I can't understand what the hell is wrong

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EAGLEPI

Reaction score
OK I just installed 4 new plugs and gapped they all the exact same. I put my mufflers back on the outside, ( my new ones should be here Mon or Tues ) I just wanted to see if it was the plugs. I can start it when I choke it it will stay running and it seems to run fast rpms then go back down and stay, when I adjust the idle screw it seems that nothing happens until I get it almost all the way to the right toward the back of the bike then it stalls.

It will idle fast on choke but as soon as I turn choke off or turn throttle it just cuts out and stalls out.

I sprayed carb cleaner all around the carb boots and nothing happens at all

Does anyone have any ideas????

Shotgun?

CAN YOU KEEP IT RUNNING WITH THE THROTTLE & THE CHOKE OFF ? ... AND IF SO , RUN IT UNTIL ITS WARM & THE FAN COMES ON KEEP IT AT 1,500 RPM'S , AND THEN TURN THE IDLE SCREW IN , CLOCK-WISE , UNTIL IT STARTS RAISING UP THE RPM'S , THEN LET GO OF THE THROTTLE AND START LOWERING THE IDLE , TURNING THE SCREW COUNTER CLOCK-WISE & SEE WHAT HAPPENS ! ... :confused2:... LET US KNOW !

With choke off or on if I touch throttle it cuts out, I have it apart now and going to do the shotgun. wish me luck

hope it works and you are back to running strong!!! Also hope you tell us how easy the shotgun was so us that fear to touch the carbs will have the confidence to do ours in the future lol

I still think its the pilot fuel jets which the shotgun won't get to..gotta disassemble jet blocks..maybe someone can do a video of this?

Hi All,

Well I did the shotgun and am in halftime. I followed the instructions to a "T" and everything went fine except, for the life of me I could not feel the mixture screws and didn't know if I had it or not. I would turn and count but it would seem to get snug but then start to turn again. I totally screwed this part up and I am going to have to HOPE someone can give me a starting point,

Sean You don't keep notes on your carb rebuilds do you.........lol

My fear is I won't be able to feel the screws when putting them back in. When I got the screws out I tried the screwdriver I was using and it fit good but when you are in the hole it feels so different.

So now I need someone to tell me how many turns out to start with so a start, then Please tell me how I adjust each one to get it right.

Once I get everything back together can I start it without airbox until I get it running or idleing right ??

I need to clean the screws now and put things back together what is the best way to clean the screws???

Do you guys spray the diaphragms with WD 40 and if so what do you use to wipe them down. Mine are new and they looked good so I think I won't use the WD 40.

Any tips will be appreciated, I'll stay here for a while before I go up and try and put things back together.

wish me luck

Ron

I still think its the pilot fuel jets which the shotgun won't get to..gotta disassemble jet blocks..maybe someone can do a video of this?

Care to expand and tell me why you think that and ??

Hi All,

Well I did the shotgun and am in halftime. I followed the instructions to a "T" and everything went fine except, for the life of me I could not feel the mixture screws and didn't know if I had it or not. I would turn and count but it would seem to get snug but then start to turn again. I totally screwed this part up and I am going to have to HOPE someone can give me a starting point,

Sean You don't keep notes on your carb rebuilds do you.........lol

My fear is I won't be able to feel the screws when putting them back in. When I got the screws out I tried the screwdriver I was using and it fit good but when you are in the hole it feels so different.

So now I need someone to tell me how many turns out to start with so a start, then Please tell me how I adjust each one to get it right.

Once I get everything back together can I start it without airbox until I get it running or idleing right ??

I need to clean the screws now and put things back together what is the best way to clean the screws???

Do you guys spray the diaphragms with WD 40 and if so what do you use to wipe them down. Mine are new and they looked good so I think I won't use the WD 40.

Any tips will be appreciated, I'll stay here for a while before I go up and try and put things back together.

wish me luck

Ron

There is no "right or wrong" number of turns out as it will vary between bikes. Most, however, use 2 1/2 turns out as a base line.

what is the best way to clean the screws???

Once I am adjusting the screws how do I know when each one is right?

