I have to wonder,,,

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
'Back in the day' I built and rode Triumph choppers...when the Max surfaced in '85 I would have sacrificed a nut to get one.....but alas, the local Yamaha dealer wasn't interested in a nut so I had to get the 'little brother' an '85 XJ700X 5-Valve.

Then in the early '90's an '85 VMax showed up at the dealers that I could afford, they put a plate on it and I took it out for a ride. The choppers were cool & all but I'm piloting the mighty VMax now, my knees were shaking, I really didn't know quite what to expect. A few miles later I began to realize the bike wasn't gonna attack me or anything and started to relax a bit.

Then I thought, "wonder how this V Boost thing works"....so down to 3rd I go and whacked it WOT. Man, she took off, I'm thinking this baby has really got it.....5000, 5500, 6000, then right about 6200 everything changed!!...my cheeks ended up back by my ears and I'm holding on for dear life! I shifted to 4th and rolled back on the throttle thinking....'this fuckin' thing is scary!!'

But a couple miles later I found I wanted....nay....NEEDED that rush again so back to 3rd we go........the rest is history and everyone reading this knows exactly what I'm talking about.

I was hooked! :punk:

I have had many bikes over the years mostly nortons&trumps then i picked up a 650 special in 80 sold it 84 than saw the dealer had viragos for 1795. went looked at then and saw the VMax for the first time had to have it at 4800 it was a little steep but i talked my wife into it saying this is probley the last bike for me still have it i also have a 2010 and anew wife

Got a new wife a few years after I bought the Max in '85. Still doing great with both! Ex passed away in '93. She remarried, and wound up getting a brain tumor..

In '88 I bought from a friend an '87 FZR1000 he bought new. At the time, the Kawi & Yamaha open-class literbikes had pretty-similar performance, w/the Honda a bit behind. I rode that into 1993, and decided that I wanted something a bit more-comfortable for around town and commuting. I began looking at what I could find for sale locally, principally looking for slightly-used examples where someone else had taken the brunt of MSRP and now was looking to get onto something-else. I wasn't locked-into a cruiser style, if I found a good deal on another sportbike, I would have bought it, and gritted my teeth over the rididng position, or perhaps done the 'Heli-bar' extensions, and whatever-else I could to make it more-comfortable. Long trips has never been a consideration for me. I just don't do those. So, realistically, a couple of hours at a time in the saddle is more like-it. Then there is the return trip, so 5-6 hrs. a day of saddle time is about all I commit to.

Since I had been buying/subscribing to all the bike mags apart from the chopper ilk, I already knew what was on the market. Living in a part of the country where there is a lot of disposable income, and being a major international port, south Florida has a lot of people buying expensive toys who then decide to try something-else. I looked at a Ducati 851 w/really-low miles owned by a co-worker's neighbor, the guy owned the Ft. Lauderdale Ferrari dealership. It had <3K mi but was $11K.

I also looked at a Moto Guzzi Daytona 1000 which needed some bodywork after a low-side accident, it was owned by the Ducati dealer in Ft. Lauderdale FL. It would have ended-up costing me about $8K after replacing everything & re-painting. It had a neat appearance, the milled swingarm pivot/frame-pieces & design from the race winner Dr. John Wittner designed & developed.

I also looked at a BMW K1, the first production BMW capable of 150 mph, w/a futuristic design unlike anything on the market. Low miles, but also $8K. I do have a poster of one I got in Rome, an advertisement for an Italian motorcycle magazine, die-cut & printed on heavy cardboard stock. I framed it, very cool!

Then I went to the Ft. Lauderdale Yamaha dealership where my friend was a salesman, and bought a year-old VMax w/1700 mi. on it. Still have it, and the FZR1000 too. Twenty-two years (longer than the Ford Model T!) of production, and a reputation to match. You have to love a bike w/that kind of power and lasting power. I do!

2008 - Sault Michigan - black Vmax - I believe that may have been me!

I rode up one of the main streets of downtown Sault Michigan and a red Vmax went by me, I turned around at the first opportunity, but could not find the red Vmax again. I was riding through heading to Flint, Michigan for an overnight stay. I rode back through the next day heading back into Canada.

Mike
I was probably riding the loop, down the main drag to the street that runs along the locks and back outta town the back way. I don't know how I missed another Vmax and I recall you mentioning something about this on the forum or in chat. Too bad we couldn't have met up that day, we'll have to take turns riding to each others cities for the day this next summer.:punk:
But the black Vmax that I say was not in the Soo, it was in Brimley, near where I work and I was outside taking a smoke break (back when I did smoke:bang head:). I could hear it coming down Lakeshore drive, much the same way my friends say they know when I'm riding in the area, so I was able to get close enough to the road to see it cruise by.

