I raced a Texas State Trooper today

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I was doing the street tire shootouts at the Mid Michigan Motorplex in the late 90s early 2000s there were a couple of cars out of Lansing that showed up frequently, one was a blown big block Chevette and the other was a early 70s 240Z with a blown big block Chrysler, watching those guys wheel the short wheelbase cars into the 9s was entertaining!........................I believe the Vega was origionally designed for a small V8 Chevrolet, for whatever reason they never saw anything other than the 4 banger from the factory, I believe the Monza was introduced in 1975 with the 260 V8 or 231 V6 Buick engine, it shares the same basic underpinnings as the Vega and they both make great candidates for inexpensive street cars, I worked with a guy in the early 80s at a local dealership who built a 72 4 speed Vega with a LS7 454 crate engine, I still talk about that ride!..............He also had built a vega wagon that his wife drove in the summer with a sbc 400 4 speed, not super hot but a snappy driver.

My Luv had a basically stock 350 in it. It was my daily driver It only ran 11.40's on street tires thru the mufflers. I was working on a good motor for it but I got rearended & totaled the truck before I got the new motor built.

My dad used to take me up to the the drag strip a couple times each year back in the late 80's/ early 90's. There were two vega's that ran up at Keystone. One time we also saw a chevette with 454 painted on the side of it. I believe the driver was sitting in the back seat, LOL.

Was one of them red? I work with a guy that runs a pro-mod Lumina now, but before the Lumina he had a red vega. Would have been running at Keystone around that time frame.

Was one of them red? I work with a guy that runs a pro-mod Lumina now, but before the Lumina he had a red vega. Would have been running at Keystone around that time frame.

I really can't recall. I was pretty young back then. Probably 11 or 12.

I haven't been up there in a long time. Its been since before I was married. 10 years at least. My wife (girlfriend at the time) and best friend went up to Keystone for the day. On the way home we hit up the drive-thru at Climax. That was hilarious and scary at the same time. Ahh, the good 'ole days.

Latest posts

Back