If you were going to do 3 mods to your Max, which would you do?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaxxedNKansas

Reaction score
Is exhaust still the best bang (hp) for the buck?

What if you were only going to do 3 mods, what would they be (best bang for the buck)?

MNK

1986 VMAX

Re: If you were going to do one mod to your Max, what would you do?

Well just my 2cents here,
1. A "T-Boost" or the like is great and usually under $30.
2. Brake mods. Better pads and SS hoses.

3. Seat. Duh:confused2:

Lew

By FAR is dropping the forks in the trees. This will change the bike from a slow corner handfull to an easy to ride neutral handler, makes it look better, and the best thing is it's free! This must be done with care when doing it by yourself or else they may drop too much. I zip tied a few sticks of wood on each leg as stoppers so they wouldn't drop any more then what I wanted (1.5" with stock rear shocks, lower if you have lowered the rear).

Second is using low octane gas. Using higher octane gas than 87 with these engines that have only a slightly advanced spark timing actually reduces power.

Braking should also be a primary concern with your year bike. I'd suggest swapping to post '93 dual piston calipers or eqivalent and better pads (HH sintered type).

Then the cheap route is to rework the stock exhaust giving it better breathing and taking the top "Y" off the air box to expose the air filter. Going full exhaust and jet kit or new carbs is nice but it will never be enough. Which is just it, with power there are only too types, not enough and too much.

Last edited:

Suspenders, brakes, braces... Frame and fork...

Seat is a good mod if riding long distances...

I am VERY happy with all the mods I made except I lowered the rear to much and am going to go with 12.5" rears next spring which means I should have them by August... :bang head: Long story...:whistlin:

1) A metal washer to replace the rubber washer between the steering head ring nuts.
2) Exhaust - supertrapp slip ons.
3) The blonde in 4gasem's avatar. Everyone should have that! :clapping:

Last edited:

1) A metal washer to replace the rubber washer between the steering head ring nuts.
that! :clapping:

I don't believe the washer replacement is unnecessay. The bottom nut is what secures the bearings at the desired clamp force. First, when using the solid washer it might be very hard to get both nuts to align good enough to get the cog lock on. Getting them aligned might require leaving them more loose than if you just used the rubber washer. Second, if you hard lock both together with the use of a metal washer you might exceed the desired clamping pressure when you tighten down either the second nut or the top tree nut. Either way it is not a magic fix. Getting the pressure set correctly is still trial and error. I believe the hard washer, unless it is the perfect thickness to always set the two cogs nuts correctly, just adds an unnecessary layer of complexity to the task.

Is exhaust still the best bang (hp) for the buck?

What if you were only going to do 3 mods, what would they be (best bang for the buck)?

MNK

1986 VMAX

If I only could do 3 things it would be: full after market exhaust,frame braces and a lowered seat.

If I only could do 3 things it would be: full after market exhaust,frame braces and a lowered seat.

I like the idea of full exhaust so I think that is going to be my first major mod. The next question is which full kit to buy? I don't like having one pipe on one side of the bike. Makes me think of my old KX that I used to ride when I was a kid. Do they make any really nice full systems with a pipe on each side? Also, it would be nice not to have to remove the center stand.

I understand the handling issues with the V-MAX but I have never experienced them. The only time I turn the V-MAX is to line it up for another straight line shot!! :banana::punk:

My personal opinion is that anybody testing the limits of their bikes handling (meaning sharp cornering) on public streets/roads is asking to be put 6ft in the ground.

MNK

Check out hmfengineering or www.markspipe.com.

I recently bought a video camera that records in 5.1 sounds so I'll eventually post a youtube video of my mark's system.

Mark

Springs and shocks.

Frame and fork braces.

Better seat.

I think those are just about must do mods to enjoy the bike.

But trust me, you won't stop at 3 unless your not human.:biglaugh:

If I said my three favorite but not neccesary mods.

Full exhaust
Wheels
Badann Scoops and Cybermax headlight

I like the idea of full exhaust so I think that is going to be my first major mod. The next question is which full kit to buy? I don't like having one pipe on one side of the bike. Makes me think of my old KX that I used to ride when I was a kid. Do they make any really nice full systems with a pipe on each side? Also, it would be nice not to have to remove the center stand.

I understand the handling issues with the V-MAX but I have never experienced them. The only time I turn the V-MAX is to line it up for another straight line shot!! :banana::punk:

My personal opinion is that anybody testing the limits of their bikes handling (meaning sharp cornering) on public streets/roads is asking to be put 6ft in the ground.

MNK

Apparently you haven't hooked up with Sean yet?

Apparently you haven't hooked up with Sean yet?

No I have not yet.. :(

When my schedule clears I will definitely come by on a weekend!

-------------------------

Sean! What are the directions to your shop?

--------------------------

Let me post my original question another way:

What is everybody's opinion on the three best horsepower- adding modifications? The caveat is it can't decrease driveability drastically (e.g. nitrous, crazy cams)

MNK

#1. PCW 1500cc tourmaster.........

Kind of pricey, but hey you said best horsepower adding mod right?

Only 3 mods, u say????

OK - not an easy question to answer because it depends on what is your main riding style, streetfighter, highway cruiser, etc...

But, I would say this,

1 - MAKE FRAME STIFFER WITH solid engine mounts & steel gussets (on frame around the swingarm pivot bolt mounts) - alot of work, not expensive and well worth it

2 - SUSPENSION UPGRADE - install Emulator valves (in front shocks), a good fork brace & Progressive front springs and rear shocks

3 - BRAKES - front & back - quality pads and braided lines
at a minimum - also a good idea, change the front brake calipers - R1 or 93 or newer 4 piston Vmax calipers

Once these upgrades are done, than more power can be added (ie: exhaust, stage 7 dynojet kit, etc...) and you will be able to use it to it`s max potential.

Hmmm, 3 mods....
1) Sean's seat - #1 for me 'cause my original seat is patched w/ black duct tape atm.

2) Exhaust - Marks Pipe - Black ceramic coated w/ 14" cans, 2.5" turndowns.

3) Wheels - 18" Carrozeria's front and rear.

Other future mods for Redbone - Suspension - USD front forks(R1 w/ brakes), galfer rotors and SS lines, stage 7carb kit w/ k&n's, bar end mirrors....

i took shawns idear of hmf exhaust and love it sounds great and looks good as well. i put a lower seat on but think its foam is all worn out as its not very comfortable beyond 40 miles. mu 01' had a lower forks in the tree and seems to help handling a little better then the 06.

i took shawns idear of hmf exhaust and love it sounds great and looks good as well. i put a lower seat on but think its foam is all worn out as its not very comfortable beyond 40 miles. mu 01' had a lower forks in the tree and seems to help handling a little better then the 06.

I do personnally think that aftermarket exhaust is the best mod.The sound is so addictive to me that I haul ass most off the time just to hear it.

NO COMPARISON TO STOCK!

I say take care of the inherit deficiencies first, then go for more power.

I thought the brakes were spooky when I got my Max so my first mod was R1 calipers and EBC HH pads. I got them both cheap via EBay and both are a HUGE improvement over stock. Big Bang for little buck! Second is handling. bottom end Progressive shocks can be had for as little as $190 online and offer big improvements in handling. Lastly Racetech springs and emulators. VMOA members get a discount and both can be had for around $200.

Once it can actually stop and turn, then think about adding some ponies to the rear wheel, IMO.

Still wanna do all these my self, but in this order I plan to:
New full exhaust
Sean's muscle seat
shocks and springs

Still gotta figure out how to lower forks in the trees. (I know, its on here somewhere.):cheers:

Back