Iginition Switch Re-key

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So after studying PATMAX's pics, I tore into my ignition switch and found out my problem. This first pic shows one of the metal contact plates stuck such that the plate couldn't complete the circuit.
user5722_pic4432_1298661395.jpg

This second pic shows why--the plate's tab holder melted around it.
user5722_pic4431_1298661395.jpg

I fiddled around with the piece, pushing and pulling the plate in and out, lubing it with the grease from the other parts of the switch, but not to my satisfaction. It bounces back, but I'm just not feeling confident. Just for kicks, I reassembled the switch and using my ohmmeter, it looks like all the switch is "working". Don't think I'll run with it though--I'd hate to be stuck at the gas station or something because of a stupid little metal tab.

So I'm in a quandary wondering what the hell melted the piece in the first place. Perhaps, I'm over-thinking this and worrying over nothing, but I'd hate to put in a "new" piece just to have it melt and leave me stranded in some parking lot.

Does anybody have an "old" switch I can buy if I'm able to return the new one I bought?

Last edited:
Does anybody have an "old" switch I can buy if I'm able to return the new one I bought?[/QUOTE]
I am sure I have a switch out here. Are you looking for a used working one or just a used one you can use for parts either way I have one.

I am sure I have a switch out here. Are you looking for a used working one or just a used one you can use for parts either way I have one.

Well the parts store wants a 35% restock fee, so I guess I'll just hack up the new one and harvest its components....but thanks for the offer. I'm gonna remember next time to ask the forum before buying shit.

Does anybody have an "old" switch I can buy if I'm able to return the new one I bought?

Hey Cap'n. I PM'd ja just in case you don't see this. Anyways, I'd like to take you up on your offer and grab up one of your old switch assemblies that you may have lying around. I'm basically gonna just gut it and use the internals with my original key cylinder.

Just wanted to publicly acknowledge CaptainKyle's awesomeness. His all-around coolna-ocity helped me save around 120 bucks.
bow-down-wave.gif

Back