Thanks
Ron

I use steel wool to clean crews and bolts just be sure and blow off so u aint putting foreign material back into carb. doesnt take much rubbin and they shine back up. other than that I just use brakeclean

what is the best way to clean the screws???

Once I am adjusting the screws how do I know when each one is right?

Thanks
Ron

Put the airbox on when you are setting it up. As you turn the screw, you will hear how it affects the idle. When it starts to stumble, back it out a bit and move to the next carb. You should also sync the carbs too.

I've got everything back together up to the airbox, scoops and tank staying off until it is running.

Here is the situation,

Garrett was nice enough to talk to me on the phone a couple of times to help me but nothing I do will make the bike run unless the choke is on.

It starts right up with the choke and the more choke the more rpms, the less choke the less rpms. I was trying to turn the idle screw to raise the rpms and close the choke but the idle screw is acting very werid, when I turn it one way it starts to raise the rpms but then they go down, I turn it the other way and it does the same thing.

I can't get it to run without choke. while it was running and the choke was on I tried turning the 2 left side mixture screws and there was no change whatsoever no matter how far I turned them in either direction.

I am lost!! does anyone have any suggestions? I need them

Ron

Ron, Have you had it running good since having the carbs cleaned/rebuilt by Morley?

If not, I have a feeling your throttle cables may be screwed up....refer to the appropriate section in the Haynes manual to see how to check/adjust throttle cables. I had a similar problem to this with my '06, it took me quite a bit of screwing around but finally got everything dialed in.

A/F screw setting with Mark's Performance pipes....3 1/4 turns out from stop. Set them there and leave them alone, they are not causing your issues.

One more thing, does the throttle act normal or after it springs back can you twist it backward some? That may be another indication that the cables are out of whack.

I am having computer issues and will check in as it allows.

Good luck.

Ron, Have you had it running good since having the carbs cleaned/rebuilt by Morley?

If not, I have a feeling your throttle cables may be screwed up....refer to the appropriate section in the Haynes manual to see how to check/adjust throttle cables. I had a similar problem to this with my '06, it took me quite a bit of screwing around but finally got everything dialed in.

A/F screw setting with Mark's Performance pipes....3 1/4 turns out from stop. Set them there and leave them alone, they are not causing your issues.

One more thing, does the throttle act normal or after it springs back can you twist it backward some? That may be another indication that the cables are out of whack.

I am having computer issues and will check in as it allows.

Good luck.

I know it isn't the cables. When Sean rebuilt the carbs I installed them and ran it for about 2 weeks and it ran perfect with Marks exhaust on. MY problems started when I got it out of storage. I changed the plugs and emptied the gas and put new gas with seafoam and ran it 65 miles. It would run fine once I got going but from a start it would want to stall so I had to rev the motor to get going and then once I was going it would go like normal though all the gears until I was slowing down in the low gear and coming to a stop then it wants to stall.

Today I tried to start it after a week of sitting and it wouldn't stay started so I decided to do the shotgun, everything went fine but now is it running like I described above. I can't get it to idle without the choke.

could be that the floats got gummed up from the old gas while in storage probably not letting enough gas in the bowl to run on normal vacum, when you put the choke on it's able to suck enough gas to keep it runing. try to shoot seafoam into the vent tubes, and in the and through the breather hoses, you ma also remove the sliders and shoot seafoam through the main jet where the needle goes in. Good Luck!!! if that don't work time to take off the carb set and do another cleaning.

heres a thought, altho don't try it w/out some other opinions weighing.

put the a/f screws @ 3 1/4 as danny said.

then put as little choke on is possible and warm her up...

then go out and ride her really really hard. maybe somethings clogged somewhere. and that will blow it out...

its quicker than tearing into the whole carb rack.

how little of choke will keep her running? if u turn of choke does she die instantly?

what if choke is on and u open the throttle a tiny bit, then turn the choke off keeping the throttle open a tiny bit, does that make a difference?

The minute I hit the throttle even with choke on it dies.. I think it's time to take them off and either send them into Sean if he has time or have someone help me with them?????

Unless someone has a easier way

Latest posts

Back