I bought a wrecker

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. Pickles

Reaction score
I bought a 2001 VFR800 in dire need of lovin'.

It was dumped on both sides, clutch issues, the home depot fastener mod, and no documented services other than the oil had been changed a few times.

I've replaced the right side fairing (ebay!) the tail light, and buffed out the remaining plastics. it was a matte red when I got it. I've also replaced the ghetto windscreen with a stock one ($5 on ebay!) and have done a drain/flush on coolant, new oil/filter, 4 plugs, valve check (one was .001 tight so I left it) throttle body sync, replaced the terrible BMC filter with a stock paper element, and cleaned the chain and replaced the brake fluid and clutch fluid. The clutch is much better but I suspect a bad plunger. I can ride it fine but my engagement point seems to go from half lever to 1/4 lever. It's fine in normal riding but shows itself in traffic.

Future upgrades will be revalved/resprung forks, a aftermarket shock of some sort..they all seem to be about $1000...ouch! and I will replace the upper and left side fairing if ebay allows.
I also replaced all of the hardware with the correct hardware.

4934960784_c9b2a11b5c_b.jpg

I am replacing the highmount with an Akrapovic standard mount. I'm not a fan of the highmount. I think it messes with the bikes line.

BEST STREET BIKE EVAR. This is my fourth VFR. (1gen 3, 1 gen 4, and 2 gen 5s) I had a gen 6 (Vtec) for 5 months while my buddy was traveling and it wasn't the bike I'd hoped it was. Rode nicely but the Vtec ruined it. Also felt 20hp down on the gen 5.

Gotta love your V4's....a gen 1 honda V4 was what got me hooked on it...my '85 Magna V30. For a 500, it was a little screamer and would hand an 1100 V-twin it's ass. But I got bored with it after a year or so, sold it, and got the "King" of v-4's...my vmax.

Sweet motor though....smooth smooth smooth. Zero vibration EVAR, and the 12,000 RPM redline was pretty fun.

I had a beautiful '84 Magna V30, Black, that the PO had every Hondaline accessary made, on it. I loved that bike. I put 37,000 HARD miles on it. It was in my barn when we had a massive amoumt of snowfall (for here, anyway) and the barn collapsed on top of it. :Sad:

I wish I had another just like it.

Back