I think my oil pressure gauge is leaking

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patrick78

Reaction score
Take a look at this picture I just snapped of the top of my oil pressure gauge. There's a small rubber plug on top that has a pin hole crack in it and I've noticed twice now a clear oil like liquid puddling on top of the gauge. I guess its pretty obvious that its leaking the fluid that fills the guage, but what does that mean? Is it a weep hole to be used when necessary or is this an indication that the plug needs to be replaced before the gauge is ruined?

IMG00273.jpg

That fluid is glycerine that is used to dampen the needle motion in the gauge. If the bike is parked most of the time out in the elements that small rubber plug will degrade and leak a bit. Go to your local auto parts store and you can buy a replacement plug, I would take in the old one or at least call them and tell them what you have and see if they have the plug. Otherwise your gauge is fine.

No problem, Tom is a great guy and stands by his work. Goodness knows I have enough of his parts on my bike to put his kids through college.:rofl_200:

:punk: Hey, I just bought a new gauge for about $5 dollars and got rid of the Glycerine filled unit. You don't need it on the oil gauge for these bikes. You will be able to see the gauge also, and no more leaks. Good Luck, Spur

Back