Then in the early '90's an '85 VMax showed up at the dealers that I could afford, they put a plate on it and I took it out for a ride. The choppers were cool & all but I'm piloting the mighty VMax now, my knees were shaking, I really didn't know quite what to expect. A few miles later I began to realize the bike wasn't gonna attack me or anything and started to relax a bit.

Then I thought, "wonder how this V Boost thing works"....so down to 3rd I go and whacked it WOT. Man, she took off, I'm thinking this baby has really got it.....5000, 5500, 6000, then right about 6200 everything changed!!...my cheeks ended up back by my ears and I'm holding on for dear life! I shifted to 4th and rolled back on the throttle thinking....'this fuckin' thing is scary!!'

But a couple miles later I found I wanted....nay....NEEDED that rush again so back to 3rd we go........the rest is history and everyone reading this knows exactly what I'm talking about.

I was hooked! :punk:
I know what you mean BD, in the beginning the Vboost is such a rush! My first real vboost rush happened a week or two after buying it when traveling on a rural road and turning onto a state hwy in front a car that I misjudged how fast he was going and when I looked back as I shifted into second gear he was gaining on me fast so I hit the throttle shifted to third and went WOT and BAM the vboost hit with a vengence, I thought HOLY SHIT can I hang on! But I did hang on and when I hit 4th I was running past the century mark I looked back and that car was about a 1/2 mile behind me now so I slowed her back down near the speed limit with a mile wide smile and adrenaline pumping! Yep, I had the vmax face that day for sure!:punk::punk::punk:

I was probably riding the loop, down the main drag to the street that runs along the locks and back outta town the back way. I don't know how I missed another Vmax and I recall you mentioning something about this on the forum or in chat. Too bad we couldn't have met up that day, we'll have to take turns riding to each others cities for the day this next summer.:punk:
But the black Vmax that I say was not in the Soo, it was in Brimley, near where I work and I was outside taking a smoke break (back when I did smoke:bang head:). I could hear it coming down Lakeshore drive, much the same way my friends say they know when I'm riding in the area, so I was able to get close enough to the road to see it cruise by.

I know what you mean BD, in the beginning the Vboost is such a rush! My first real vboost rush happened a week or two after buying it when traveling on a rural road and turning onto a state hwy in front a car that I misjudged how fast he was going and when I looked back as I shifted into second gear he was gaining on me fast so I hit the throttle shifted to third and went WOT and BAM the vboost hit with a vengence, I thought HOLY SHIT can I hang on! But I did hang on and when I hit 4th I was running past the century mark I looked back and that car was about a 1/2 mile behind me now so I slowed her back down near the speed limit with a mile wide smile and adrenaline pumping! Yep, I had the vmax face that day for sure!:punk::punk::punk:

We definitely need to get some riding in together this coming summer.

The sound!

Isn't that one of the main reasons we love our Maxes.

During my Maxless years I would stay at a Holiday Inn off the highway near the Space Needle in Seattle, and every morning I heard a Max with a pipe go right by the hotel and then get on the highway to the North and accelerate. I found myself getting up earlier so I could get a glimse, but I never did see the bike, yet I knew it was a V-Max.

Was into bikes, out of bikes, off & on, starting with my first bike (Triumph), in 1963. Went thru a string of different bikes; the model I rode was usually based on what I could afford at the time.

Divorce, college, cars, chasing women, tours overseas in Army, etc. made me turn loose of bikes at different times, but bikes were always in the back of my mind.

Finally worked myself into a position where I could have any bike I wanted. Knew about the VMax for years; decided I'd "go for it".
Found my first one; a 2005 in pristine condition in 2009.
Found my second one; a 2007 in pristine condition in 2010.
Still have & ride both......one at a time.

I love the instant power, and I love riding a bike that most bikers don't, won't, or can't, for whatever reason..........
I'm not antisocial, I just like to do what I want to do, when I want to do it.
So I pretty much lone wolf it most of the time; mostly 100 to 150 mile "air out my head" rides.

jester 42

Attachments

• Red  2005  VMax      Black  2007  VMax.jpg
    Red 2005 VMax Black 2007 VMax.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 21
I tarted out on a Honda 750 interceptor Then I got a gsxr 1100 (93) then and eliminator 900. A zx9 ninja then a 1997 Vmax silver with super traps. I fell in love. Had to sell her cause I was buying a new house. My wife told me not to do it but I did it anyway. Then a few more rice rockets. Then my last sport bike was a 2002 Yamaha R1. It was awesome but I was driving like an animal. Then I went 1 season without a bike. Told my wife I wanted another Vmax and she said just go get one. With in 24 hours I had a brand new 06 Vmax in my garage. She always liked my 97. Now I will have this bike forever. I'd like to get a gen2 down the road. Way down the road but after you own a Vmax it's tough to go to another bike IMHO. The only thing I don't like about my bike is the carbs. Wish they were fuel injected. Now I have radial braced and notched swing arm. And a frame brace and fork brace. So handling is not a problem anymore.
I also like the brotherhood (cult) that comes with owning one. And I am kinda glad they are not all over the place. Makes owning one more meaningful.

