I can't understand what the hell is wrong

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know it isn't the cables. When Sean rebuilt the carbs I installed them and ran it for about 2 weeks and it ran perfect with Marks exhaust on. MY problems started when I got it out of storage. I changed the plugs and emptied the gas and put new gas with seafoam and ran it 65 miles. It would run fine once I got going but from a start it would want to stall so I had to rev the motor to get going and then once I was going it would go like normal though all the gears until I was slowing down in the low gear and coming to a stop then it wants to stall.

Today I tried to start it after a week of sitting and it wouldn't stay started so I decided to do the shotgun, everything went fine but now is it running like I described above. I can't get it to idle without the choke.

Yup, not the cables!! Sounds directly related to the storage. CopRunner had bad running issues with his, poured a bunch of seafoam in and ran it as Garrett described...that was a year ago and it's been running great ever since.

Maybe pour some seafoam in, or BG44K, Techron...whatever you like the best...let it run at idle long enough to circulate throughout the fuel system, then let it sit overnight. Try the same thing tomorrow, hopefully, after a few sessions like that, it'll start to clear up and you can get it to run without the choke.

Yup, not the cables!! Sounds directly related to the storage. CopRunner had bad running issues with his, poured a bunch of seafoam in and ran it as Garrett described...that was a year ago and it's been running great ever since.

Maybe pour some seafoam in, or BG44K, Techron...whatever you like the best...let it run at idle long enough to circulate throughout the fuel system, then let it sit overnight. Try the same thing tomorrow, hopefully, after a few sessions like that, it'll start to clear up and you can get it to run without the choke.

OK, Keep in mind I only know enough to get myself in trouble so when you guys offer suggestions I would appreciate if you can be as detailed as possible. Pour Seafoam in ok I got some more today but where do I pour it and how much?

Are you talking about pouring it into my gas tank and then run it with the choke on a few times? There is the peashooter, I have an idea what that is but really don't know how to do it how much to use and where to put it.

I would really appreciate if you guys can give me suggestions but once again please be detailed, don't assume I know anything.....lol cause I am learning everything I am doing as I go.

Pictures with arrows help a lot......lol
Thanks
Ron

heres a thought, altho don't try it w/out some other opinions weighing.

put the a/f screws @ 3 1/4 as danny said.

then put as little choke on is possible and warm her up...

then go out and ride her really really hard. maybe somethings clogged somewhere. and that will blow it out...

its quicker than tearing into the whole carb rack.

how little of choke will keep her running? if u turn of choke does she die instantly?

what if choke is on and u open the throttle a tiny bit, then turn the choke off keeping the throttle open a tiny bit, does that make a difference?

Garrett,

It's running so bad I don't trust going anywhere with it. I could turn the screws all the way in and then go out 3 1/4 out tomorrow and see how it goes. I am so damn beat mentally right now. I'm sure many of you have been here.

I will listen to everyone tonight and then tomorrow try again. I have shoulder surgery June 10th so I would like to get it running before then..I don't want to be down for 8 weeks and then have to deal with this then.

If I get to the point where I have to take the carbs off and check the floats and the jet block ( whatever that is ) do I have to take the carbs apart, I mean disconnect the 4 or can I just access the bottoms while they are all linked together? that might be a good idea if this stuff doesn't work tomorrow.

I'm hoping like hell Sean chimes in......Not that I don't appreciate all you guys helping and I do trust you but the more the better and Sean knows these carbs he rebuilt them.. Although this is nothing related to anything he did because the bike ran perfect after he rebuilt them. the damn winter did it. I had Seafoam in the gas and I would go every 2 weeks and turn the key to fill the bowls so that nothing would dry out.

This next winter I am doing it different... I have had 2 other VMAX'S here in Mnnesota and kept them in the un heated garage and never touched the bike all winter and I never had any problems.. this is so damn frustratiing

Thanks again guys

Ron

Garrett,

I had Seafoam in the gas and I would go every 2 weeks and turn the key to fill the bowls so that nothing would dry out.

Ron

Ron Iv heard not to use seafoam for storage. Not sure why. Stabil for winter storage.

Have you been running seafoam before storage? Or only the tank during the winter?

Don't have to completely separate all 4 carbs to get to the jet blocks but when I did mine i had to remove brackets on the side. I could'nt completely remove the top bracket because one of the screw heads stripped..but I had enough room to turn the carbs moderately..you just need enough room to get those back covers off and remove the blocks.

Any throttle off idle to about 1/8 throttle is mainly the pilot circuit. If the pilot fuel jet is clogged your not getting any fuel delivery in this range which is the symptoms your seeing. Keep in mind the carb sync is also important.

