Interesting info from the powder coaters

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heretic

Reaction score
So I dropped some stuff off at my local powdercoater and told him that I laid the bike down and rashed one of the scoops over the summer. I Just put some body filler on it to smooth it out and painted over it. I asked if there was some kind of metal filler I could use and then powder coat over. He said JB Weld! Apparently he uses all the time to fix parts prior to powder coating especially wheels with curb rash. Says that it sticks, powder coats well and no one has ever came back with any complaints.

Just thought I would pass that one as an option for rashed parts!

Cool never thought JB weld would work.
I use evercoat's "Metal 2 Metal" body filler. It mixes up like bondo, just a little product with a little hardener stirred in. Just shape it, sand it and your golden. I've had great luck with it powder coating.

So I dropped some stuff off at my local powdercoater and told him that I laid the bike down and rashed one of the scoops over the summer. I Just put some body filler on it to smooth it out and painted over it. I asked if there was some kind of metal filler I could use and then powder coat over. He said JB Weld! Apparently he uses all the time to fix parts prior to powder coating especially wheels with curb rash. Says that it sticks, powder coats well and no one has ever came back with any complaints.

Just thought I would pass that one as an option for rashed parts!

Yes it is true that there is a filler to do repairs that powder coating will go over. I have never heard of JB Weld but it is nice to know. I do know of some stuff that is a metal based body filler that you should be able to pick up at your local autobody supply shop, unfortunatly I do't know the name. For those of you that don't know the powder coating process. You need something metalic to take the electro static charge. Then the powder is dusted on with a gun that charges the powder at the opposite electro static charge. This way the powder will stick to the part. The same basic concept as dust sticking to the plastic visqueen.

G

Cool never thought JB weld would work.
I use evercoat's "Metal 2 Metal" body filler. It mixes up like bondo, just a little product with a little hardener stirred in. Just shape it, sand it and your golden. I've had great luck with it powder coating.
I saw this at the store when I was looking to fill in the radiator aluminum side piece It worked great but I was too slow on getting it perfectly smooth and afterward it was a bitch to try to smooth out. :bang head:

A guy told me that he had a split in his oil pan once, filled it with JB weld to make it till he could fix it, and never had to do anything else to it! The JB weld is still there.

I buy the big tubes of JB but never knew about it working with powder coat....

Way Cool.

I do a bit of powder coating these days. Here's an example for my Honda project.
This cover was in poor shape so i cleaned it up and used JB weld to fill bits up.
The end result is good.

Attachments

• 003 (Medium).jpg
    003 (Medium).jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 24
  • 006 (Medium).jpg
    006 (Medium).jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 29

Latest posts

Back