"Found my first one; a 2005 in pristine condition in 2009.
Found my second one; a 2007 in pristine condition in 2010.
Still have & ride both......one at a time."

jester 42[/QUOTE]

Man I would love to have just one of those unmolested beauties, I have my stage 7 Max but now I dream of an all stock mint VMax because I love the look of those oem mufflers, color me silly, that goes against most here, must be my age.

To think the Max first came out in 85, and it still puts to shame the Harleys, and I am only talking the Gen 1's here too!

My 05 has been like a dream machine, keep the front end tight and all is great.

Only a very few years left in my riding, but the memory of 05 Max will always bring a smile to my face.

O

I like the various comments about the Sound having an emotional impact.

I think its pretty cool that there is no other bike out there that sounds so distinctively identifiable.

How many time has one if us heard what we were sure was a Vmax coming and been wrong?

I like the various comments about the Sound having an emotional impact.

I think its pretty cool that there is no other bike out there that sounds so distinctively identifiable.

How many time has one if us heard what we were sure was a Vmax coming and been wrong?

Ive been wrong once or twice and it was a hot rod chevy that came down the RD.

I never see them on the road in Fl. I was looking @ one in '96 when I started re-getting a mcycle license. I knew it was too much for a beginner. I went from xt enduro to seca to rf900 & Vic,keeping the Vic & RF ,,,,and thought about a vmax again after talking to a guy that bought a bicycle from me,,,,,the seed was sown,,,,,lol...

To 99Max:

My 2005 had about 2,700 miles on it when I found it; stored away, under cover, in a clean/dry garage. The owner hurt his back, and couldn't ride bikes anymore. Owner sold it on ebay; buyer bailed out. I showed up with cash. Bike was less than 15 miles from me. I'd never seen it; hadn't been ridden for over a year.

My 2007 had less than 4,000 miles on it when I found it; stored away, in a clean/dry basement. Owner had only used it on short hops in nice weather, back & forth(10 miles one way) to work. He was selling his "toys" to build a new house for growing family. I was the only person that even took the time to show up & look at the bike. Everyone else tried low balling him over the phone.

Have considered possibility of buying a new Kawasaki Concours in the Spring & turning one of the Maxes loose, but gonna be hard to pull that trigger.
I catch a lot of flak from friends for having 2 of the same bike; I just laugh. :rofl_200:

Jester 42

Attachments

• 2005  20th Anniversary Edition Yamaha VMax.jpg
    2005 20th Anniversary Edition Yamaha VMax.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 07 VMax  1198 cc  V-4  145 hp.jpg
    07 VMax 1198 cc V-4 145 hp.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 2005 V Max with drag bars.jpg
    2005 V Max with drag bars.jpg
    331.4 KB · Views: 17
  • New mirrors on 07 VMax.jpg
    New mirrors on 07 VMax.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 17
One of my best friends has 3 Maxes. 95, 97 and 02.... :clapping:

"I catch a lot of flak from friends for having 2 of the same bike; I just laugh." Thats two beautiful Max's and it's pretty cool that you have two bikes no longer made, unmolested and in perfect condition, Well done.

I'd buy the concourse w/o selling a max. Then decide to sell a max to pay for the Connie or let the Connie go. I love that red. It's like my RF900 red, and also of a TriumpH Rocket 3 I'm drooling over, and a Corvette...
Vmaxes are like guns....can't have too many....lol,,,,and you always regret selling one off.

