and then rinse it with a hose. Let it dry, and re-oil it with whatever light oil I happen to have on hand. Last time it was fogging oil. Biggest pitfall is to not over-oil...as they say apply at the point of each fold and let it soak in for a bit. I do that, then remove the straw from the can and quickly mist the whole thing with oil.

Good for another year, and it never costs me anything. But if you already have the recharge kit, might as well use it. I just see it as $20 solution to a $1 problem.
QUOTE]

I would add that after spraying with oil , let it sit for a couple of minutes , then turn 'em upside down , lets any extra oil run back down as in a re-coat with the same oil. :punk:

Isn't the "Asian" antifreeze the pink stuff that costs boceaup bucks? I guess it makes sense to use since as you said it's for aluminum motors but the vmax motor was conceived before antifreeze came in every color of the rainbow. I've also heard that many of the specialty coolants now are incompatible with regular green stuff and to avoid mixing them.

The automakers took something simple and time-proven like coolant and made it so you need a degree in chemical engineering to figure out which one you need. I know just Ford has at least three different specialty coolants now....a yellow, a light green, and a dark green. GM has several dex-cool flavors, and newer Asian cars take the pink stuff, but some also still call for regular green stuff too. Bah....talk about over-engineering....

I got my Zerex Asian for less than $10 with tax.

I used to run regular prestone in my CR5 but after my water pump seals and shaft were eaten up I decided to switch to a coolant that does not have silicates. The parts had low hrs on them but did not last very long.

My question is how good a job the shop did tuning the bike with clogged filter in there. Just saying....

Back