Info on replacing stator and clutch covers

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbarsch

Reaction score
Does anyone have any quick info on replacing these covers? Easy/not easy? Gaskets required or not? etc...

Thanks...

It's straight forward. Stator sticks good due to magnets in flywheel. Beware the starter gears and make sure they go back in correctly. They usually come out with the cover. I recommend a Clymer.

I don't believe so. Only differences I'm aware of in years after '03 is shape of fork damper rods and paint scheme.

Get OEM gaskets. I had to replace my stator once and tried to use some oil paper gaskets from work. Either it was too thin or too thick. The issue is the clearance. If the gasket is too thin the cover will bind up the two shafts that hold the gears in place. If it is too thick it will allow those shafts to much room and the gears will bounce around and make a god awful racket.

Dont ask me how I know this :bang head:
Cheers

When you are ready apply high task gasket spray on one side of the gasket and apply grease or vaseline to the other side of the gasket.

Gasket to engine= Vaseline or grease
Gasket to cover= High Temp Gasket Spray

This way if you ever have to remove the cover the gasket will stay on the cover without tearing.

Old drag racing trick, used always pull the clutch cover to make slider weight and spring tension adjustments on the clutch to track conditions.

Back