In 1994 I bought a modified 76' kz900, cams, jetted carbs, hooker header, barnett "kill your hand" clutch, drag bars, lowered, solid wheel disc, shaved turn signals, no mirrors, fiber glass front fender, in dupont chroma yellow. Paid a whole 1200.00 for it. Put half down an saved an saved for the rest. Did all my teething on that bike. Stripped the inside of the tank, rebuilt the carbs, new fuel lines an filters, new clutch cable. Ever ride a psuedo drag bike on a gravel road with a broken clutch cable, let me tell ya it was hairy! Well all my friends were getting rockets and less than a year later I got a brand new cbr900rr with creative honda financing lol! I loved both bikes! It was like having an old muscle car and a super car at the same time. I worked my ass off to get them, but it was worth it. I traded the 900rr after a year for a 96' honda shadow 1100 ace all black. Thought that would make the girlfriend happy at the time. Well she's long gone and I still have the bike that I have named regret lol. It's now been chopped and slammed, turned into a bobber. Flash foward to the mid 2000's and in 2006 or so I picked up a mint 1985 red zl900 eliminator for 2350.00 I wanted one since I was a teen. Still have it. After that I picked up a rigid harley. 1340 evo, 3 inch belt drive, 70's 4spd kick only, jammer wish bone frame, wide glide front in. It's like a 32 ford with a big Cadillac mill. It'll beat you to death but it's a blast to ride. A buddy built it and I was at the right place an right time. I did machine an rebuild the heads on it, just never thought it would be mine one day. After that I was in the middle of chopping the honda into a bobber and didn't want to put a ton of miles on the zl so I looked for a daily. As a teen I always drooled over the vmax. A couple of years ago I picked up a 2001 for 3500.00 with about 24, 000 miles on it. It had a corbin seat, ufo header, and a short windshield. It was the craziest thing I had ever heard. So I took it for a test ride in a light rain. I thought great were test riding a vmax in the rain. All went well and I was hooked. Well the mod bug bit. Picked up a new set of carrozzeria's from Morley's muscle, progressive 418's, polished scoops, galfer style knock off rotors, R1 calipers, new used grab bar, 2003 factory seat so far. The thing about this bike is that it puts a smile on my face every time I fire that mill up. We are not here very long on this mortal world and I feel sorry for those sittin' on the couch die'n a slow comfortable death. Like Burt Munro said, you can live more in 5 minutes on a motorcycle than some people do in their whole life. And the vmax is one of those bikes that will give you that experience period!!!!! If you have been setting on the fence about getting one, get off your cable tv ass an go get one! One damn things for sure this road called life ain't get'n any longer and I for one plan on riding till the good Lord takes me home.

In 1994 I bought a modified 76' kz900, cams, jetted carbs, hooker header, barnett "kill your hand" clutch, drag bars, lowered, solid wheel disc, shaved turn signals, no mirrors, fiber glass front fender, in dupont chroma yellow. Paid a whole 1200.00 for it. Put half down an saved an saved for the rest. Did all my teething on that bike. Stripped the inside of the tank, rebuilt the carbs, new fuel lines an filters, new clutch cable. Ever ride a psuedo drag bike on a gravel road with a broken clutch cable, let me tell ya it was hairy! Well all my friends were getting rockets and less than a year later I got a brand new cbr900rr with creative honda financing lol! I loved both bikes! It was like having an old muscle car and a super car at the same time. I worked my ass off to get them, but it was worth it. I traded the 900rr after a year for a 96' honda shadow 1100 ace all black. Thought that would make the girlfriend happy at the time. Well she's long gone and I still have the bike that I have named regret lol. It's now been chopped and slammed, turned into a bobber. Flash foward to the mid 2000's and in 2006 or so I picked up a mint 1985 red zl900 eliminator for 2350.00 I wanted one since I was a teen. Still have it. After that I picked up a rigid harley. 1340 evo, 3 inch belt drive, 70's 4spd kick only, jammer wish bone frame, wide glide front in. It's like a 32 ford with a big Cadillac mill. It'll beat you to death but it's a blast to ride. A buddy built it and I was at the right place an right time. I did machine an rebuild the heads on it, just never thought it would be mine one day. After that I was in the middle of chopping the honda into a bobber and didn't want to put a ton of miles on the zl so I looked for a daily. As a teen I always drooled over the vmax. A couple of years ago I picked up a 2001 for 3500.00 with about 24, 000 miles on it. It had a corbin seat, ufo header, and a short windshield. It was the craziest thing I had ever heard. So I took it for a test ride in a light rain. I thought great were test riding a vmax in the rain. All went well and I was hooked. Well the mod bug bit. Picked up a new set of carrozzeria's from Morley's muscle, progressive 418's, polished scoops, galfer style knock off rotors, R1 calipers, new used grab bar, 2003 factory seat so far. The thing about this bike is that it puts a smile on my face every time I fire that mill up. We are not here very long on this mortal world and I feel sorry for those sittin' on the couch die'n a slow comfortable death. Like Burt Munro said, you can live more in 5 minutes on a motorcycle than some people do in their whole life. And the vmax is one of those bikes that will give you that experience period!!!!! If you have been setting on the fence about getting one, get off your cable tv ass an go get one! One damn things for sure this road called life ain't get'n any longer and I for one plan on riding till the good Lord takes me home.

The first vmax I had(92) I bought and rode home on a very rainy day, the guy thought I was crazy,(I found this to be true later in life,and yes its documented)it was just another ride in the rain to me, of coarse I did ride two years through the winter (in new england)when I was younger so the rain was no big deal.I got my Gen II last year at christmas,the cold tires and roads made me cautious but didnt stop me,I had 1500 miles on it by valentine's day,and the first rear tire at 3700miles.

Latest posts

Back