Hurricane Ike aftermath....

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well thanks to everyone for the good wishes. I am on the west side of Houston in the Katy area if anyone knows were that is and it sucked ass to ride that out. I got lucky and house came through it pretty good but I was scared for a while there. To think that was only a 2(very close to an actual 3) is scary as hell. Went without power for about 24 hours, funny part is I didn't even lose power until after the damn thing ended. But driving around and seeing the news alot of people got really screwed by ike. I guess for alittle while Tx will be spelled TINA.(sorry had to put it out there) I work for a software company and I am not sure when I will even get to go back to work. We have been told Home Land Security has prioritized the refineries so they get power back first. I understand how important that is, but mean time I am not working, same as alot of people in this town. If anyone is trying to get ahold of Rusty or anyone of the other guys here, Cell phones aren't working for S$&T so give it more time, try a text they seem to make it through.

I live west of Houston and missed the worst of it. However, I work on the west side (Katy) and am temporarily unemployed as our shop has no electricity. One of our buildings also lost the roof! Ike sure had a big punch for only being a Cat 2!

Good to hear you guys made it through ok although it sounds like it may be a few days beforre you can go back to work. The reports on tv make it look worse that a cat2 for sure.
Hope you get back up and running soon.

Hey all, just received a message from Rusty McNeil. He's okay!

Hey all,

I made it thought the Hurricane OK, eye went right over me. No major damage, just fences trees, shingles etc???.

No power since Friday at 6pm, runnning on backup generator (ice box, fridge and window unit) at work for first time today so sending out an email while I can, let everyone on the forum know OK?

Thanks,

Rusty McNeil
713-542-6169

Hey good news so far - sounds like everybody on forum is ok - physically anyways - hope life gets back to normal soon for you guys

Mike

Hey all, Breaking the rules at work and getting on a forum.

Still no power but they're in my area now fixing stuff, hundreds of line crews and tree crews all over the place.

I love my 'effin chinese generator and chinese window unit I bought off the side of the road out of a truck from Mississippi...I'm gonna give'em a shrine after this is over if they live through the week.....

Gonna buy a real (and bigger) generator before next hurricane season tho' and use this one as standby or loan it out...

The storm was a MF, never been through one like this, it went on four about 24hrs; building gradually from a gentle breeze to the full 100mph continual blasts we got over about 8 hours, then the eye hit and it was freakily quite, with everyone outside at 4am checking out the damage, then back inside for the second half which kicked up very quickly to 90mph or so and then died down over several more hours....

All my family, dogs and toys and home survived fine, my brand new roof came through good, the fence of course is history and the trees look like wet rats but I had thinned them out pretty well in preparation for the storm so nothing major hit the house,.........

It's truly amazing how much shit can just fill a place up,

My nieghborhood (and the whole city of houston I think) looked like a Garden ridge store and a landfill had a head collision at 200mph.....

The most amazing part to me was that after two days the place looks like nothing ever happened, except for missing fences and trees and a few blue tarps and stuff, the winds hadn't even died down before the chainsaws and trash bags came out, then the mowers etc,...No one whined or waited for "the gov't" to come clean their shit up, they did it themselves and helped the nieghbors also,...

I've never seen nieghbors come together like this, it's very inspiring........

Later all..

Rusty

Later all,,.....

Hey all, Breaking the rules at work and getting on a forum.

Still no power but they're in my area now fixing stuff, hundreds of line crews and tree crews all over the place.

I love my 'effin chinese generator and chinese window unit I bought off the side of the road out of a truck from Mississippi...I'm gonna give'em a shrine after this is over if they live through the week.....

Gonna buy a real (and bigger) generator before next hurricane season tho' and use this one as standby or loan it out...

The storm was a MF, never been through one like this, it went on four about 24hrs; building gradually from a gentle breeze to the full 100mph continual blasts we got over about 8 hours, then the eye hit and it was freakily quite, with everyone outside at 4am checking out the damage, then back inside for the second half which kicked up very quickly to 90mph or so and then died down over several more hours....

All my family, dogs and toys and home survived fine, my brand new roof came through good, the fence of course is history and the trees look like wet rats but I had thinned them out pretty well in preparation for the storm so nothing major hit the house,.........

It's truly amazing how much shit can just fill a place up,

My nieghborhood (and the whole city of houston I think) looked like a Garden ridge store and a landfill had a head collision at 200mph.....

The most amazing part to me was that after two days the place looks like nothing ever happened, except for missing fences and trees and a few blue tarps and stuff, the winds hadn't even died down before the chainsaws and trash bags came out, then the mowers etc,...No one whined or waited for "the gov't" to come clean their shit up, they did it themselves and helped the nieghbors also,...

I've never seen nieghbors come together like this, it's very inspiring........

Later all..

Rusty

Later all,,.....
Great news Rusty! Glad you and your family made it through ok.

You guys are perfect examples of: "Those who can-do, Those who can't do-whine to the govm't. for help!!"

I never knew for sure where Baytown was until I saw it on a report about Ike. Man Rusty I bet that was a ride! Glad you, your family, and neighbors are ok.
I went to S. Florida after Andrew blew through there and man was that a mess. Whole homes gone down to the foundations and the home next to it with just minor cosmetic damage. I worked on reroofing homes for a month before I had to leave. It was so hot that we couldn't roof in the afternoon and even in the late morning it felt like I was standing on glowing coals of a fire.
Anyways, glad to hear you guys are in good shape!

So good to hear Rusty, and all are doing ok up there... me n' Aunt Phloozie have been through a 'few' of these over the years, and they can be genuine MF'ers.. We here in the Tampa Bay Area haven't seen a really bad one in a long time. And it's not a matter of 'if' but 'when' we'll see another.

The way y'all are dealing with it, says a lot about the character of Texicans... Y'all got a lot to be proud of!

Blessings and good thoughts coming your way...

Uncle Philthy

Hope this'll bring a smile...

Hurricane Survival Kit

Toilet Paper................................. check

Bud Light..................................... check

Keystone Ice............................... check

Budweiser.................................... check

Red Dog....................................... check

Misc. Other bottles of alcohol....... check

Sheet of Styrofoam to float your old lady

and booze on................................check

Attachments

• survivin'.jpg
    survivin'.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 12

Hey Rusty, Here's a pic of my "Hong Kong power" supplier. It's just a cheap one, less than $900 but it's got a Honda clone engine w/electric start. Runs the whole house including one window unit a/c. Being in the woods, we lose power quite often and this thing does the trick. FWIW :biglaugh:

Attachments

• Hong Kong power.jpg
    Hong Kong power.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 9
Back