It should run with the A/F screws out!
Maybe you have an air leak somewhere.
Did you accidentally screw in one of the carb sync screws and have a butterfly cracked open wider than the others? Should be able to see this from the top down with the air box off.
Just trying to eliminate the obvious, my bet is its something simple and I feel your frustration.

OK here is a update,

I was sitting here and I couldn't take it so I went up stairs and out to the garage and I turned all the screws in all the way and then out 3 /14 out. I kept it on choke and then after turning the screws out 3 1/4 turns I was able to use the throttle so after it warmed up I was able to turn off the choke and idle on it's own.

I took it out for a short ride and it still skips and pops and runs rough when I am in 1st gear and giving it gas but it didn't stall. I did have to rev it a few times and when I got on it it ran good, or much better.

Tomorrow I will mess with it again. Oh this time when I turned the mixture screws back and forth I could make the engine almost stall so it was reacting to the mixture screws. In the morning I think I will sync the carbs then play with it a bit more and then get my helmet on and go for a longer and harder ride.

But I at least got it back to where it is running so I feel much better.

Ron

It should run with the A/F screws out!
Maybe you have an air leak somewhere.
Did you accidentally screw in one of the carb sync screws and have a butterfly cracked open wider than the others? Should be able to see this from the top down with the air box off.
Just trying to eliminate the obvious, my bet is its something simple and I feel your frustration.

No when I had the air box off all the butterflies were closed all the way, I didn't move the throttle and see what they did. But I just updated and it's looking better...

Also no air leaks I tested everywhere with carb cleaner and it was tight.

Ron Iv heard not to use seafoam for storage. Not sure why. Stabil for winter storage.

Have you been running seafoam before storage? Or only the tank during the winter?

No I never used Seafoam until I put it in storage. I asked on this forum what I should use and I was told to put some Seafoam in while in stoage..

:bang head::confused2:

a lot of guys use it without problem. i use stabil. anywho. sounds like you have some positive direction. i'd ride her hard tomorrow (thats what timmy said) once shes warmed up and then see where u are at.

Ron while I cant give you any advice on carbs,I can feel for ya.washed my max today, let it sit ,went to take a ride ................. wont start.............injectors not workin.........not alot of pepole around gonna help with that one.I think I may have gotten water in the tps,Im gonna call bill in the morn and see if he can send me another one.if not its back to the drawing board,any ideas?

Everything you described sounds similar to my problems except when I do the shotgun it runs good for 3-4 rides then goes back to running rough and popping. I still think its something clogging the pilot circuits. I am going to have Fargo clean my carbs and hopefully finally cure my problem. Looks clean when draining the fuel. I am the second onwer of my 95 Vmax. Maybe previous owner didn't store it right and varnish built up inside the carbs. :ummm:

Wish I could help with this one, but all I can add is that Fargo cleaned my carbs and she''s running like a champ right now. I would do like others said and synch the carbs then ride her hard (go through a full tank), then fiddle with the mixture screws. I put on a full HMF system over the winter and had them set initially at 2 1/4 turns. Kept a small screwdriver with me and I've been backing them out a 1/4 turn at a time until I got her set tonight with no popping or backfiring. I think they are at 3 1/4 turns out now. Good luck Buddy

Thanks.... Well I hear alot about this Fargo, sorry I don't know who that is but I sure the hell wish he lived in Fargo where I do :rofl_200::rofl_200:

Don't have to completely separate all 4 carbs to get to the jet blocks but when I did mine i had to remove brackets on the side. I could'nt completely remove the top bracket because one of the screw heads stripped..but I had enough room to turn the carbs moderately..you just need enough room to get those back covers off and remove the blocks.

Any throttle off idle to about 1/8 throttle is mainly the pilot circuit. If the pilot fuel jet is clogged your not getting any fuel delivery in this range which is the symptoms your seeing. Keep in mind the carb sync is also important.

+1 to this. Sync the carbs first but I suspect a pilot jet issue which you usually can't clear up with the shotgun or peashooter method, you have to take the carbs apart.

+1 to this. Sync the carbs first but I suspect a pilot jet issue which you usually can't clear up with the shotgun or peashooter method, you have to take the carbs apart.

Is there a how to anywhere on the forum for that?

not really aside from naughtyG's completely disassemble and re-assemble walk thru in the carb section. theres 6 different threads i believe.

I KNOW THAT i HAD A SIMULAR PROBLEM A WHILE BACK AND THE CARBS WERE SO FAR OUT OF SYNC THAT HAD THEIR OWN ZIP CODE !.
BUT I BORROWED FARGO`S (Raging Main)SYNC TOOL AND THEY CAME RIGHT BACK, BUT I COULDN`T FIGURE OUT HOW THEY GOT THAT FAR OUT IN THE FIRST PLACE.
<<DAVE>>:punk:

Back